Two Years I've Been Watching This Burl....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I noticed this small burl in my back yard two tears ago. I have been watching it grow larger every day since I first noticed it. I am thinking it is about ready for the lathe...... Would you cut it now, or let it mature more?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Patience grasshopper patience :gar-La; It depends what plans you have for it - what is the size now and what do you think you can get from it

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
How big is you lathe, will this max it out? Can you turn bigger. More importantly can you hold out any longer??:rotflm:

TracyP

Tracy
How big is you lathe, will this max it out? Can you turn bigger. More importantly can you hold out any longer??:rotflm:
Lathe has a 16" swing. And I ain't sure how much longer I can hold out:rotflm:.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's an interesting dilemma. :eusa_thin So tempting, yet with patience, the reward just continues to increase. :gar-Bi If the tree looks healthy, I'd be tempted to just let her grow. Then you might end up with one of those burls the size of a Volkswagon, like Jack gets. :rotflm:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I understand the need(or want ) to cut it. The ones I posted in my sunday walk post I have seen for about three years now. I want one so bad but the guy who owns the tree says no way. I know its sinful to lust but I do any how.:rotflm:
Thanks for sharin that nice burl with me

Thanks Mark

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I would say,just by lookin at it,that you should wait untill about the middle of April,when I get back to NC,then I can take a closer look see for ya and mabe even take it off your hands,er ah I mean help you wack it down.:gar-La; :gar-La;

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Very nice!
Is that Choke Cherry?
Hold on as long as you can, it'll be worth it!
On the other hand, CUT THAT SUCKER NOW and send me a piece! lol
-Mike P.

TracyP

Tracy
Very nice!
Is that Choke Cherry?
Hold on as long as you can, it'll be worth it!
On the other hand, CUT THAT SUCKER NOW and send me a piece! lol
-Mike P.

It does appear to be cherry. Choke cherry, I am not sure.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
The poor tree is probably in a great deal of pain, the humane thing would be to cut it and send it to me. I will give it a proper, respectful after life :gar-Bi

HLW

Harold
User
There is another way to look at your situation. If you wait to cut it, lightning could strike the tree and then you would have nothing. However, the most likely scenario is that one of these guys will come to your house in the dark of night and cut it down. Wish I had your problem.Oh yes! Now what was your address? :rotflm::rotflm:

gritz

New User
Robert
I watched one in a pin cherry for a couple of years. Then a tornado came through and took out a patch of pines in proximity. The clean-up took place before I could get there, but when I scratched around in the dirt there it was...with a big split where the bulldozer blade caught the limb. I still have it, but as yet it has not told me what it wants to be.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Remember..you are going to need 1 yr+ to let it dry! Make sure you have the proper chemicals to let it dry properly and then 'harvest' it as soon as possible!!! You'll have plenty of time to come up with an idea of what you want to do with it!!!!

Chris

roaddad

New User
RD
I had an elm in the woods behind my house with a burl growing right in a crotch that I watched weekly for five years. It is drying in my garage currently. It sloughed off... strangest thing I had ever seen when I found it lying on the ground next to the tree.

TracyP

Tracy
I am thinking due to the condition of the tree, I will keep watching the burl. I think I will realize when it is at the end of life for a burl.......Then it will be drying in my shop:icon_cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS