using MDF for aCrosscut sled ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I have a piece of MDF covered in Formica it is 29x35.75 would that be ok as sled material? I am also thinking of using Red oak for the rear fence and front. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

M

McRabbet

Jon,

It should work just fine as long as it is good and flat. Hopefully, your red oak is straight grained and at least 6/4 (1-1/2") thick. Your biggest disadvantage is the thickness of the MDF -- if is is an old piece of counter top, then it may be too thick. I've made my crosscut sleds out of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood because I didn't want to sacrifice the thickness. I used Hard Maple for the front and back fences on mine, but oak is fine.

thrytis

New User
Eric
The only issue i could think of with using MDF for a sled is the weight. Mine is fairly heavy using 3/4" bb plywood. I wouldn't want to add much more weight to it.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I ended up getting some birch 3/4 plywood and some 5/4 ash. I am trying to do mine like you did Eric.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Don't forget to put the Formica side down- you want the sled to slide not the boards you are cutting. You may want to cut a shallow dado for the runner also. I do that anyway- I attach the runner with screws from the top. If you are using wood runners (I use 3/8" X 3/4" cold rolled steel) it makes it easier to replace runners, they can't wander, and you don't need to worry about sloppy mounting holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS