USA Flag display

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I was trying to draw a display in SketchUp and wasn't really to thrilled about what I came up with so I found this one and went with it - sorry about the pictures - took them after I put the glass in and I was trying not to get the reflection
Finished_flag1.jpg

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks great, Phillip!!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers Your miter's look great as well!

I am sure it will be well received.

Looks to me that you mastered the challenge and will be treasured for a very long time!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

dlrion

New User
Dan
Wow! That turned out well! Did you put the hinge on the outside or is is accessible from the back?

Dan

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks everyone - Dan - she told me that it was doubtful that he will fly it again - so I closed it all in - but if he does decide that he would like to fly it all I need to do istake the paper off of the back and the 1/4" foam that I cut to have a snugg fit - I will fix it for him if that is what he wants to do down the raod

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fine lookin work there Phillip.:icon_thum:icon_thum I'm guessing them's 67.5*miters.:gar-Bi looks like you figured out a good way to do em.:wwink: now show us ur fingers......:rotflm:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Phillip! That looks great! My grandfather passed away this past fall and I am honored to have a display for his burial flag as my next project. I just want to make the flag part, but this is exactly the style that I want...with the burl face. If you could pass along the dimensions that would be sooo helpful!!!!!

Cheers!
Chris

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hey Phillip! That looks great! My grandfather passed away this past fall and I am honored to have a display for his burial flag as my next project. I just want to make the flag part, but this is exactly the style that I want...with the burl face. If you could pass along the dimensions that would be sooo helpful!!!!!

Cheers!
Chris

Chris, this was for a 3x5 flag - You say that you have the burial flad - I am not sure but I think that one is a 4x9 maybe - I will pass the dimensions on for what I have maybe you can adjust them for what you need

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Chris this is what I have - these are for the inside cuts - bottom rail with a 67.5 degree cut is 13 3/4 - both side with a 67.5 and a 45 degree is 9 3/4 - I made this one at 3 1/4 deep
I think that some others here have made displays for the size flag that you have - you might look in the library also - might have one in there - I did a "search" and found the NCPete has/had the plans for the bigger flag - send him a PM and he will hook you up if he still has them

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Ah...ok! Thanks for the quick reply, Phillip...that helps. I am curious about the front frame. How thick is the lumber you used for the case and how thick is the 'frame' on the front?

mattiep

New User
Matt
I gotta say, looks pretty awesome. I flew some flags in Afghanistan and am paying to have them mounted in a plaque form, maybe next time (if there is a next time) I'll see if I can go this route.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ah...ok! Thanks for the quick reply, Phillip...that helps. I am curious about the front frame. How thick is the lumber you used for the case and how thick is the 'frame' on the front?

Chris I will have to check on it tomorrow for you - I have the cutoffs out in the shop - I could guess at it but I don't want to tell you wrong

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I gotta say, looks pretty awesome. I flew some flags in Afghanistan and am paying to have them mounted in a plaque form, maybe next time (if there is a next time) I'll see if I can go this route.

Thank Matt - I want to thank you also for serving our great country:eusa_clap:icon_thum - I know that you can do this - just becareful cutting those 67.5 degrees - I don't have a TS that I could use a jig so I had to cut them on my miter saw - very scary:elvis:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Chris I will have to check on it tomorrow for you - I have the cutoffs out in the shop - I could guess at it but I don't want to tell you wrong

Chris, sorry I forgot to check this for you the other day. The main frameing is 3/4 thick and the trim is 3/4x1 with a 3/4x1/4 rabbet - this was store bought at the framing shop I go to so I cut that rabbet down to 3/8 so that it would not stick out so far - you can adjust that to your taste-The main framing was also bought so I has to cut a 1/4x1/4 rabbet in it opposite the one already there to hold the backing board - hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS