Very Large Oak to take down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
A friend of mine at work just bought a house in Greensboro. There is a VERY large oak in the back yard that is hazardous to the house and she needs it taken down. I'm guessing it's about 5-6' in diameter at the base. I'll post some picts when she sends them to me. I know sometimes one can find a sawyer that will cut it down and mill it for free (assuming they take the lumber too). Another option would be for a tree service to take it down and then have a sawyer mill it and sell it.

Any ideas? Any suggestions of sawyers that could do it, or a good tree service?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I doubt that you are going to find anyone to do it for free, or in exchange for the wood. There is just too much work and liability involved.
Your best bet is to pay some one to take it down, preferably a insured arborist. Then contact a sawyer in your area to mill it, for a fee. And have a bunch of lumber, cheap, that you can work from for a good while.

Dave;-)

davejones

New User
Dave
I know of a local sawyer, but I don't think he can handle anything that large in diameter. If you can't find someone who can mill something that large on-site, you might have to find a way to halve or quarter the log first, or haul it somewhere with a larger capacity.

Dave

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I doubt that you are going to find anyone to do it for free, or in exchange for the wood. There is just too much work and liability involved.
Your best bet is to pay some one to take it down, preferably a insured arborist. Then contact a sawyer in your area to mill it, for a fee. And have a bunch of lumber, cheap, that you can work from for a good while.

Dave;-)

+1

I seriously doubt that you will find anybody willing to take on the risk in return for the log. First off, it's a yard tree and probably has some metal in it. Second, most commercial mills cannot handle a log much over 36" in diameter. Third, most portable mills can't handle a log anywhere near this diameter - either on the mill or with their handling equipment. Fourth, it will most likely require a crane for removal.

Most portable millers will need to split the log with a chainsaw before they could mill it, and that is both time consuming and difficult to do.

This trunk will weigh around 1,200 lbs per running foot, so if the butt log were bucked to 13' it would weigh in the neighborhood of 8 tons.

I'll be glad to pick up the log if it will save your friend from having to pay the tree service to dispose of it, but they will need to have the equipment available to load it on my trailer.

Scott

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Thanks guys!

It'll definitely will need a crane to take down. Since a commercial mill couldn't take it, what does a tree service do with it, just let it rot or toss it in a landfill? Seems like a waste to me. Thanks again for your help!

I'll be glad to pick up the log if it will save your friend from having to pay the tree service to dispose of it, but they will need to have the equipment available to load it on my trailer.

You're awesome. Could you use it? I'll let her know and see what she decides.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks guys!

It'll definitely will need a crane to take down. Since a commercial mill couldn't take it, what does a tree service do with it, just let it rot or toss it in a landfill? Seems like a waste to me. Thanks again for your help!

You're awesome. Could you use it? I'll let her know and see what she decides.

It varies from tree service to tree service. Some of them haul them to the dump, and others will cut them up for firewood to sell in the winter.

Presuming that the log is not rotted inside, and has at least 12' or so of good, clear butt log (w/o any branches in that 12'), I can definitely use it. Thx. Scott

b4man

New User
Barbara
If this tree is live and seemingly healthy, would she not consider having it trimmed and keep it?

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS