Walnut Tree Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

temi

New User
Terri
This weekend, the top half of a walnut tree in my yard came crashing down from a woodpecker. I'm going to have to call the insurance company and get the tree removed. I immediately thought of you guys and was wondering if anyone wants to come and take some? I don't have a chainsaw, but there's a lot of walnut there. I live in NW Raleigh.

If someone wants to come and chop some up, I'll give you the wood in exchange for leaving me some pieces for myself. If you're interested, either respond to this thread or PM me!

The diameter of the break is 14". There's about 25' of treetop on the ground and 25' of tree trunk still standing.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I doubt a wood pecker could take out a 14" diameter limb. There might be something else going on - like the tree has heart rot - is the limb soft in the middle?

temi

New User
Terri
There is a woodpecker home in the center of the tree right where it split. The home (hole) is quite large in diameter. I didn't measure, but I would guess larger than half of the tree diameter, plus the hole leading into the home. That doesn't leave much tree left at that point to support the top. The neighbors were on their back deck when it happened and said the woodpecker was pecking and the next thing you know, the tree came crashing down. My guess is he pecked just far enough to pass the critical point of support.

Dragon

New User
David
I'll bet ole Woody is telling all his friends how big and bad he is now for cutting the top out of tree.
:gar-Bi:rotflm::rolf::gar-La;

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Q: So is it solid or rotted out?

I MIGHT be interested in having a go at some of this - but only if the trunk is solid. If there is a lot of rot then it is not likely worth our while.

Also I only have an electric chainsaw - so I'd need to use an extension cord from your house, assuming this is not more than 50-100 feet away.

Also I'm not likely to attempt to drop the remaining trunk - unless it is in a VERY clear area. I have no liability insurance for this stuff.

Let me know what state the tree is in, and how clear the area is.

Thanks
Henry

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
There is a woodpecker home in the center of the tree right where it split. The home (hole) is quite large in diameter. I didn't measure, but I would guess larger than half of the tree diameter, plus the hole leading into the home. That doesn't leave much tree left at that point to support the top. The neighbors were on their back deck when it happened and said the woodpecker was pecking and the next thing you know, the tree came crashing down. My guess is he pecked just far enough to pass the critical point of support.

Yep - I've seen that happen... It's usually a big wind that knocks them out though. You got some tough wood peckers in your neck of the woods, please don't send them over here :gar-La;

Dragon

New User
David
I might as well chime in here. "IF" the remaining trunk is no good for use as solid, millable wood and winds up being kinda hollowish (?), I wouldn't mind getting a log or two if available. I'd have to be via a pony express run though if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS