Using a Tenoning Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I just bought a tenoning jig to use on my next project. The instruction manual suggests that I should make the cheek cuts before making the shoulder cuts. I have never seen anyone either in person or on TV do it this way. I have always seen them make the shoulder cuts first - then make the cheek cuts so that they could fine tune the fit of the tenon into the mortise if required.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I always make the shoulder cuts (all the way around) before going to the tenoning jig to make the cheek cuts.
Feel free to call the people who wrote the manual and tell them I said they are full of horse hockey.

jglord

New User
John
I've been using a tenoning jig with my classes and have always done the shoulder cuts first. I don't know if this is best, but it has worked for at least my last 20 students. Each student cutting tenons for their table skirt boards - let's see, that's 200 tenons cut - three skirt boards with a tenon at each end and two drawer rails with tenons at each end. I do have students use the tenoning jig for the two face sides of the cut and the bandsaw for cutting the top and bottom. The delta jig is a pita when holding a 4 3/4" board on edge - it works great when the face of the board is clamped. I did use a scrap board behind the 1" wide drawer rails.

Like I said, it may not be correct to cut the shoulders first, but it has worked for me. :lol:

Let us know how things work out for you!;-)

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I just bought a tenoning jig to use on my next project. The instruction manual suggests that I should make the cheek cuts before making the shoulder cuts. I have never seen anyone either in person or on TV do it this way. I have always seen them make the shoulder cuts first - then make the cheek cuts so that they could fine tune the fit of the tenon into the mortise if required.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks.

I like to do the shoulder cuts on the two faces-------then the cheek cut on both faces. Then I match the tenon to the mortise it is to fit into and cut shoulder and cheek as required on the edges. This takes care of any variation in the location of the mortise.:) Even with a mortising machine, it seems I always have a "difference" somewhere among the 4 legs of a table:BangHead:.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS