Twisted hiking stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
I think, typically, that thoes sticks are saplings that have had a vine grow up them. Over time, as the tree grows, the vine restricts the growth creating the spiral effect. I'm no turner, but I would imagine you could simulate the effect on a lathe. I'm sure one of our many turners will chime in here. Good luck

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Stan,

I'm not a whittlerer nor have I made walking sticks but I'll ring in with my 2 cents anyway. First I would rough in the blank and create the major diameter over top of the helix. Then play with wrapping a strip of paper around the diameter in a spiral fashion while maintaining an even pitch. If all goes right you should be able to mark the edge of the paper down the stick. This will represent the outside of the twist where you want the helix to happen. If you offset the line half the distance between two "peaks" you can mark the "valley". Once you have a few layout lines established and start roughing in you gain a feel for it and it will build itself.

If that doesn't work for you, sand it some and call it a "modern Art" stick:-D

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Hmmm, Mike, looks nice. Have to think about that. O.K., I'm done.

Does point up the problem doing it on my lathe: too long - the hiking stick, not the lathe. The ones I have are 55" long and they're my ideal length. My lathe won't do that.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I have the Craftsman Router Crafter and it will only do about 40 inches. If you would like to give it a try your are welcome to brow it if you like. Just send a PM and we can talk about it

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Yes, as I see it, its a hand tool project. Conceivably you can start the twist on the lathe like previously mentioned and finish it by hand. If you give it a go on the lathe you don't necessarily need a long lathe.... hold one end in a chuck and use a steady rest to support the outboard end.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I found this one in the woods. Just trimmed it up a bit.

Attachments

• stick.jpg
    stick.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 205

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Hi Stan new member here. I make walking sticks.But what I do is go out and find the actual twistysticks with the vines still on.I cut them long so if they split hopefully it don't mess up the whole stick.And when I can I glue the vine and trim around it.If you go to HOW TO CARVE A WALKING STICK you can get some ideal for what you want.Most of those guys keep there procedures quite.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
Thanks, Robert. I guess I'm fixated on making a hiking stick out of my Chestnut. I made one out of bird's eye maple a while back but it's pretty much straight with a little taper. I'll probably have to settle for that with the Chestnut. I kind of hoped this would be one of those everybody-but-me knows how to do things but maybe not.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Stan you can make the twist in your stick.Try useing painters tape to put your twist down then use a rasp to remove the wood between the tape. If you messup and hit the tape thats ok you can fix that when you do your finish sanding.I'm sure you can do it!!Hopefully I can get me a camera and post some pic's of my sticks.Let us know how it turns out.

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
Stan: I agree with the forrest interpretation. I lived in Narrows Virginia and a crafter in Pembroke made them by salting his own patch in state forrest helping the vining effect start and then harvest them years later and cleaning them up. He effectively put others to shame because of his hiidden supply. Harry

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Saw an episode of "The Woodwright's Shop" a couple weeks ago in which Roy Underhill carved a twist in some table legs. Some tricks he used:
1. To lay out the spiral: Wrap a piece of paper tightly around the stick the length of the area to be carved, and trim the edges so it just fits around the shaft. Remove the paper and divide the length into (the number of twists wanted x the number of twist elements). Divide the width into the number of twist elements you want (ie, a 2 rope twist, 3 rope twist, etc).
Example: A two rope twist on 1 1/4" diameter that twists twice around it in ten inches of length. The paper will be 3.93" wide (pi x d) and 10 inches long. 2 twists x 2 ropes = 4, so divide 10 by 4 and the horizontal lines will be spaced 2.5 inches apart. The vertical line is the width divided by 2 ropes so it is in the center (1.965 " from edge or fold the paper in half to find center).
For a clockwise twist draw straight lines from upper right to lower left, ccw is opposite: Draw a straight line from the top edge at the center line diagonal to the edge of the paper where the first horizontal line meets it. Draw a second line from the corner to the 2nd (middle) horizontal line. Continue with parallel diagonals down the page.
When re-wrapped around the shaft and firmly taped, the diagonal lines are the layout lines for the grooves (They will form a spiral). Mark them by poking through with a sharp awl every 1/4" or so. Rotate the paper on the shaft 90 degrees (in this case with 2 ropes) and use a chalk bag or poke a pencil though the holes to mark the tops of the ropes. Remove the paper and connect the dots. (If using a pencil, you may want to use different colors for the top and groove)
2. When carving out the grooves (awl marked line), work down the grain and cut from the top (chalked line) down into the groove from each side (Same as you would turn a bead on a lathe?). This will prevent tearout from going against the grain.

Hope this makes sense. It sure looked simpler seeing it on TV!! It can be easily adapted to a single groove (eliminate the verticle line and just go diagonal edge to edge) or to multiples. It does eliminate trial and error for spacing and getting the desired number of twists in a given length.

Go

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Just remembered one more thing, after laying out the spiral, he cut along the groove line with a backsaw to close to the depth to make it easier to carve down into the groove.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Hmmm, Mike, looks nice. Have to think about that. O.K., I'm done.

Does point up the problem doing it on my lathe: too long - the hiking stick, not the lathe. The ones I have are 55" long and they're my ideal length. My lathe won't do that.

Stan, out of curiousity, how do you determine the ideal walking stick length? My son's in boy scouts and I see some hiking in the future!

Chuck

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Chuck to get the lenth of your walking stick you can key in how to carve a walking stick.You can find some good info there.Good luck chasing the boy up and down the hills!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stan, out of curiousity, how do you determine the ideal walking stick length? My son's in boy scouts and I see some hiking in the future!

Chuck

I have always heard that it should be tall enough at the hand-grip so that your elbow is at 90°, or forearm parallel to the ground.
Dave:)

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Your right Dave according to what I've read you hold the stick with your elbow at 90 and add 6in..But I guess it's just what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS