!!! Updated Photo's!!! Sapele anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello everyone! Well I have "Finally" been able to get in the wood shop. And I have started milling all the part for this!

tool_chest1.JPG

I did not have any cherry so I used the wood that I have on hand. The front, back, and lid frame are all from some awesome Spalted Poplar. I wanted to make it a little different so I decided to use a ruff cut board board that I have had for a while. I think its Sapele ( I will take a pic of what I have so that you can help me identify it just to make sure), I have glued the panels up for the sides and the lid top, but I need some more for the trim pieces. So if anyone has some that they would like to sell, let me know, I would be forever in your debt. Have a blessed day friends.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Re: Sapele anyone?

Michael, that is going to be a good looking tool box - looking forward to seeing it -please show us some progress pictures of it

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

Thats going to be a very nice (TOOL)box.Let me know what sizes and how much I'll look and see what I can do.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member

My son and I are working on one of those, but we're using scrap pine instead of good stuff. It's reclaimed wood so there are nail holes and all in it but it'll look pretty good for a kid's tool box. I'm anxious to see how the others turn out, especially if done with sapele.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael

Picture_0057.jpg
I

Picture_0075.jpg

Picture_0085.jpg

To the best of my knowledge this is Sapele, (sorry for the crappy pics) I know the pics dont to it well for identity. But i have looked at a lot of different sites the small piece that I have here looks just like Sapele (do I have an imposter wood? DaveO? Hello?) Let me know if im way off mark here friends. :slap: Have a blessed day.

will post pics later this week, the post woodshop is closed tuesday. I think it will turn out well.

Robert I will PM you with what I need, if you can help me out that would be awesome :icon_thum

BillPappas

New User
Bill
The top (first) picture looks like Sapele to me....I have used quite a bit on my bedroom furniture. I may have a little left, how much do you need?

Regards,

Bill

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Michael,

I have use a lot of sapele, and your wood certainly could be sapele. It could also be makore or andiroba. All of these woods are very similar in appearance, and when finished can be difficult to distinguish from mahogany. In trying to match what you have, color is the variable that may be the most difficult.I have seen two different sapele boards from the same stack at my supplier that you would swear were different species based upon the difference in color. In fact, my supplier will refer to "light" or "dark" sapele.

I don't know where you are located, but if you had a supplier nearby, I would go there with a piece of what you have on hand and try to match it. I usually bring a block plane with me, and plane a bit off the edge of a board I'm interested in to get an idea of grain, color, etc. Trying to determine these things by looking at a rough sawn surface can be nearly impossible.

I'm looking forward to your progress on this.

Matt

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thanks everyone for the help. I thought it was Sapele I just wanted to confim.

Bill, Thanks for the offer. A fellow NCWW (Robert Arrowood) has already helped me with lumber that he has, I just need to get him the money so he can send it.

Matt,
I am almost betting on that the tone and color of the wood that I get to finish up the trim will be different. Its something I have to deal with being here in Germany. But I am just thankful that someone was able to help me out and I can alteast have the same type of wood to finish up the trim. I will post pics as I progess and thanks everyone for the help and encouragement. Have a blessed day.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Michael,

I have use a lot of sapele, and your wood certainly could be sapele. It could also be makore or andiroba. All of these woods are very similar in appearance, and when finished can be difficult to distinguish from mahogany. In trying to match what you have, color is the variable that may be the most difficult.I have seen two different sapele boards from the same stack at my supplier that you would swear were different species based upon the difference in color. In fact, my supplier will refer to "light" or "dark" sapele.

I don't know where you are located, but if you had a supplier nearby, I would go there with a piece of what you have on hand and try to match it. I usually bring a block plane with me, and plane a bit off the edge of a board I'm interested in to get an idea of grain, color, etc. Trying to determine these things by looking at a rough sawn surface can be nearly impossible.

I'm looking forward to your progress on this.

Matt

Matt and all of you other great guys thanks for the informative read on the tidbits of info on mentioning woods in which I have never heard of. I have messed with a large amounts or what i would call large amounts of various woods and haven't ever heard of these three that you mention here Matt.

Where are these woods Sapele, Makore and Andiroba native to?

Where in the world have i been up under a rock the last 31 years :rotflm: ,being I've never heard of these woods or are they rare and difficult woods to get one's hands onto.

Oh by the way what are their properties (briefly) when worked down to a somewhat thinner object such as duck call with an approximate wall thickness of a little under 1/4" in areas.
Does this wood possess a high level of natural oils?
Does it crack easily?
Are they very dense woods or mediocre?

Thanks for all of your correspondence,
Chris Harrell

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Michael,
The wood is all bundled up ready to cross the water:icon_thum.I looked real hard to make sure the pieces your getting match.I've noticed that you do get some "dark" & "light" look to sapele.I really hope it is what you need.

Robert

M

McRabbet

Chris,

Here is an excellent visual source of information on exotic woods like Sapele, Makore and Andiroba. Be sure to read the fact sheets on each for key information. By the way, this site is included in our Link Library.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thanks friend,
You will be hearing from someone in a couple days to complete everything. Thanks again friend. I appreciate it very much.

Michael,
The wood is all bundled up ready to cross the water:icon_thum.I looked real hard to make sure the pieces your getting match.I've noticed that you do get some "dark" & "light" look to sapele.I really hope it is what you need.

Robert

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Chris,

Very briefly, sapele and makore both come from Africa, and andiroba is from South America. Andiroba is often times used as a mahogany substitute, but is considerably more difficult to work than mahogany. It's advantage is that it is much cheaper.

Makore is sometimes called African cherry, although it really doesn't look like cherry. Pretty easy to work, and also reasonably priced. Sapele is also a pretty easy wood to work and has a grain pattern very similar to mahogany.

Another wood I forgot to mention was African mahogany, Khaya ivorensis. This is not true mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla), but is generally called just mahogany by most people, and is another reasonable alternative.

Most dealers of imported lumber will have these available, and they are really not too hard to find. In fact, it is a bit easier to find quality in these species than it is to find good mahogany these days.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS