Vicmarc VM120 Chuck

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The largest of my two lathes is a Rikon 70-3040. It has a swing of 30." I have been using Record Power SC4 chucks and jaws with no problems. These are well constructed, nominal 4" chucks. However, I have been told that when turning larger, heavier timber, that a larger chuck, possibly a VM120 would be a better match for bigger projects.

The VM120 is a heavier chuck than what I have been using. The jaws have a range of motion of 2," vs 3/4" for my Record Power SC4s. I have the 4" deep gripper jaws and the 5 1/8" dovetail jaws too. Both of which can attach to a large spigot or mortise. I always figured that if I go into massive work, that I would start off with a big faceplate, instead of a chuck, assuming that the 4" deep gripper or the 5 1/8" dovetail jaws would handle the work after the outside of the project had been shaped.

When watching YouTube videos, it appears that most turners are using nominal 4" chucks, with a variety of jaws. So far, I have not seen or heard of a name brand chuck coming apart due to turning heavy or unbalanced timber.

I don't mind springing for the VM120, I just wanted to hear the experience of the woodturning in this forum about whether I should add this chuck to my collection.

Thanks

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I use a Oneway strong hold chuck. I have #3, #4, and #5 jaws. I use the #5 jaws with large bowls. I also have the Oneway Talon with #2 and #3 jaws. I use the #2 was most. I use all the sets of jaws. I never any of my faceplates anymore unless I'm turning outboard. I start my bowl between centers using a large two spur drive center.

You will not regret having another chuck, especially a heavier duty one. Just remember that the Chuck has the most purchase when the tenon is sized so that the jaws are almost closed completely.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I use a Oneway strong hold chuck. I have #3, #4, and #5 jaws. I use the #5 jaws with large bowls. I also have the Oneway Talon with #2 and #3 jaws. I use the #2 was most. I use all the sets of jaws. I never any of my faceplates anymore unless I'm turning outboard. I start my bowl between centers using a large two spur drive center.

You will not regret having another chuck, especially a heavier duty one. Just remember that the Chuck has the most purchase when the tenon is sized so that the jaws are almost closed completely.
I currently have six scroll chucks, all Record Power SC4s, a collet chuck, a Vicmarc screw chuck, and a several vacuum chucks. Considering the jaw selection that Record Power offers, I never gave any thought to getting a large chuck like the Oneway Strong Hold chuck or the Vicmarc VM120 or even the massive VM150. After giving it some thought, I can see where a larger, heavier-duty chuck could be an advantage for very large projects.

There are times when I will start spindle work using a chuck. I have used faceplates to start facework when using a blank that had been processed on the bandsaw and already had determined the grain orientation before mounting the blank. Mostly, I start most projects between centers. Sometimes, with larger timber, I will drill a hole so that the drive center fits into, to have a captive drive center, then adjust the position of the live center as I shape the bowl to get the grain orientation that I want. I try to process the blanks that I use on the bandsaw, or with a chainsaw if it is too big for the bandsaw, so that I am not starting out with a badly out of balance timber.

I know a turner who showed me how he often precuts his spigots with a hole saw or with a jig on his bandsaw, beveling them to the correct dovetail angle on his router table. He glues and sometimes screws the spigots on to his blanks, claiming that he has a perfect spigot every time.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
After doing a bit more research and talking to a turner who turns a lot of larger projects, I went ahead an ordered the Vicmarc VM120 chuck which comes with standard jaw and I ordered a set of shark jaws too. I have a lot of large blanks cut from a neighbor's oak tree. Several of them will easily be over 24". With the VM120, I won't have any concerns about overstressing my Record Power SC4 chucks.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors