Up against the wall

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
What are the down-sides of putting my table saw up against the right wall? My layout is just not working for me.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’m going to assume that you mean the right hand side of your tablesaw up against the wall and just about every commercial shop environment I worked in our tablesaws were always close to the wall on the right hand side leaving room for infield and outfield only in a couple of my own personal work spaces when I had power tools I had the same type of set up

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I guess it depends on the other machines available. If you can cross cut long pieces somewhere else, that will work, otherwise you may have limitations.

My layout has always been about saving space, I have free space around my table saw and a roll-up door 6’ behind it which I can open should I have to rip a 14’ board.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I’m going to assume that you mean the right hand side of your tablesaw up against the wall and just about every commercial shop environment I worked in our tablesaws were always close to the wall on the right hand side leaving room for infield and outfield only in a couple of my own personal work spaces when I had power tools I had the same type of set up
Exactlly. My building is huge, but too much of it is taken up by my Triumph.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sure it’s doable & I’ve seen quite few shops set up like that. What is the widest you ever set your fence? Infeed / outfeed is the space hog, but it all depends on the type of work you do. I want room to rip a 10’ board.

Getting a track saw has really changed the work for me. I’m rarely running 48” wide sheets over my saw anymore, rarely setting my fence more than 30”.

If I ever get my retirement business going, I’ll set up an MFT type table and do most of the ply cutting on that.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sat pondering with my second cup of coffee.
I can't handle a 4 x 8 myself anymore anyway, but ripping at least 8' is mandatory. I do want to be able to deal with a 60 x 60 BB. I have been using a cordless circ saw and guide, but it is not as good as a real track. Might need to go that way. My saw is a 30 inch rip.
I might have it figured out. Trap door on the infeed side. Maybe a small trap door on the outfeed and then I would have unlimited rip for narrow boards. Moving some of the cabinets and miter saw into the other side of the wall which is mostly my car, but too much wasted space. I can put my hoist and stuff in a shed.
I'll draw it up for everyone to punch holes in. No need to cut up the floor to drop the DC and power. I can get my work bench back into the middle of the shop.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
OK. Maybe. It would be better if I push the wall over a foot, but that is a lot of work.
As I do not, the jointer and planer are on casters and I'll have a DC port under the router. That has worked well.
img004.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Motorized vehicles have no business in a shop…..lol
And, you are volunteering to add another two bays on my garage? I would love that! If I could just win the lottery. Then I would even have room for more lumber storage. :) I tried to give up little British cars once. Lasted a year. Bought three more.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Scott, the Workshop Book by Scott Landis has a lot of info of shops that overcame problems of space. You may get some inspiration.

Roy G

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Unfortunately, it is not running. Midst re-wiring and my first attempt at the cold-mold walnut dash did not come out as well as I Planned. I need to get busy on it so it can move it to the garage. My B takes up a lot less space than the Stag. I really should sell the B, but I do very much enjoy it.

One thing that has me stumped is how to route the instrument recesses in a curved piece. I know, I need to build a jig so the hole is held flat to the router with a collet extension. Just not got around to working it out.

Right now, I am working in the 16 x 19 side with the stairs.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It sounds as if one hobby is getting the way of the other.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I actually thought about a Golden Hawk. Almost bout an Avanti but did not want to take on the terrible chassis. ( Drove like a 62 lark it was built on)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My shop garage is 14x24. I have my table saw about in the middle but towards the right side. I have a large wood storage area on the outfeed side that obstructs rips when I get near the fences 36 inch capacity. So I do not shift it all the way to the wall. The fence also hangs off the right side a little so I wouldn't want to put the side table against the wall - need to add an inch or two.

The biggest difference from your layout is, I think, a 3x7 foot outfeed/assembly/tracksaw cutting station. It has a leg vise on the end away from the table. I have over 8 foot rip capability. I am very happy with this setup but only because I cut large pieces, solid wood, or sheet goods, with my DeWalt track saw on the accessory table. It is bored with 20mm holes on 4 inch centers. I move other tools around but the table saw almost never moves. It has wheels but the dust collection piping is almost all hard line. It doesn't really need to move the way I get work done. The design of this table is based on Ron Paulk's work surfaces.

So I don't think pushing the saw over to the right is a bad idea but it needs unobstructed space for things to pass over it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, my row of wall cabinets has to move. Lines from the mini-split may restrict how wide a slot in the outside wall for long infeed, but I can deal with that limitation as I will rip 4 x 8's with a track saw anyway. Really only targeting a 5 x 5 sheet or long 12 wide board. Miter station will have swing up on the short side. I have room for 8' to either side. If I have to cut long crown, I'll take it outside and build a temporary station.

I have lumber storage under the stairs and a roll around for sheets in the "storage" area, along with the attic.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
The right side of my TS is within 12" of a wall. Note - the saw is on casters and can be moved farther away if needed.
I have a dedicated 16'+ miter saw station for cross cuts.

Originally placed there because the only open space that wasn't used for storage was directly inside the door.

That stated ... I too need a shop redesign.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS