turning material

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne

New User
wayne
Question for all you woodturners on the forum. I have 4-5 oak stumps that have been dug up for going on 3 years now, these are about 2 feet or more in size at the root area is this something that would yield some nice figured wood for bowl or any other type of turning and if so is there anyone on the forum that would want it free for the taking.This is located in Davie county about 3 miles from exit 168 off I-40.

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oak root ball can produce some nice turning wood especially if it is burly.

348b.jpg

Not my turning, but a fellow by the name of Gavin Sneed in Texas.

If you were a little closer I would take a crack at them.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Wayne quick question, you didn't happen to turn them upside down did you?

wayne

New User
wayne
Wayne quick question, you didn't happen to turn them upside down did you?

After my lesson on horticulture from dave regarding the bradford pear trees I guess I need you to clarify that question a little before responding to it.Don't want to come across as the class idiot twice in such a short time frame.:lol:
Actually they are in the position that they ended up in when they were pushed in a pile by the bobcat, some on their sides, some upside down, some right side up,take your pick. Dumb question on my part,does that affect their workability.

Wayne

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol::rolf: I was sitting back waiting on this one...I'm not sure what Jeff is up to with that question, either. Way to avoid looking dumb, though. hahah

Next time you are down in the charlotte area, why don't you bring one of those rootballs down for me...oh...and a Ketchie Creek cake...hahah

Cheers!
Chris

wayne

New User
wayne
Chris

Actually since my daughter lives in the south charlotte area on providence rd near the charlotte latin school I'm in charlotte fairly regular. Ketchie Creek has some rather tasty cakes and pastries but they are still commercialized and not as good as homemade useing all those long ago ingredients such as real butter,whole cultured buttermilk and all those good things that all the dieticians say are bad for our health and that we should'nt partake in.I have a couple killer cake recipes that mothers and grandmothers handed down to their daughters and grandaughters (italian creame,carrot and devils food chocolate cake to name a few and bake a pretty mean cake if I have to say so myself.):roll: As for the root balls I don't really have any means to transport them.They are rather large and awkward to man handle. Would like to see someone get them if they could use them as the LOML is rather adament about me getting the area cleaned up this summer as it should have been done long ago.Tran expressed an interest in them, if he does'nt want or get them all your welcome to one. All that talk about cakes made me hungry think I'll hunt something for lunch.:icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS