Vertical Bandsaw used a a Horizontal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had the idea of using there Vertical B.S. as a Horizontal BS? :widea: :eusa_thin :dontknow:

I saw Scott Smith's Horizontal BS :eek: :swoon: and thought I might be able to get a cleaner/flatter/straighter cut if it was to put mine Horizontally :icon_scra and then slide the log on the gorund or on a flat MDF Jig?

I know this is probably unsafe, but just thought I would ask. :saw:

Thanks~!!! :gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matthew, most band type sawmills operate that way, except that they keep the log stationary and pass the mill over the log. It's much easier to keep the log stabilized that way.

The resaw bandsaw that you saw in my shop is designed for beams/boards that have already been milled from the log.

I've tried sliding a log through a stationary bandmill head before, and it is difficult to keep it accurate. At the minimum, you'd have to build some type of sled to attach the log to, and it would need to be adjustable.

Do some web searches on band mills and you'll find a lot of good info. Some of brands to look at are Woodmizer, Baker, Norwood, and Hud-son.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew, most band type sawmills operate that way, except that they keep the log stationary and pass the mill over the log. It's much easier to keep the log stabilized that way.

The resaw bandsaw that you saw in my shop is designed for beams/boards that have already been milled from the log.

I've tried sliding a log through a stationary bandmill head before, and it is difficult to keep it accurate. At the minimum, you'd have to build some type of sled to attach the log to, and it would need to be adjustable.

Do some web searches on band mills and you'll find a lot of good info. Some of brands to look at are Woodmizer, Baker, Norwood, and Hud-son.

Thanks Scott,

I realize what you have said, I was just wondering if I can turn my G0514 on it side and use it as a Horizontal Bandsaw. That wasy I would really have to make such a jig for it vertically and the logs wouldn't tip over or have screw holes in it.

The Hickory long I picked up at your place (Forgot who left it) I sawed the side of it to give it a flat surface:swoon: ....Man was that hard & Heavy:XXfridge:. I held it on a sled, then pushed it through... :tinysmile_cry_t: I was holding most of the weight :eusa_doh: :BangHead:. Then I took it when it had a flat surface and pushed it through again, killing my back while holding 90% of it :crossedlips: and cut it down the middle, pretty straight. Just not as straight as I hoped....Now I have the pith on one side of one half log, and the pith on the other side of the other half log. :BangHead: At least the Grain Looks B-E-A-UTIFUL just have to lose more of the wood to get each pith out. :slap:

-So that's why I asked if you can push a Vert BS on its side and use it as a Horiz BS? As I have no where close to the money for a Horizontal BS now or probably ever, or the room.:no:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matthew, I know of no reason why you could not operate a bandsaw on it's side.

If you were to attempt it, you would need to figure out some type of table to slide the wood across. I would suggest that you design it so that the bandsaw "cut from the bottom" of the log - similar to my horizontal bandsaw, as that way you could set the thickness that you wanted one time and just keep sliding the log through it.

You would need some type of heavy duty system for stabilizing the saw. Perhaps laying it on it's back and then bolting the base of the saw to a wall. You could then build a wood table to serve as a carriage or slide for the logs.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hmmm,

That's cool, I thought at first some would think I was crazy. You have some good Ideas~! I will think about them, see if I have the room, and how to go about building a sled if it was open side down, and then think about building a table if it is open side up.

Thanks again for the Great ideas.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS