WANTED: Used lathe or advice on a new one for a family getting started

flax10

New User
Mark
Hello Fellow NC Woodworkers,

My family and I are passionate makers who've explored various mediums from 3D printing to leatherworking. Recently, we fell in love with wood turning at the Catskill Mountain Maker Camp. As the holiday season approaches, we're planning to craft laser-engraved, olive wood pens for our Christmas gift boxes themed "Peace in the Middle East."

I initially considered an entry-level WEN lathe from Amazon but am now leaning towards a JET JWL-1221VS to provide room for growth. However, the price tag, including accessories, is a bit steep. I would really prefer a good used lathe and setup if someone trusted here had one or could recommend/vouch for one since we don't know what is good or the right fit yet. I'd appreciate your insights on:
  1. Recommendations for versatile, budget-friendly lathes.
  2. Reliable sources for new or used equipment.
  3. Essential accessories for beginners.
We're situated in South Durham, conveniently located between Durham, Chapel Hill, and Hillsborough. We'd also love to connect with other maker families. If anyone's interested in skill-swapping, we can offer tips on 3D printing and laser work in exchange for wood turning advice.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Hey Mark, welcome! I do a lot of woodturning, as well as laser (50W CO2) & 3D printing (Ender 3 V2 Neo), though I'm a bit away - Harrisburg outside Charlotte. There are some others in your area that I know would be glad to help. Not to volunteer him, but Michael Mathews is in your area (Chapel Hill, I think?) and would be a valuable resource. He may chime in on this thread later, as he's probably at the Klingspor Woodworking Extravaganza today in Hickory.

Choice for a lathe largely depends on what you want to turn. For pens, that WEN lathe from amazon will do fine. But as you said, you want room for growth. I think you're right to consider something larger than the WEN lathe. The general rule is: You can turn small stuff on a larger lathe, but not large stuff on a small lathe. The JET is what a lot of people start out with, but I'll also suggest looking at Rikon and Laguna. I would prioritize looking at a larger "swing" (the largest diameter of what you can turn) over the bed length (the length of what you can turn). Many midi-size lathes have a bed extension to turn longer stuff if you find you need to. My current lathe (a Nova Galaxi) is 16" swing, 44" bed length. I hardly ever use the full 44" bed length. Maybe twice, and once was to turn a baluster as a favor for a friend. In fact, I mounted my grinder on the far end of the bed to economize the space it takes up.

Used lathes are going to be hit or miss. Large amount of the used ones out there are going to be your tube lathes (headstock & tailstock mounted on a metal tube) e.g. older Craftsmans - I'd avoid that design. You also want to make sure that the headstock & tailstock are still properly aligned when you look at it. You'll also want to look at stuff that uses MT2 and a common headstock thread (8x1" or 8x1.25" are the most common) as it will easier to find accessories. Used lathe market is going to be a wide range - lots of rusted old stuff in need of restoration, and some really nice expensive stuff (good lathes hold their value quite well).

As far as budget goes - you've probably already realized that the lathe is only going to be a fraction of your cost. Add in tools, sharpening, and accessories and it gets expensive quickly. You probably should budget the cost of the lathe at roughly 50% of the total cost. I would advise avoiding the sets of tools. Get chisels as you need them, and get better quality ones than the set. I bought the Harbor Freight 8 tool set starting out, and looking back, that was a bad choice. You don't use half the tools, they dull quickly, and don't cut well. You could also go the carbide route, but keep in mind that you'll be spending a lot of time sanding as carbide won't leave as good a surface off the tool as traditional tools can. Carbides also don't need a sharpening system - just replace the cutter. BUT, I really encourage learning with the traditional tools. Not to say carbide doesn't have a place - I have several - just that it's to your advantage to learn them all and when to use each.

NCWW also has a "Goodwill Lathe" that travels around to people that want to get into turning. You get the use the lathe for a 3 months before arranging transfer to the next person. There is a waiting list, and I think the person to contact for that would be Dee2. Here is a recent thread on it.

Hope that helps, if not a bit information overload. If you're ever in the Charlotte area, you're welcome to stop by!

Fermentorman

Mark
Corporate Member
Hello Mark,

We have a used but in good condition, Jet 1014 VS lathe on a stand, along with some pen turning tools available for a very good price in Raleigh. Send me a PM for further info If you are intereste.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I spent a lot of time looking for a good used lathe, but they hold their value so well, I ended up buying a new Rikon 70-220vsr after experiencing one of the clubs machines. And I started with carbide tools but just picked up some traditional tools ..... face shield, chuck, live center, bed extension and other accessories I bet I have spent as much on accessories as I did on the lathe...but I may have a bit of a tool problem....

Echd

C
User
I agree that mid sized lathes seem to hold their value pretty well. I have a delta midi.

Between the delta, Rikon, and Jet midi lathes I don't think you could go wrong. As long as it has electronic speed control and decent power I feel you will be happy.

Lathe accessories do get pricy quick though! And that's before you start with sharpening.

One small note for these inverter driven lathes- if you put yours in the garage and have a GFCI circuit (as is code) there is a decent chance it will pop the breaker. I know mine does instantly. My solution is that my garage breaker is no longer up to code. So if you have that problem, keep it in mind.

flax10

New User
Mark
What a warm welcome, I am so encouraged.
I added our name to the list for the Goodwill lathe, if it happens to be available that is close by and would be a big blessing to see if it sticks beyond some pen turning and trying a couple bowls :)
I am more confident that a good mid sized lathe is what we are looking for and have my eye on a Rikon 70-220vsr also now.
Going to reach out on the Jet 1014 VS as it is a good fit to get started but not sure it if will go beyond pens to turning bowls by what I am reading.
The learning and search continue, with some good steps forward. Thank you!

flax10

New User
Mark
Hello Mark,

We have a used but in good condition, Jet 1014 VS lathe on a stand, along with some pen turning tools available for a very good price in Raleigh. Send me a PM for further info If you are intereste.
Hi Mark - I think it may be stopping me from sending DMs as a new user but I would love to chat about the Jet 1014VS setup you mentioned. Can you try and DM me so I can give you my email/phone number?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I've been in the market for a small but quality midi lathe, a little for my use, but primarily to get my oldest son, (12) in the shop w/ me w/ some "instant gratification" level projects, (i.e. pens, bottle stoppers, etc. that can be started and finished in an afternoon vs. a several week/ month long cycle of some larger projects that I've gotten into recently). That said, as the others have mentioned, small lathes seem to hold their value quite well, and only rarely pop up on the used market, (or ones that I would want to consider anyway). That said, I just pulled the trigger on the Record Power Herald Coronet, and am VERY impressed. Would definitely recommend checking that one out. I purchased from highland Hardware (online), where is is currently on sale, for pretty much the same price as the Jet/ Rikon options, and it was delivered w/in 48 hrs. Cant beat that! I have it on a workbench currently, but will be building a stand for it this weekend, and putting it to use!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Generally if you have nothing turning related it will cost you about $1,500 - $2000 to get going. Besides the lathe you need turning tools chucks, a sharpening system and for you pen related items such as a pen press a barrel trimmer, and a drill press or chuck. Take a look at the Rikon lathes as they are a little less expensive than Jet and others. Klingspor carries multiple models and manufacturers so you can get a look at them.

If you eventually need a larger lathe you can easily sell the mini lathe and buy a mid-size one.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Most midi lathes are good quality and brand isn't as essential in this category. Rikon, Jet, NOVA, WEN and Laguna are all basically the same in the midi category and around the same price point. A couple of different bells and whistles but they are pretty much equal. The big feature you will want is variable speed. I started with a Rikon midi because it was the one on sale at the time I had cash in hand. Woodcraft will be having a 20% off Rikon tool sale at the end of November so that may be a good time to get a new one. For used, just watch this forum and Facebook marketplace as they pop up.

You will need a slow speed grinder if you don't have one. The WEN or Rikon 8" are ideal for this, WEN is cheaper even with sales usually. I would also recommend the Oneway Wolverine sharpening system for the grinder as well to sharpen your chisels.

Tools, I suggest starting with the Harbor Freight tool set with the reddish/purplish handles. These will not hold an edge long but you will learn to use the different tools and how to sharpen and won't be upset about "oopsies" while sharpening since it isn't a $100+ chisel you have to reshape. I started out with this tools set and eventually upgraded to higher quality steel tools as I was able to afford them and was comfortable with using them. My recommendation is to learn with high speed steel tools first and then try out carbide.

If you want carbide then look for 3-5 piece sets on Amazon. You can get the cheap China made carbide sets because the carbide heads are replaceable. You can get a decent set of chisels at a good price. Do not look at the sets that are interchangeable with handles but wooden handled sets. For the midi lathe the shorter handles are perfectly fine, a set will run about $50+ with a square, round and diamond tip tool.

HSS and carbide are both needed in my experience as each has strengths and weaknesses while working better in different scenarios. In the end it comes down to personal preference.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mark, I don't know if you're aware but NCWW owns a loaner lathe that could get you started while you're looking to get one. I don't know it's current whereabouts or if someone is currently using it. also, I might add that I live in Chapel Hill and own two lathes, a Oneway 2436 and a smaller mini/midi (don't recall the specs). I live about 2 miles off 40 at exit 266. You're welcome to stop over on weekends for some turning "training" and tips. I turn quite a bit. I'll DM my contact info.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Hello Fellow NC Woodworkers,

My family and I are passionate makers who've explored various mediums from 3D printing to leatherworking. Recently, we fell in love with wood turning at the Catskill Mountain Maker Camp. As the holiday season approaches, we're planning to craft laser-engraved, olive wood pens for our Christmas gift boxes themed "Peace in the Middle East."

I initially considered an entry-level WEN lathe from Amazon but am now leaning towards a to provide room for growth. However, the price tag, including accessories, is a bit steep. I would really prefer a good used lathe and setup if someone trusted here had one or could recommend/vouch for one since we don't know what is good or the right fit yet. I'd appreciate your insights on:
  1. Recommendations for versatile, budget-friendly lathes.
  2. Reliable sources for new or used equipment.
  3. Essential accessories for beginners.
We're situated in South Durham, conveniently located between Durham, Chapel Hill, and Hillsborough. We'd also love to connect with other maker families. If anyone's interested in skill-swapping, we can offer tips on 3D printing and laser work in exchange for wood turning advice.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Midi-lathes, and larger lathes, tend to hold their value. Finding a good used one at a discount price can be a challenge. I ended up buying both of my lathes new. The lathe that you are looking at is still a small lathe. If you plan on turning bowls or hollow forms, you will probably want a lathe with more swing and more power. There is nothing that I can turn on my Record Power Coronet Herald, with a 14" swing, that I can't turn just as well on my Rikon 70-3040 with nearly a 30" swing and twice the power of the smaller lathe. Then again, over 90% of what I turn on the 80-3040, could be turned on the Record Power lathe.

Midi-lathes with rotating headstocks are very versatile. The Coronet Herald has a headstock that rotates and an extension for the banjo that lets you turn plates, platters and some bowls up to 22" in diameter. That is pretty good for a lathe that has a swing of just 14". While the 70-3040 has a very powerful 3 hp motor, the Coronet Heralds 1.5 hp motor has never stalled - not even close. However, if you want to start turning big blanks, the 70-3040 is definitely the lathe to have, or a similar, heavy, powerful, machine.

Admittedly, I have a lot more woodturning tools than I really need. You need only a few tools to turn bowls. Unfortunately, when I first started turning, I didn't know that. If you watch Richard Raffan's YouTube videos, you will find out in short order that it takes a lot fewer tools than I first imagined. As you find out what you like to turn, it can be beneficial to add certain specialty tools, like a box scraper, to your collection too. Just don't dump a lot of money on turning tools until you know that you need them.

As you probably already know, most new wood turners underestimate their need to become experts at sharpening their tools. In tool reviews on Amazon, you often read where a customer has complained that the tools arrived in need of sharpening. If the tool came sharp as a scalpel, it is going to need to be resharpened several times on the first project where it is used. A good 8" grinder, two CBN wheels, and a Oneway Wolverine sharpening system can set you back over $800 - and it is worth every penny. I can resharpen most of my turning tools in under a minute on the grinder. Though, I use a diamond stone to re-hone them on the lathe multiple times before I have to put them on the grinder. The better you understand sharpening your tools, the better you will grasp the different tool profiles, and how they work to your advantage, or against you.

Above all, respect the fact that like all tools, lathes can hurt you, sometimes badly, and never when you expect it. I learned quickly to take those sharp live-center out of the tailstock when I am not using them. Face shields and dust masks are mandatory. Ceiling-mounted dust filters are more than just a good idea. Sawdust and shavings burn easily, and a lot of the finishes that we use can spontaneously combust too. Stay out of the line of fire when turning bowls and big blanks. Learn how to identify dangerous splits and defects in blanks and either cut them into smaller blanks or discard them. All that dust in your shop is no healthier for your dog than it is for you.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Midi-lathes, and larger lathes, tend to hold their value. Finding a good used one at a discount price can be a challenge. I ended up buying both of my lathes new. The lathe that you are looking at is still a small lathe. If you plan on turning bowls or hollow forms, you will probably want a lathe with more swing and more power. There is nothing that I can turn on my Record Power Coronet Herald, with a 14" swing, that I can't turn just as well on my Rikon 70-3040 with nearly a 30" swing and twice the power of the smaller lathe. Then again, over 90% of what I turn on the 80-3040, could be turned on the Record Power lathe.

Midi-lathes with rotating headstocks are very versatile. The Coronet Herald has a headstock that rotates and an extension for the banjo that lets you turn plates, platters and some bowls up to 22" in diameter. That is pretty good for a lathe that has a swing of just 14". While the 70-3040 has a very powerful 3 hp motor, the Coronet Heralds 1.5 hp motor has never stalled - not even close. However, if you want to start turning big blanks, the 70-3040 is definitely the lathe to have, or a similar, heavy, powerful, machine.

Admittedly, I have a lot more woodturning tools than I really need. You need only a few tools to turn bowls. Unfortunately, when I first started turning, I didn't know that. If you watch Richard Raffan's YouTube videos, you will find out in short order that it takes a lot fewer tools than I first imagined. As you find out what you like to turn, it can be beneficial to add certain specialty tools, like a box scraper, to your collection too. Just don't dump a lot of money on turning tools until you know that you need them.

As you probably already know, most new wood turners underestimate their need to become experts at sharpening their tools. In tool reviews on Amazon, you often read where a customer has complained that the tools arrived in need of sharpening. If the tool came sharp as a scalpel, it is going to need to be resharpened several times on the first project where it is used. A good 8" grinder, two CBN wheels, and a Oneway Wolverine sharpening system can set you back over $800 - and it is worth every penny. I can resharpen most of my turning tools in under a minute on the grinder. Though, I use a diamond stone to re-hone them on the lathe multiple times before I have to put them on the grinder. The better you understand sharpening your tools, the better you will grasp the different tool profiles, and how they work to your advantage, or against you.

Above all, respect the fact that like all tools, lathes can hurt you, sometimes badly, and never when you expect it. I learned quickly to take those sharp live-center out of the tailstock when I am not using them. Face shields and dust masks are mandatory. Ceiling-mounted dust filters are more than just a good idea. Sawdust and shavings burn easily, and a lot of the finishes that we use can spontaneously combust too. Stay out of the line of fire when turning bowls and big blanks. Learn how to identify dangerous splits and defects in blanks and either cut them into smaller blanks or discard them. All that dust in your shop is no healthier for your dog than it is for you.
@flax10 PLEASE read this and re-read this - Pete has SO many GREAT nuggets here, I almost feel like printing a poster!
1. Midi-lathes with rotating headstocks are very versatile.
2. "However, if you want to start turning big blanks," (point being, paly a little bit... discover what you want to do - pens, bowls, small hollow-forms, large hollow forms, kitchenware... etc.
3. You only need a few tools to turn bowls - (you only need a few tools to turn most things...)
4. If you are going to use "sharpen able" (high speed steel) tools and personally, I like them better - others don't -
"As you probably already know, most new wood turners underestimate their need to become experts at sharpening their tools. "
"A Good 8" slow-speed grinder, two CBN wheels, and a Oneway Wolverine sharpening system is a GREAT investment.
5. Buy some diamond stones for the lathe "[Pete uses] a diamond stone to re-hone them on the lathe multiple times before I have to put them on the grinder."
* I [Hank] have a grinder strop that I use to hone the tool in between "real" sharpening
6. I will alter the following slightly [YOU MUST understand how to sharpen your tools because this helps you use the tool better in how you approach the wood]"The better you understand sharpening your tools, the better you will grasp the different tool profiles"
7. ...how they work to your advantage, or against you. A simple profile change can create a finish you do not need to sand! (see some of @Mike Davis posts of his lathe work)
8. Respect the tool "Above all, respect the fact that like all tools, lathes can hurt you, sometimes badly, and never when you expect it. "
9. Face shields and dust masks are mandatory.
10. Ceiling-mounted dust filters are more than just a good idea.
11. Sawdust and shavings burn easily, and a lot of the finishes that we use can spontaneously combust too.
12. Stay out of the line of fire when turning bowls and big blanks.
13. Learn how to identify dangerous splits and defects in blanks and either cut them into smaller blanks or discard them.
14. (another addition of mine) Find a good teacher [and there are a LOT here] who can show you the ropes. Take a class or two, go turn on your own, then follow-up so you can ask questions.
15. Practice, Practice, Practice (keep pictures or parts of you projects to see how much you are progressing!

101 - (This one you already know) HAVE FUN!

Pete mentioned Richard Raffan's YT site - it is FANTASTIC!

flax10

New User
Mark
Wow, I was so impressed with how this community came around me and my family trying to get into wood turning ... it absolutely encouraged us to keep learning and take the plunge.

We have the following coming to get started on our wood turning journey:
- RIKON 70-150VSR
- Nova 3G chuck set
- drill chuck
- pen mandrel set
- pen press
- yorkshire abrasive paste, mylands friction polish, renaissance wax polish
- carbide set of 3 tools to start

I hope to take Michael Mathews up on the offer to come check out his shop while he is turning for some tips. And we are definitely just getting started, we have 30 olive wood pens to make for Christmas presents and I am confident that will definitely get us started and then Christmas break may be the perfect time to test drive turning a couple of bowls :) Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this thread and my DMs ... y'all are absolutely encouraging people to get into wood working, I love it!

durham2015

New User
Rookie
Hey Mark - I’ve Grizzly G8691 wood lathe in EUC up for grabs. Pick up in Morrisville, NC

I’ve a video of it running, but I’m unable to attach video here or in Craigslist listing. DM your email, I can share the video with you

Cheers

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Wow, I was so impressed with how this community came around me and my family trying to get into wood turning ... it absolutely encouraged us to keep learning and take the plunge.

We have the following coming to get started on our wood turning journey:
- RIKON 70-150VSR
- Nova 3G chuck set
- drill chuck
- pen mandrel set
- pen press
- yorkshire abrasive paste, mylands friction polish, renaissance wax polish
- carbide set of 3 tools to start

I hope to take Michael Mathews up on the offer to come check out his shop while he is turning for some tips. And we are definitely just getting started, we have 30 olive wood pens to make for Christmas presents and I am confident that will definitely get us started and then Christmas break may be the perfect time to test drive turning a couple of bowls :) Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this thread and my DMs ... y'all are absolutely encouraging people to get into wood working, I love it!

Wow!!! I was about to recommend PSI's lathe and one of their bundles, but what you've already ordered will be a great start.

I would like to add to your list.

1. Nova Pen Blank Jaws

flax10

New User
Mark
Wow!!! I was about to recommend PSI's lathe and one of their bundles, but what you've already ordered will be a great start.

I would like to add to your list.

1. Nova Pen Blank Jaws
On the way after some research - thank you!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS