Turn Big or Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
This is so wrong and so scary at the same time :eek:.

[video=youtube;30zO31Xwud8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30zO31Xwud8[/video]

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
See? There's nothing to wood turning. Just take away all the wood that doesn't look like a big ol' spindle! I believe I would have had to swap that channel iron steady rest for a light gauge railroad iron, though. That thing looked like it had been through the wringer.
Pity it had to check open like that, though. 'tis the nature of the beast.....

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I could feel the floor shaking while I watched. That man sure has some intestinal fortitude. Can't say he has a really BIG pair of XXXXX on here. That looks like a hard way to make a living. :nah:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I would do it... If I were a crazy spinner (which I'm not) but if I were this is the kind of spinning I would do. But I think I would sit in the cab if my bobcat and use the fork instead of that wood beater that guy is using.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watch that video again and notice the speed control he uses - that is one way to do it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Even a small log can hand out a brutal beating. Note when that guy first starts how the tool is driven back each time the log comes around. Getting the log round is the toughest part and that guy seems to know what he's doing. Using a small railroad rail as a tool rest is a good idea. The tools he's using are big strong. They have to be to take the shock loads. If a man is turning a log by hand, that's about the way its done.

My son turned just a small log by hand. He said it made his hands and arms sore during the roughing out process.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​No Kent, it's not all that dangerous you've just got to know what you're doing. I have a friend here in Charlotte that's been turning what he refers to as large vessels. Anatoly's art sell for several thousand bucks each. His lathe is a monster over 2000 pounds. His shop is set up to handle large logs from the back lot to the lathe. He turns green and drys for months before finishing the turning. Check out his web: www.anatolytsiris.com Anatoly is Ukranian and has been in the US a good many years. His wife is a painter.

Pop

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Couple things...
1) You forgot "awesome" in your description. ;)
2) The rest IS railroad track
3) Watch his hands as he works, the man knows what he's doing. Also, look at his age. He still has all his fingers and eyeballs. It's clearly not as dangerous (to him) as it would be to us. If I tried it, the ambulance had better be sitting in my yard before I chucked up the log. lol
4) What's the speed control? I can't tell what he's doing. Is he just turning it on and off, or is there a momentary switch or something?

Rick M

New User
Rick
Yeah this video was put up by someone that taps keyboards for a living. Anything resembling manual labor looks dangerous to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors