Veneer Is Giving Me A Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roki

New User
Roki
:eusa_thin I could sure use some help here. I just acquired a dining room table set for my next project. I have not yet refinished anything with veneer. The table top is a beautiful design like pie wedges circled by a solid band. The problem this piece is in bad shape. The clear coat and veneer is scratched really mad as if many years of abuse or sliding things across it. In the middle where the leaf sets in there is slight lifting in a couple of spots. Can anyone please send me in the right direction here?:dontknow:
Thanks
Roki

J

jeff...

I have a crazy solution that we used to use repairing furniture that works well for long table top scratches - can you post a pic of the top please? and have you de-waxed the top yet?

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I don't know anything about refinishing, and very little about veneer. I thought I read where if veneer is lifting, you can cut a very small slit with a very sharp knife (like exacto), and use an injector with glue to inject glue in the problem spot. Then I would think you could clamp it with cauls (a long board on top and bottom that would press the veneer down while the glue cures). You may want to put packaging tape on the caul surface touching the glue so it won't stick. I like to buy real injectors from a farm and garden supply (for injecting animals), because they are ground at an angle, very sharp, and threaded. Most of the ones sold at WWing stores are junk. The tips fall off and glue oozes everywhere. Good luck!

Amy

striker

New User
Stephen
If this is an old piece, the veneer may be put down with hide glue in which case it can be reconstituted with a little moisture and heat. Likewise, mom's iron and a damp towel might raise the grain of the scratches so they can be leveled. I'm not a refinisher by any means - I'm sure there are folks here much more qualified to comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS