Veneer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Last year, I needed some 1/2" cherry stock for a little magazine stand. Rather than planing down the 4/4 stock, I resawed a few pieces, with surprisingly good results. The resawed boards have been lying around since then, until I decided to try veneering some 3/4 plywood. It came out really well! I don't have a drum sander, so I used the ROS to get the veneers down to 1/8" - much thicker than commercial veneers of course. So now I got the veneer bug bad. Right now, I'm using lots of clamps and cauls, I might decide to build a vacuum press if I could figure out where to put it :)

Anyway, I've found that hardwood is expensive. Cutting them into veneers is certainly economical, but you still need to buy the stock. To save money, I've started to resaw hardwood plywood. I have several leftover half sheets of Home Depot oak- and birch plywood, and although the figure isn't great, it's not bad. I've found that with a little patience, proper tensioning and a good blade (Woodslicer), I can cut the hardwood layer off the plywood very smoothly. It only need a little bit of sanding before gluing it to the 3/4 plywood substrate.

Still, I'm having two problems I could use some help with:
- Since I can only use one side of the plywood veneer, I can't do bookmatching. Does anyone know if Home Depot keeps its cabinet grade plywood sheets in order? If I could buy two sequential plywood sheets, I could resaw them in such a way the veneers match.
- What is the best place to buy other hardwood plywoods, like maple and cherry? Home Depot doesn't carry those, and I'd like to veneer some other species.

Thanks!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Bas, I've cut some of my own veneer from solid wood but never ply. After buying some precut at Woodcraft I won't be doing much more sawing unless its something special. Check out Woodcrafts stock you can buy most species as cheap or cheaper than a good grade of ply and the choices are overwhelming.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
All in all you are not going to come out cheaper resawing plywood than buying hardwood and resawing it.

For example, a 4x8 sheet of plywood is 32 square feet and lets say runs around $40 for birch. Normally, only one side is good, so 32 square feet it is.

If you buy an 8' birch board lets say that is 12" wide it will cost you say $3.50 a board foot or $28. For this board you should be able to get say 6 pieces of 12" wide 8 foot long 1/8 inch thick pieces so 6 x 1 x 8 = 48 board feet. The veneers you are going to get from the BORG ply are 1/32" thick at best.

This does not take into account the fact that the plywood is going to dull your blades faster.

Hardwood can be expensive, but it depends on where you are buying it. Heck, come over and I will give you some boards.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two other questions to consider in this discussion:
1) Why would anyone want to saw the veneer off some plywood, and then glue it back onto plywood?
2) Have you factored today's date in the answer?

Glennbear

Glenn
Does this mean my online search for the past hour in quest of a bandsaw with a 48" resaw capability was in vain ? :wconfused:

Happy April 1 !!!!:gar-La;

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Bas, I think you need to pay a little visit to Dorthea Dix! Or ease up on the "sauce" in your sippy cup...

Good one.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bas, you win hands down for the best April Fool's post this year...it doesn't surprise me one bit. You're a piece of work...bless your heart ;)

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I guess that takes care of "My Technique for Rethreading Used Wood Screws!"

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Two other questions to consider in this discussion:
1) Why would anyone want to saw the veneer off some plywood, and then glue it back onto plywood?
2) Have you factored today's date in the answer?

I was on working on resawing the second sheet of Walnut plywood when you let me off the hook. I would send you the bill, but the walnut veneer over the oak plywood really came out good..........

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

You're killin' me Bas......

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bas,

Ok, I'll admit it. I didn't post a response earlier, but you got me too. :slap: :rotflm:

Trent :icon_bigg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You're a piece of work...bless your heart ;)
Why thank you Dave! I am honored. But, a posting with this level of meanness requires a "bless your pea-picking heart" :slap:

For those that responded with actual good advice - sorry for taking advantage of your helpfulness :eusa_sile. Next year, I'll probably ask for help on reading the grain in MDF.

:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS