Wagers on Mike and Phillip - Black Palm Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Re: WIP Pics of Black Palm Pen...

...lookin' good, guys! Thanks for the pix...can't wait to see the final product!

Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
Do I hear a potential recipient for the North Carolina Woodworker'er Good Will lathe....that will push him over the edge :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Oh yeah.....Phillip did great today! He got the pen turned down to round and the tenon turned for the large bushing (European pen kit). He even captured most of the turning with his webcam. He also took several other pictures. We will get them posted asap. The palm turned very well. no splintering or anything.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I forgot to mention you should seal the ends before you mill them.
Kind of stops the blow outs when you get near the bushings.:eusa_pray
A little prayer to the Higher Power of your choice never hurts either.
If you are a heathen, the God Blankus Blowoutus usually requires scarifices from new turners.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
No, silly, not the turner being sacrificed, but the turner offering a sacrifice. :slap:

Nope I meant it the way I originally wrote it.:icon_thum
Either or, whichever works for you because of or despite of your offering.:eusa_thin
(it is permissable to sacrifice new turners to protectect yourself from the God of blowouts ,Blankus Blowoutus .

MikeH

New User
Mike
Well folks....after a couple days of work and other things interfering with our turning we are going to finish the pen tonight. Pics will be posted as soon as possible.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Well folks....after a couple days of work and other things interfering with our turning we are going to finish the pen tonight. Pics will be posted as soon as possible.

Slacker!:rolf:

The pen looks good so far. Hope you get it to a finished piece!

During a break on my big project I decided to work on a couple blanks for bottle stoppers. If you are cutting small pieces with a CMS, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Somehow the blank grabbed and smashed my finger pretty good! Thankfully, I didn't make contact with with the blade, but a block of wood thrown by a spinning blade HURTS! I will likely turn to a handsaw for small pieces from here on.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Slacker!:rolf:

The pen looks good so far. Hope you get it to a finished piece!

During a break on my big project I decided to work on a couple blanks for bottle stoppers. If you are cutting small pieces with a Compound Miter Saw, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Somehow the blank grabbed and smashed my finger pretty good! Thankfully, I didn't make contact with with the blade, but a block of wood thrown by a spinning blade HURTS! I will likely turn to a handsaw for small pieces from here on.

We're not slackers! :lol: Sorry to hear your finger hurts, but glad to hear your fingers intact. I've moved away from using the CMS and use the bandsaw to cut the blanks. Much safer. ;-) Did you turn anything or was the kickback enough to stop for the night?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Use a tablesaw,with sled,and jig and a Freud Diablo blade.
Square glue joint cuts.
Kerf is .059.
Using a miter saw is looking for trouble on stuff like this.
'Bandsaw?
Kind of like a sawzall on steroids.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Did you turn anything or was the kickback enough to stop for the night?

Kickback was enough to call it quits. After wrapping my finger I put everything up for the night. If I can squeeze a couple extra minutes, I'll see if I can get something turned soon!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Use a tablesaw,with sled,and jig and a Freud Diablo blade.
Square glue joint cuts.
Kerf is .059.
Using a miter saw is looking for trouble on stuff like this.
'Bandsaw?
Kind of like a sawzall on steroids.

Sounds like a good idea! Do you mind sharing a pic of your jig?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Sounds like a good idea! Do you mind sharing a pic of your jig?
I make em as I need them.
THin stock and CA.
Cut em up make another.
Never around long enough to get a picture.
The important thing is an accurate sled and a piece of scrap for a hold down.
Fingers are never close that 2" from the blade and usually more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS