Unknown Burl on Jr Gent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Been a while since I turned a pen and needed one for some meeting coming up. This is the first Jr Statesman in Buckeye Burl (Thanks Ras) I've turned and the first burl I've ever turned. It had some voids and inclusions so practiced my inlacing. The finish is CA final buffed on my Beal with white diamond.

Comments and criticism welcomed.

Jr_Gent_Burl_01.jpg

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
WOW :icon_cheers Super nice pen. More details on the inlacing. I enjoy turning also but have never tried to fill any voids other than some very small ones in burl that I managed with CA and dust.

Duane

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Duane,

I'm sure there are a million ways to do inlaying, I learned from Rob "Inlacing" is the brand name of material used for inlaying, but this is how I do it.

I turn whatever it is I'm turning down to about 1/8" over what my final dimension will be.

I put some thin CA in the void and immediately fill with whatever you decide to use for inlaying. I used this verdigris I found at a hobby store for scrap bookers. Once the void is filled I apply thin CA around the sides of the void and allow it to wick in. I've found if I try and drip it right on it washes out the inlay material.

Now I finish turning sanding and finishing like usual.

Hope this helps.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good looking pen. I enjoy the jr's as well.
I've not tried that inlay medium but it seems to have worked nicely.
I'll have to see what Michael's has in their scrap booking aisles.

Rob

New User
Rob
Something else I've used, go to local locksmith, and ask if you can sweep up some of his brass shavings from making keys. Soft enough to turn and sand, and it brings the shiny. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That Pen sure does ROCK Nate~!

Love the design, wood grain and inlay~! Well Done~!

Now did yo learn the CA finish method after many trial and error efforts? I have tried it a few times, and mine look like Crap~! Any youtube videos?

Thanks for sharing~!

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
This is my first time doing the CA finish this way. I did a YouTube search for "CA finishes on pens" and found several good ones. Don't know if Russ Fairfields videos are still up but he was the master at it.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Very nice pen and a great looking burl. Nice job on the inlay also. I love the Jr. Statesman kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS