TS Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Update:
I received the fence a few days after ordering (much sooner than anticipted from Amazon), took til now to get to write about it though (shadow box took priority) anyway, I like the better/higher quality feel of the Uni, definitely precise, I had to measure the first several times, but now I trust her..... I also like the extra length of the fence, feels more controlled when i run a piece along... the 30" width is a good compromise for my shop as well
All in all, worth the price of admission
Take care
Gary

P.S. pictorial in my Tools photo album which will give you an idea of the size difference

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Gary, that's a nice looking set-up.:icon_thum I know your going to like that increased rip capacity as well as the length of the fence itself. Are you going to enlarge the extension table to the right where your router is mounted now?

BTW..........I believe your latest acquisition qualifies you for a complementary YOU SUCK!:lol:

D L

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
DL:
Thanks for the acknowledgement :lol:
I do plan to make a proper size extension/router table, I'm going to try the torsion box method and I'll also enlarge the saw base which will move the wheels out further, that'll make the whole affair more stable.
Do you think high pressure laminate is the best route to go for the top???
Gary

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Gary,
Are you still interested in selling the old fence?
Let me know if you have a price in mind.
Thanks,Ron

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Beware the Griz alumiclassic extended fence. The long rails are thin gauge extruded aluminum. The short rails are box steel, though. The regular classic is just about the same as a beismeyer. If memory serves, I think the fences of these two are interchangeble with the rails. They adjust the same, lock the same, and deflect (practically none) the same. I'm talking about the industrial beismeyer. The home shop beismeyer is just about as good.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Been hard at work the last 2 days building a new TS base and then a torsion type extension/router table... I must say that it has been lots of fun. I found out also that having the ability to lay the Uni fence down low is a bonus. Some times I feel like my hand is trapped by a taller fence on certain cuts, this gives you lots of freedom to the right...
I also like sliding the fence toward me for more lateral support prior to a large piece of wood feeding into the blade, feels like it has stabilized before i even get to the blade...
Check out my Tools photo album for more pics...
Take care
Gary

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Looking good Gary. Glad you're happy with the Unifence.

I know it's kind of like the Ford/Chevy thing, but I personally think the Unifence is a superior choice over the Beismeyer for some of the very reasons you mention.

You might also want to take a look at the little "shorty" fence that Delta sells as well. It works great for use as a cross-cut gauge without the cumbersomeness of the long fence sticking out at the front of your saw.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Hugh:
I've thought about the short fence, not convinced I need it yet... Probable will after i bang into the fence when i forget to slide it back into place :roll:
Gary

hpetty

New User
Hugh
kota62 said:
Hugh:
I've thought about the short fence, not convinced I need it yet... Probable will after i bang into the fence when i forget to slide it back into place :roll:
Gary

Okay were you watching me in my shop a few years ago? :lol: :lol: I got a pretty nasty scrape across my abdomen when I finished a cut, stepped to my right and walked right into the end of the fence. Ordered the shorty right after that.

Which brings up a technical survey question.... I wonder what percentage of tool purchases are due to knowing ahead of time that you need a new tool for a task vs. doing something stupid/unsafe with existing tools that made you go out and buy the right tool for the job afterwards? :?: :?: :?:

As I look at my tools it may be running 50/50 for me. :mrgreen:

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Hugh:
In my USAF job I work in the weapons field (fixing guns and such) pretty high risk if you don''t pay attention, I tend to visualise worst case senarios every time i wood work... cutting fingers ect so i pay very close attention, I must admit that it's paid off so far, in the last 12 years i've nicked a fingernail on my TS and shaved a piece of fingernail with my block plane (serious knocking of wood going on as i type). As soon as i had the Uni in place i could see the probability of swacking the fence when it's extended... just give me time, i'll hit it...LOL
Take care
Gary

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I was making tenons today using the slide back feature of the Uni Fence, worked incredibly well, except, as Hugh warned me, you can walk into the 3' of rail hanging out beside you :eusa_doh:
So I was wondering, how long is the short fence and is Amazon the best place to get one of these...
I tried to get a damaged full length fence on e-bay but was out bid, I was going to cut it down and also see if others were interested in a short piece as well.....
Take care
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS