Turning Christmas Ornaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
I have been watching some videos on turning Christmas ornaments.

The one question that I have is Why do you hollow out the ball?
Since this seems to be normal practice, how much hollowing is done. The walls really thin? etc....

Thanks in advance for the replies.
M

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have not made these. I have decorated many different Christmas Trees. Weight does matter. Those heavy ornaments are a royal pain!

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I believe the theory is that hollowing 1) reduces weight of ornament so it hangs better(?); 2) hollowing reduces stresses on ornament, reducing chances of splitting, so therefore, the thinner the better, up to a point; 3) hollowing allows turner to control size of holes on top and bottom so you can get a tighter fit that will last longer because you let the globe dry thoroughly prior to making final hole cuts and gluing. There may be other reasons but I think this covers most important ones.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Basically I hollow them due to weight. A small ornament of certain woods can be very heavy compared to a similar one hollowed out.
Good answers Steve, the other reasons you posted are valid also.

gritz

New User
Robert
I think I remember that the standard is 3 oz when we make them for our turning club to donate as a decorated tree. I haven't been to any meetings lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors