Turning flaming box elder

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I scored some nice sized FBE today and I am undecided as to the orientation when I turn this into a bowl. I don't know if it is true of all FBE, because this is the first I have ever had, but my log has a circle of color between the heart wood and sap wood. I am not sure if the bottom of the bowl should be toward the pith (center) of the log or on the outside surface of the tree. I can see where the effect would be substantially different, but I am not sure which way to go.

I have a limited quantity, so I want to get it right the first time.

I would appreciate some input from the group and pictures supporting your thoughts would be most welcome.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The red generally goes vertical in the tree so if you are making a bowl, the flame will essentially go around whether you use the bark side or pith side for the bowl. If you use the pith for the base, the bowl will be smaller unless you do natural edge.
Another alternative is a hollow form that includes the pith in the base. You can drill it out and plug the pith to keep it from splitting.
I have found the red color does turn brown over time. I watched a demo where the color was enhanced with dyes

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS