Ultimate this; or ultimate that; truth or fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Mention was made in the thread "Fine Woodworking Magazine quality question" about the article "ultimate outfeed table".

I'd thumbed thru the issue at the local Wally Word. I figured at the time the only person it was "ultimate" for was the guy who designed it. If I had a huge shop, MY ultimate outfeed table would be paired with an ultimate infeed table, so I sould lay a full 10 foot sheet of plywood down, cut it, and have it slde onto my ultimate outfeet table. But how many people have a shop that large? The ultimate outfeed table for me at this stage is to have soneone on the end of the saw, who knows what they're doing and hold the end while I feed it thru the saw. At that I would have to move the saw before I could even do that.

Same with an ultimte router table. I made my own router table, and it perfectly fits my needs. But it probably wouldn't fit the needs of most of the people here. It's built onto the side of a shelf, just at the right height for me to sit and use it. No fence, because I don't need one. The router is screwed to a 1/2" plywood table insert, and I have more router, so I can swap out routers, and therefore bits, in dprobably less than a minute, start to finish. A lot of you might like that part of it. The rest of the top is 1/2" plywood too.

I see something labeled "the ultimate" whatever, and I might get an idea or 2 from it, usually not, but never seen anything that is "the ultimate" for me, because it just doesn't fit my needs, or wants. The only "ultimates" in my shop are the ones I have made to suit my needs, to suit my wants, and/or that will fit in my shop in the space available. For those that don't know, my shop is 8'X12", and includes a bench bandsaw, bench drill press, 16" croll saw, bench saw on a tool stand, 36 or 37" wood lathe on a stand, router table, 10" miter saw with my "ultimate" mods, plus various hand power tools, wood storage, 1 stic welder, car differential, possibly a bit of junk, and lots of sawdust. And it's paid for, and mine, all mine. Ah-hahahahaha. Life is basically good.

lottathought

New User
Michael
A little over a year ago, my response to this post might have been totally different.
After watching some people on this site, today, my response is this.

The only true thing Ultimate is experience.
With the possible exception of a couple of measurement tools, almost any tool can be be used like a fine instrument when an experienced woodworker starts to use it.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yep, nothing like a chainsaw when you want to do some precision woodworking.

Your favorite publisher would be happy to show you how:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/tips/precision-chainsaw-cutting.aspx?ac=ts&ra=fp
for a few $$$. :rolleyes:

:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm:

"Ultimate" is one of those words people like to throw around as if it is absolute but almost always has qualifiers. The ultimate tool/shop/technique for what I want do is different than for you or for others.

sediener

New User
Steve
Ultimate is all marketing... would you pick up a magazine where the cover story was

"An outfeed table which is perfect for the guy who made it and may or may not be suitable for you"

Take what you can from them and build yours better is what I plan to do...

- Steve

JOAT

New User
Theo
Your favorite publisher would be happy to show you how:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/tips/precision-chainsaw-cutting.aspx?ac=ts&ra=fp
for a few $$$. :rolleyes:

:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm:

"Ultimate" is one of those words people like to throw around as if it is absolute but almost always has qualifiers. The ultimate tool/shop/technique for what I want do is different than for you or for others.

Nah, freehand or nothing, learn by doing. Scroll down to see my Tiki. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/STUFFMADEPAINTED/

I made an "ultimate" (for me) squirrel rifle awhile back, still got a picture stuck somewhere. It's basically what I would have loved to have as a kid. Single shot bolt action .22 (I like single shots), stock very modified, 3-12 X scope. I don't hunt anymore, but it would be a fantastic squirrel rifle, hence the name. Used for paper targets and soda cans. I'd like to have a longer barrel, and a bull barrel, but that would have bumped the cost way up. I wanted to use an old Savage single shot bolt action, but couldn't find one, and apparently one would have cost more thqwn the new Marlin I used anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors