Turned box, first attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I turned a box tonight for the first time. It's walnut and and it actually makes the "pop" sound when you open it. :eusa_danc

trentpics_227.jpg

trentpics_229.jpg

The photo quality isn't that good. I know about the screw holes too. Probably could've used a smaller face plate for this one.

Thanks for looking, :wink_smil

Trent

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like you're off to a good start Trent! Keep up the work. The good thing about firsts is you learn where to improve for the second!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you got the "Pop" when you open it you've done really well. That friction fit is a very thin line between working and not.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks fellas. :icon_thum

Dave,

You're right, the "pop" sound is a VERY thin line. I was taking off about a 64'th of an inch at a time. Even my boss hung out after work to watch. :eek: I know it's far from perfect, but I'm pleased with it on my first attempt. Also, the top was supposed to be the bottom originally. Had some chuck issues and had to do what I could with it.

Thanks,

DavidF

New User
David
Nice job Trent, the "feel" of the lid fit separates the "good" boxes from the "ok" boxes, looks like you have "good" box there. The other parts that went wrong are easily fixed on your next one, but the patience to get that good fit is a fine art

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much for the kind words fellas. :notworthy: I feel like I need to learn more about the "process" of turning a box, rather than technique. I was trying to recall the dvd that skeeter lent me for a while. I only watched that one a few times, but it did help. I just can't remember whether or not he started with the chuck, faceplate, bottom or top, etc. :eusa_thin

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice!
If you get the chance check out Raffan's video on basic turning.
He turns a lidded box so fast its amazing. He works "slow" for the camera... Course that's part of why he Raffan. His technique is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS