Watco Danish Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Need some help please...
I have had great results using Watco Danish Oil (Walnut, Black Walnut & Cherry), but i'm having a hard time finding it at the near same price that i used to get it from the PX on Ft. Bragg. I've found it for about 22 bucks per gallon on line + 11 bucks shipping for either 1 or 2 gallons.
Does this seem like a good value, &, will danish oil go bad if stored in the house, ie-6 months, 2 years....
Thanks for your thoughts
Gary
Currently stuck in Kansas and unable to woodwork :-(

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that I normally pay about $7-8 a quart at the BORG, so $32 a gallon is not a bad deal. I have not had any go bad, but haven't had any around for more than a year. I think that if you bought a large quantity you could put smaller amounts in to Mason jars and seal them up and they should last for a good while, vs. keeping it all in the big container.
Danish Oil isn't much more than a 1:1:1 mix of MS, BLO, and Polyurethane...you could make it yourself for less.
Dave:)

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Down here, it's about 7 bucks a pint......
i never gave any thought to trying to make my own, if i wanted to tint it, what would you recommend using....
thanks for your idea by the way
Gary

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Gary, my mother still had a can, which was probably 20 years old, on the work bench in the basement when I was home last summer, seems she thinks she had used some just 1 year earlier to touch up the table she and my dad had finished together when I was still at home, lo' so many years ago.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I won't have to worry about it going bad after all... thanks pete :)
I found the oil in QT size for about 7.40 each at hardwareworld.com.... best price so far
thanks folks
gary

dtomasch

New User
David
I've got a gallon left over from my floor projects. It is golden oak. I would be happy to send some or all your way if needed. I don't know about shipping it, but I dont think it's a problem. Let me know what you need

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I've been turning some spalted maple and have found it to be the best thing I could put on it... really brings out the darker hues of brown and red and leaves the highlights alone. The can I have is over 20 years old and jsut as good. Lowes and the HD sell it, but also Klingspore's Woodworking shop and the Woodworking store too. Not sure on prices.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I've got a gallon left over from my floor projects. It is golden oak. I would be happy to send some or all your way if needed. I don't know about shipping it, but I dont think it's a problem. Let me know what you need

David:
That is very generous of you:icon_thum , if you want, send me a PM and we can work something out
Gary

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ACE in Hope Mills has some, too, Gary, but take some protection with you, I have been beaten up by their prices a few times

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Pete:
I've never tried to find Ace in H/M, could you give me an idea of where it's located....
Once i get back from Kansas I'll have to swing by and check out what they have
Thanks again
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS