Unsafe heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I put this thread under the safty and health forum rather than the usual griping thread. I had a small honey do project that needed doing last night. I came home for lunch and turned on my AC (24000 BTUs) and a fan to help circulate the air. By 7:30 the temp had dropped to a bone chilling 87 degrees. I did get the little job done but guys I'm doing this for fun and that's not fun. In fact it's dangerous. If you don't have to do it just wait for the temp to moderate. I found that I was in too big if a hurry, sweat was in my eyes and I had no business messing with power tools. Just MHO.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Larry,

I think you've given us a good warning. More than just the sweat in the eyes (which can make for a dangerous situation), the heat also tires us out quickly. If we do work out in the heat, one thing to keep in mind... if you feel thirst, it's already too late. Drink LOADS of water.

Ray

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
it really is kind of dangerous now.. It safer to play at the beach instead of woodworking..

Think cool thoughts.

I cannot stress use caution working outdoors this time of year. A fellow sawyer/friend last year at this time had heat stroke and subsequent heart attack and passed away while working outside.

Here is to the other 9 months of the year that are woodworking friendly.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
it really is kind of dangerous now.. It safer to play at the beach instead of woodworking..

Think cool thoughts.

I cannot stress use caution working outdoors this time of year. A fellow sawyer/friend last year at this time had heat stroke and subsequent heart attack and passed away while working outside.

Here is to the other 9 months of the year that are woodworking friendly.

OK Kyle - Where will you be and what will you be doing this weekend???:eusa_thin :slap:

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
So this means that even though I have been spending my weekends on my orange float at the lake with a cold, refreshing adult beverage (or two) close by, rather than toiling and playing in the shop, I am not at risk of being drummed out of NCW.net?

Whew. <wiping sweaty forehead>

I'm not worried about heat stroke, but skin cancer and cirrhosis could be troubling. Of course, the dog days of August will soon pass, and the predicitable season change will commence, and the flames of the deciduous leaves will replace the blaze of the sun, and... and so on and so on and so on, creeps in this petty pace....

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I just put a meat thermometer in the back of my pick-up under the black vinyl cover with the tailgate closed. It's 138 and will probably get higher. Anybody got any wood they want sterilized?:roll:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm done for the day! spent 2 hours in the oven er i mean shop movin iron around.:drunken_s toooo darned hot fer me!:-D maybe I can finnish settin up this winter!:rolf:.

fred p

sapwood

New User
Roger
IIRC a guy from NC invented the AC :notworthy
I don't have it in the shop, but thank goodness my home is cool :eusa_danc

Roger

J

jeff...

Hit 107 today in Oxford - errr that's actual temp, heat index was 116. It's HOT, ya'll be careful out there...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Hit 107 today in Oxford - errr that's actual temp, heat index was 116. It's HOT, ya'll be careful out there...

I checked all three of mine a little while ago. 1 said 105.2 another said 111.8 and the 3rd said 110.2. soooo..... take your pick!:rolf:HOT HOT HOT!!! but then its august in N.C. its supposed to be HOT.:-D take cover... it will be cooler some one o these days. the we be whining bout how cold it is!:rolf:

fred p

J

jeff...

HOT

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 219

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I spent the afternoon in my shop with the ac running. It was obvious that the ac was not doing the job. Yes, it will be cold eventually and we will all be complaining. By the way, it ain't any better at the beach. Hot is hot no matter where you are.

Lorraine

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Dave, I,m in the highway const business. Try laying asphalt on days like we've had lately. Fortunately I don't do it myself any more but I did for 25 years or so. Not much fun.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, I,m in the highway const business. Try laying asphalt on days like we've had lately. Fortunately I don't do it myself any more but I did for 25 years or so. Not much fun.

Larry, that's got me beat hands down. Laying asphalt is hot even in the winter. I don't understand why they seem to do most of the re-paving during the heat of the summer :eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Hit 110 today, heat index of 125, was 109 / 123 when I hit print screen. Needless to say the pool sure was nice :-D

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 185

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hit 110 today, heat index of 125, was 109 / 123 when I hit print screen. Needless to say the pool sure was nice :-D

My pool water temp is 90º, cooler than 105º but pretty much like warm bathwater. :roll:

BTW Jeff, I like the new avatar . . . talk about kick back 8-O

Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It was a cool 78 degrees today on job site. Only problem was, I have a fever of over 100. Due to recent colonosopy, I couldn't take any motrin to help control fever. . When I got home, I was having chills. Hard to belive, having chills when the outside temp is over 100. Now I know why I have fet bad for the last couple of days. Went to bed last nite at 9:00, but got up at 4:30, as we had to move some cabinets before the kids arrived at 7:30, down at the YMCA. Yesterday in the shop, it was 84 degrees, with a relative humidity of 79 %

J

jeff...

My pool water temp is 90º, cooler than 105º but pretty much like warm bathwater. :roll:

BTW Jeff, I like the new avatar . . . talk about kick back 8-O

Roger

Our pool too is about like bath water but it sure felt good today, came out like a prune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors