VFD inverter has given up the ghost now what help.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
The VFD on my 3520A Powermatic has decided to not work after the move to the new garage. After 15 years and a move I guess it is to be expected. So the question is "What do I do Now?"

The VFD iniverter has been discontinued. In poking around the internet I see that I can buy a refurbed one straight from China. I feel a bit uncomfortable doing that. Besides I need the darn lathe for a project that is due soon. I can buy an updated version of my VFD, but I have now idea what to get. And I understand that if I get a new one it will need programming done to it. I haven't done programming since high school in 1985. Help. Suggestions.

Thank you

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Before you jump to conclusions, how do you know that it's done, finished, kaput? Did you let the magic smoke out of the box? Is it showing you any codes on the display? Many times there are simple things that cause an inverter not to work but can be easily remedied. You said you moved. So is this the first time you've attempted to power up the lathe in the new place? Does the outlet have the correct power requirements?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
The VFD on my 3520A Powermatic has decided to not work after the move to the new garage. After 15 years and a move I guess it is to be expected. So the question is "What do I do Now?"

The VFD iniverter has been discontinued. In poking around the internet I see that I can buy a refurbed one straight from China. I feel a bit uncomfortable doing that. Besides I need the darn lathe for a project that is due soon. I can buy an updated version of my VFD, but I have now idea what to get. And I understand that if I get a new one it will need programming done to it. I haven't done programming since high school in 1985. Help. Suggestions.

Thank you
I have been wrestling with the same problem for over a month now. I called Powermatic only to find out that inverter is no longer available and PM can not sell me a replacement. It is a distributor part and you have to order from a distributor. They did give me a link to a site that you can order from but they have none in stock-----may be April before they will be available. The cost? 950.00 plus shipping. I will look for the link and try to send it to you by private message. If you come up with a solution please let me know-----I will do the same for you.
Good luck with it.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Before you jump to conclusions, how do you know that it's done, finished, kaput? Did you let the magic smoke out of the box? Is it showing you any codes on the display? Many times there are simple things that cause an inverter not to work but can be easily remedied. You said you moved. So is this the first time you've attempted to power up the lathe in the new place? Does the outlet have the correct power requirements?
Great questions. The new setup has the right power connections. I tested it and it is live. The VFD is dead as a door nail. And the cover that connects the programmer to the circuit board won't stay on. A puff of smoke would have been a nice signal. Being that it is 22 yrs old I am assuming that it has reached the end of it's life span.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I have been wrestling with the same problem for over a month now. I called Powermatic only to find out that inverter is no longer available and PM can not sell me a replacement. It is a distributor part and you have to order from a distributor. They did give me a link to a site that you can order from but they have none in stock-----may be April before they will be available. The cost? 950.00 plus shipping. I will look for the link and try to send it to you by private message. If you come up with a solution please let me know-----I will do the same for you.
Good luck with it.
I found several OEM of the VFD on Ebay but they seem to all be directly shipped from china. I don't feel comfortable doing that. I Want to be able to return it if it doesn't work.
I got the following suggestion by Keegan Watson on the facebook page for NC Woodworker. https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/powermatic-3520b-vfd-replacement.14784/. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WWG9BS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share The posting has the programming and the wiring for the Lapond VFD. I am thinking of trying it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I found several OEM of the VFD on Ebay but they seem to all be directly shipped from china. I don't feel comfortable doing that. I Want to be able to return it if it doesn't work.
I got the following suggestion by Keegan Watson on the facebook page for NC Woodworker. https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/powermatic-3520b-vfd-replacement.14784/. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WWG9BS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share The posting has the programming and the wiring for the Lapond VFD. I am thinking of trying it.
I had looked on ebay also. when I looked at "about the seller" it said they did not ship internationally.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Jerome,

Some troubleshooting suggestions (based on past experience repairing VFDs):

1. Ensure the fuses are good by measuring the voltage at the load end.
2. If you have a 3-phase VFD that is running on one phase, you may well have incorrectly connected the power. Check the manual, and ensure you have connected the single phase power to the correct terminals. For general information, most VFDs require low voltages generated by a separate power supply that is connected to two of the three input phases (typically L1 and L2). If you connected either incoming power leg to L3, your low voltage power supply isn't going to run. In your case, your 240 VAC should connect to terminals "R" and "S" as shown in the installation instructions (page 28).
3. Check the operator's controls and ensure the switches work correctly and are connected as shown (again, page 28).

I don't see any OEM information on the drive ... if you can, take a few photos of the VFD with and without the front cover and perhaps a clue will show up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Just for squats; since it moved, check for loose parts or wires, then REALLy blow the heck out of it to removes any old dust,chips etc, Get a can of electronic cleaner, spray the heck out of all connections, let dry try again

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
another thought with the age, it's possible you lost a capacitor. Do you know what a blown cap looks like? If you can identify a bad one, you might be able to un-solder it and solder in a new one. Caps don't last forever and they're the one's to go over time. If you'd like, remove the VFD and I can take a look at it for you. I'm in NW Chapel Hill right near exit 266 off 40.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Hi Jerome,

Some troubleshooting suggestions (based on past experience repairing VFDs):

1. Ensure the fuses are good by measuring the voltage at the load end.
2. If you have a 3-phase VFD that is running on one phase, you may well have incorrectly connected the power. Check the manual, and ensure you have connected the single phase power to the correct terminals. For general information, most VFDs require low voltages generated by a separate power supply that is connected to two of the three input phases (typically L1 and L2). If you connected either incoming power leg to L3, your low voltage power supply isn't going to run. In your case, your 240 VAC should connect to terminals "R" and "S" as shown in the installation instructions (page 28).
3. Check the operator's controls and ensure the switches work correctly and are connected as shown (again, page 28).

I don't see any OEM information on the drive ... if you can, take a few photos of the VFD with and without the front cover and perhaps a clue will show up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick
Thanks for the suggestion. I am printing the manual out as I type.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
another thought with the age, it's possible you lost a capacitor. Do you know what a blown cap looks like? If you can identify a bad one, you might be able to un-solder it and solder in a new one. Caps don't last forever and they're the one's to go over time. If you'd like, remove the VFD and I can take a look at it for you. I'm in NW Chapel Hill right near exit 266 off 40.
Good question. I found a not god awfully expensive replacement. I am looking at replacing the 22 yr old VFD while I have it down for repairs. Thank you for the offer.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Thank you
How is the lathe repair going? My son just ordered the replacement VFD for my 3520A

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Great questions. The new setup has the right power connections. I tested it and it is live. The VFD is dead as a door nail. And the cover that connects the programmer to the circuit board won't stay on. A puff of smoke would have been a nice signal. Being that it is 22 yrs old I am assuming that it has reached the end of it's life span.
We have a 42" range that has a gas cook top and electric ovens. When the control board failed, I quickly discovered that the old board had been discontinued. It is a really nice range just to take it to the dump because the control board is not available. After a little research on the internet, I found that there is a cottage industry of small repair shops that specialize in discontinued appliance and tool electronics. I sent the defective board to one of them and for $85.00, plus shipping, they replaced the defective relays, cleaned up a couple of cold solder joints, and the range is as good as new.

Repairing component boards is not a big deal for people who work on these things, just as long as a proprietary chip has not been fried. Just like with ham radio gear, the failed parts are commonly available capacitors, relays, resistors, etc.. You might be able to find someone online who works on the board for your lathe. Just a thought!

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
We have a 42" range that has a gas cook top and electric ovens. When the control board failed, I quickly discovered that the old board had been discontinued. It is a really nice range just to take it to the dump because the control board is not available. After a little research on the internet, I found that there is a cottage industry of small repair shops that specialize in discontinued appliance and tool electronics. I sent the defective board to one of them and for $85.00, plus shipping, they replaced the defective relays, cleaned up a couple of cold solder joints, and the range is as good as new.

Repairing component boards is not a big deal for people who work on these things, just as long as a proprietary chip has not been fried. Just like with ham radio gear, the failed parts are commonly available capacitors, relays, resistors, etc.. You might be able to find someone online who works on the board for your lathe. Just a thought!
Thanks for that helpful information

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I do board-level troubleshooting, but there's no way to know if I can be of service without seeing the unit first. It's usually not possible to get a schematic diagram for units such as these, so there has to be a certain amount of skill and a great degree of luck to fix them. Having said that, anyone who has a problem with an electronic piece of equipment is welcome to contact me. One member contacted me about a problem with two speed controls. One was fixed, one was not.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS