wall storage for wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
For a multitude of reasons the latest try at moving and ending up with a new shop failed.

This leads me to going ahead with building a wood storage rack on a sheet rock and stud wall. The wall is 10 feet high. I have about 18 feet in length up to about 5 feet and then electrical panels limit me to about 8 feet. I have tried to "search" but have not had any luck. I know this has been covered, more than one time, but no luck on finding the right threads.

Please show me pics of yours, along with any advice you could provide. Also would appreciate help in finding previous threads.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Keye,
At my old shop I used the Lee Valley system and it worked well.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32145&cat=1,43326

You can also lag bolt 4 x 4's to the walls. Just predrill them, to hold 1" pipe, about every 8"OC, then cut pipes into 15' length's or so and install them to hold your wood.

The one warning that I have is to be careful about making the pipes too long. Wood weighs alot and can eventually cause your walls to pitch if there is too much weight overhanging.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I need to do something like this for myself.

Where's the best place to get the pipe? Would salvage/scrap yards or a habitat restore have what I'd need?

4yanks

New User
Willie
I bought this system from Woodcraft. I have had it really loaded with no problem. 2 years old and no problems, yet.

lumber_rack.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hope you're just gettin' ideas right now. The doc's gotcha on the DL for awhile yet doesn't he?
I've used the Closet Maid slotted brackets from the BORG for a lotta storage. They come with predrilled holes for up to a #14 screw & with up to 18" brackets (and shelves) available, they're pretty versatile.

J

jeff...

For a multitude of reasons the latest try at moving and ending up with a new shop failed.

This leads me to going ahead with building a wood storage rack on a sheet rock and stud wall. The wall is 10 feet high. I have about 18 feet in length up to about 5 feet and then electrical panels limit me to about 8 feet. I have tried to "search" but have not had any luck. I know this has been covered, more than one time, but no luck on finding the right threads.

Please show me pics of yours, along with any advice you could provide. Also would appreciate help in finding previous threads.

Oh no you really don't want to see my wood storage rack it's all about what you should not do... 24" wide 12' long boards take up a lot of room.

If I had to do it all over again - I would do vertical racks - only problem with that is making sure you have a solid floor that can take the weight. I broke 4 floor joist in my shop stacking up a few thousand BF of green lumber. Thankfully I had the lumber to replace the joists :gar-La;

Remember a good rule of thumb is green lumber averages right around 5 lbs per board foot, kiln dry right around 3 lbs a BF. So whatever you do make sure your rack (horizontal) or floor (vertical) can handle the expected weight. Wood weight adds up quickly for example: Oak is one of the heavier woods at 5.2 lbs per BF so a mere 1000 BF comes in right around 2 1/2 tons. Even dry that same wood would weigh right around 1 1/2 tons. That's some serious force on those little ole store bought 2x4's or 2 x12 joists. Be careful and make sure all your stuff is rated the way it should be.

Thanks

thrytis

New User
Eric
Nothing fancy, just 2x4s attached to the wall studs with lag screws, with the supports of 3/4" plywood sandwiching a 2x4 attached to the vertical 2x4 with a bolt. I left the bottom five feet open because i intend to park a sheet goods cart under it someday.

lumberrack-1.jpg

lumberrack-2.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Keye....I cant get pics to come up on here......send me email address and I will mail you some wood storage pics... Dirk

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm doing storage two ways ... horizontal and veritical. The horizontal system is the Triton system from Woodcraft (of whereever). Works well, took all of 15 minutes to install and has been hanging solid (and full) for 4 years.

As for vertical, I took ideas and notes from Alan in Little Washington to build two different systems for vertical storage. Very simple, yet effective. I used some 8/4 Ash then drilled 1 1/16" holdes in at 5 degree angles (I think) and then inserted 18" of metal pipe (HD cut it to length). Jam it in ... and you're set.

Benefits to both ... The horizontal saves floor space, but it much harder to sort through. The vertical is so easy to sort through and saves your back ... plus no ladders.

So far, I've preferred the vertical where space allows (mine are in a back closet in the shop, and the other in an outside storage building)

Glennbear

Glenn
I used a system similar to what Jeremy mentioned with doubled vertical 2x4's lagged to the wall studs and cutoff pieces of barbells for supports. When I ran out of barbell stock I used 3/4" pipe with slightly larger holes. To add support I made sure the end of the uprights were resting on the floor. :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Oh no you really don't want to see my wood storage rack it's all about what you should not do... 24" wide 12' long boards take up a lot of room.

If I had to do it all over again - I would do vertical racks - only problem with that is making sure you have a solid floor that can take the weight. I broke 4 floor joist in my shop stacking up a few thousand BF of green lumber. Thankfully I had the lumber to replace the joists :gar-La;

Remember a good rule of thumb is green lumber averages right around 5 lbs per board foot, kiln dry right around 3 lbs a BF. So whatever you do make sure your rack (horizontal) or floor (vertical) can handle the expected weight. Wood weight adds up quickly for example: Oak is one of the heavier woods at 5.2 lbs per BF so a mere 1000 BF comes in right around 2 1/2 tons. Even dry that same wood would weigh right around 1 1/2 tons. That's some serious force on those little ole store bought 2x4's or 2 x12 joists. Be careful and make sure all your stuff is rated the way it should be.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing the numbers Jeff, now I know why my truck was struggling when I brought a load of KD oak across the Alleghenies from WV :gar-La; With this new found knowledge I will be a little more careful when I haul wood and build storage for it :wsmile:

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I hope you're just gettin' ideas right now. The doc's gotcha on the DL for awhile yet doesn't he?
I've used the Closet Maid slotted brackets from the BORG for a lotta storage. They come with predrilled holes for up to a #14 screw & with up to 18" brackets (and shelves) available, they're pretty versatile.

Yeah, I am just looking for ideas. Trying to be good so I do not have any setbacks. It does not seem to take much to make me sore. I have decided to start PT. The surgeons have a site in Ballintyne so I am going there.

Thanks for the concern.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
OK, I know there have been other threads with pictures. Someone give me a hand in what I need to do for a search that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors