Tung oil, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenBen

New User
Ben
I recently finished a coffee table as seen here:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/coffee-table-project-completed-30512/

with a couple of coats of tung oil. I like the look of it as is now, however I wonder if I should put something else on the top to make it more durable, just as a measure of protection. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something that won't alter the natural look it has now that the tung oil has finished soaking up/drying out.

THANKS!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Real tung oil? A few coats of that have proved durable enough to me and several experts, but you will get some differing opinions. I have used tung oil on several projects, some that lived outdoors for months at a time, and had no trouble.

norm932

New User
norm
I really like a tung oil on walnut and cherry. As far as taking care of it not much to do, should it ever look like its drying out just put another coat of tung oil on it. Ever get scratched sand it out and recoat. Nice job

BenBen

New User
Ben
Thanks for the advice. I figured from a maintenance standpoint it was a good choice to go with since it seems you could just apply more as needed when needed.

Yeah, it is the real stuff, I cut it with mineral spirits since it was quite thick in it's pure form.

gritz

New User
Robert
I used a mixture of pure tung oil, thinned with mineral spirits and applied 8 coats several days apart with 0000 steel wool on a walnut bathroom vanity in 1980. I added little varnish in the last three coats. It still looks like it was finished yesterday, and the beauty of the wood shines through the deep finish.
I am planning to put the same finish on two mahogany exterior doors I plan to install later this year.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tung oil will provide very little protection to the wood from spills and moisture movement. Not too many things will and provide that soaked into the wood look/feel. Your best protection products are going to be film forming finishes like Poly, Varnish and Shellac. If you want to protect the wood I would recommend a film finish, but if you like the look you have now and don't care about potential damage, go with a good coating of paste wax, and keep up with it every couple of months.

MTCW,
Dave:)

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Pure Tung Oil provides a hard and tough surface finish that is absolutely waterproof; impervious to dust, alcohol, acetone, fruit and vegetable acids; and it doesn't darken with age like Linseed and other vegetable oils.
That's a quote from Russ Fairfield, found here:
http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish6.shtml

it provides a tough, highly water-resistant finish which does not darken noticeably with age
from the Wikipedia entry for tung oil

I personally have used it on deck rails on a sail boat that was left in the weather and it only needed touching up twice a year. I have used it on scroll saw Halloween yard crafts that have stayed waterproof for a few years, but are only out in the weather a few weeks a year and stored in an unheated/uncooled attic the rest of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS