Want to start turning...tool/mini lathe suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBurbee

New User
Jay
I really want to start turning, but I am brand new to this. Any suggestions out there for a good and inexpensive beginner mini-lathe. I also need the tools but I'm not sure what basic tools I need to start. I want to do pens, lures, hunting calls, bottle stoppers...etc.

JBurbee

New User
Jay
I know I'll have many more "dumb" questions like this, but is there any major difference in turning wood or acrylic?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
There are some basic differences, mostly the techniques are the same. Drill slowly when boring blanks for your tubes. I blew one blank out from to much heat. The key to turning on the lathe is to use sharp tools, I sharpen several times while turning anyway and a good habit to get into. Try not to be too aggressive with your cuts, I got carried away with too much pressure on my gouge and ended up blowing out several blanks on my first couple of tries. Grab a DVD or go to YouTube, there's lots of good videos to help. Hope this helps, Jim

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I know I'll have many more "dumb" questions like this, but is there any major difference in turning wood or acrylic?

Jay,
You are welcome to stop by the next meeting of the Raleigh Penturners - IAP Raleigh Chapter. We meet the third Thursday of each month at 6:30pm typically at the Woodcraft store off Pleasant Valley Road.
We cover a lot of topics from basic pen making to advance techniques. So far we are starting the basic wood pen process and this Thursday the demo will be a pen from start to finish.
Also, there are members that offer one on one turning instruction for the basic to advanced depending on availability and locations.

Thanks,

JBurbee

New User
Jay
Jay,
You are welcome to stop by the next meeting of the Raleigh Penturners - IAP Raleigh Chapter. We meet the third Thursday of each month at 6:30pm typically at the Woodcraft store off Pleasant Valley Road.
We cover a lot of topics from basic pen making to advance techniques. So far we are starting the basic wood pen process and this Thursday the demo will be a pen from start to finish.
Also, there are members that offer one on one turning instruction for the basic to advanced depending on availability and locations.

Thanks,

I will do my best to be there!!

JBurbee

New User
Jay
I will be picking up my first lathe this coming Sunday, and I can't wait to start!! What would ya'll suggest as a first project? I was looking at a lot of YouTube videos and the cigar pen looks like it might be a good beginning. Would cocobolo be a good blank for a beginner?

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Jay,
Congratulations! You are now in the vortex and you will soon figure out why it's called that. So what lathe did you decide on for your purchase?

It's a great time doing projects on a lathe. I'd recommend the cigar or wall street II pen as the style and function are very nice and there's enough material left on the tube that it shouldn't blow up during the process.
I wouldn't recommend cocobolo for the wood blank, it turns nicely. But since it's a very oily wood, putting a finish on it can be trying sometimes. I'd recommend a red wood or maple for the first turnings. If you are looking for specifically a dark wood, try walnut.
Post photos of the project when you get it finished.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Or you can turn between centers without a mandrel. You'll need a dead and live center with 60 degree points. Less vibrations and you don't get sanding dust from the bushings on the wood causing them to stain.

lottathought

New User
Michael
If you are looking for quality, inexpensive tools...this is one of the few times I am ever going to suggest you go to Harbor Freight. Get the better quality lathe there....going for $269 as I am writing this. It is one of their hidden gems. Get the better quality tools...the $42 set.
Now cut the wood blanks, get your kits and turn turn turn. BTW...you can look around for a coupon or wait for a sale. And you can sometimes find these tools on Craigslist.

JBurbee

New User
Jay
If you are looking for quality, inexpensive tools...this is one of the few times I am ever going to suggest you go to Harbor Freight. Get the better quality lathe there....going for $269 as I am writing this. It is one of their hidden gems. Get the better quality tools...the $42 set.
Now cut the wood blanks, get your kits and turn turn turn. BTW...you can look around for a coupon or wait for a sale. And you can sometimes find these tools on Craigslist.
I've never been a fan of Harbor Chinese Freight, but I'll check out the tools.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
TBC isn't for beginners. But is a more accurate way to turn. You can still use the bushings to get close then finish sanding and seal without the bushings. Forthe price of a good mandrel, thou can get a dead center and live center for the same cost. Just saying there are other ways to turn. I used both. :D

True, but a dead center is not standard equipment for a modern lathe and most penturning tutorials for a beginner will be for mandrel work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors