Walnut Slab Coffee Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I got this 4/4 slab from Shamrock a while ago. It was warped about 2" end to end and had about a 3/4" twist. There was nothing to lose so I experimented. I wet it down (soaked it) and clamped it to my workbench. I sat there for about a month with me adding shims and water to try and get it flat. Surprisingly it did flatten out prett well. I laminated 2 not very good (but flat) walnut boards I had to the bottom of the slab and I think it will stay flat. It's not pool table flat but it's as close as i could get it. The base is also walnut but I stained it with a dark gel stain as I wanted to keep the focus on the top.

Here's the finished table:

pete

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great job, as someone else said; the leg design makes it really stand out.

Sharpclifton

New User
Sharp
I have some of this same wood from Shamrock, I have made a few items thus far and am picking up more in two weeks! This wood is amazing! Your design is superb, very unique!

magellan44

New User
magellan44
HI Pete,
I have to tell you i'm surprised that the method you used worked. I would have never thought that by wetting it down and clamping it to a bench that it would straighten. I'm amazed. I normally would use a router and a jig to flatten a slab. Well done, nice work.

bwat

New User
Bill
Looks great! Even more impressive is your patience and recovery efforts. Nice finish too:icon_thum

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
HI Pete,
I have to tell you i'm surprised that the method you used worked. I would have never thought that by wetting it down and clamping it to a bench that it would straighten. I'm amazed. I normally would use a router and a jig to flatten a slab. Well done, nice work.

I too was very surprised. I really didn't think it would work but I figured it was worth a try. It was a 4/4 slab and if I flattened to with a router/jig I would have ended up with a piece of walnut veneer! :rolleyes: I'm hoping the boards I laminated to the slab will keep it flat. Time will tell.

Bill - "Looks great! Even more impressive is your patience and recovery efforts."
Fortunately I have 2 benches and lots of other little projects to keep me busy!

pete

Goat

New User
Goat
That is an excellent looking table! I especially like the leg design. Did you do these from plans or come up with it on your own? Do you have any pictures of the bottom of the table? Again great table!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like the lines you picked to shape the top. The shape really makes the piece. :cool: :cool:

Very nicely done.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors