Vari-grind a la FredP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I finally broke down and bought a wolverine jig ( no pics , you know what one looks like :mrgreen: )
i also had the vari-grind in my hand until I saw the price :eek: Just couldn't justify it :nah:

I found some info on a home made one and was gathering my supplies. Needing a 1/4-20 tap I got in touch with Fred to see if he had one. After a brief conversation about a bear in a forest he said " come on over " :kermit:
I was scrounging for a 2" x 2" block but all I had was pine ( everything else was too purdy )
Knowing Fred's [STRIKE]mess[/STRIKE] shop as well as I do I knew he would have something laying around that he could drill and tap for me :gar-Bi

All I really wanted was a block with a tapped hole in it but when I mentioned what I wanted to do , the light bulb went on over Fred's head and I just got out of the way :gar-La; Ya just can't stop the boy when he's on a roll :rolleyes:
He grabbed a piece of locust off the floor and in very short order came up with this :

vari-grind.jpg

View image in gallery

Since he sharpens my tools more than he does his own ( I use mine more lately ) , his vari-grind was still set up for my gouges so we just copied that angle :icon_thum A couple of quick lessons and I was suddenly sharpening my own tools :icon_cheers

Thing works like a charm and didn't cost no where near $50 :eusa_danc

Fred, U R definitely da MAN !!

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm sure Fred would have gladly sacrificed a block of Zebrawood or Mahogany to get you to sharpen your own tools :) Actually, I'm sure he'll miss the frequent visits, don't be surprised if he comes up with excuses for you to come over. Nice job on the sharpening jig!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
twas a quick and dirty thing I done but......:gar-Bi ak-choo-lee I went over there today [cuz I knew he woulnt come here] :gar-La; just kiddin. I haada raid his lumber pile......:rotflm: that should last a week or two duster. provided you dont get a catch and break it........:rotflm:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job Fred!:icon_thum That's usin' the ol' noggin'.

Guess you better keep Fred around, Robert. He comes in handy every once in a while, huh?

sapwood

New User
Roger
All I really wanted was a block with a tapped hole in it but when I mentioned what I wanted to do , the light bulb went on over Fred's head and I just got out of the way :gar-La; Ya just can't stop the boy when he's on a roll :rolleyes:

Give yourself some credit Sawduster.
That's called team work :yes4lo:

You got out of the way, right :rotflm:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS