TS Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I have a Grizzly 1022 T/S that I would like to upgrade the fence (good tax return due to multi-month layover in Afghanistan:-( )
I have looked at the Vega, Delta and Mulecabs, all look pretty good for my needs (26-40" to right of blade and $300.00 range). Amazon has a few good deals running now so I thought I might take advantage of that...
Also while I have you, is an upgraded fence really that worth having, right now I use my tape measure to ensure the fence is the proper width, do these fences really make that unnecessary???

Monty

New User
Monty
If the cursor is set right, then pretty much ANY fence will keep you from having to use a tape measure. (BTW, I don't really trust tape measures for truly precise measuring - use a metal rule). If you're going to upgrade your fence, what you should be looking for is something that is more sturdy and rigid - to minimize deflection through the cut. I am not that familiar with the pro's & con's of the various fences... perhaps someone else here knows of some good reviews on the topic. As far as I know, not much really beats the Biesemeyer style fence for strength.

EDIT: OK, Steve, the penquin has GOT to go! :eusa_doh:

M

McRabbet

Gary, I've got a Grizzly G1023SLX cabinet saw that comes with the Shop Fox Classic Fence. The fence is rock solid and Grizzly sells it (G8826) as an add-on fence with standard 42" rails for $225 plus shipping or in the extended version (G9220) for $275 plus shipping. My SLX has the latter fence and it includes 7' rails and legs for the extension table. Both sides of the fence are fitted with a piece of HPDE that makes them real slippery and, as I said, it is rock solid. Great value.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If you have the space I would definitely go with the longer rails. Once I adjust my cursor for the blade I am using, I never use a tape because it is dead accurate. I have the other Shop Fox fence on my Grizzly, it is extremely sturdy and accurate. The only think I don't like about it is the rear attachment point. It protrudes about 12" past the saw and you cannot butt an outfeed directly up to the table.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

On the Shop Fox Classic, the rear rail attaches so you can get an outfeed table less that 1-1/2" thick up to the edge of the table. It clamps only to the front rail, but is rock solid. Center tub is hollow and fixtures can be added onto it.

Rob

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I upgraded an older Tawainese contractor's saw years ago with the Delta Fence. The upgrade was pretty painless and I found the fence to be a HUGE improvement for the saw. Can't speak to how the upgrade would go for the Grizzly though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
One of the coolest things I have seen in TS fences is the Incra fence. Member Jonz has one, and it automatically locks in place at every 1/32" increment. You can fine adjust it past that point. That gives you complete repeat ability. With a most fence systems you still have to rely on your eyes to discern exactly where the fence is. If you need to make a duplicate cut, after you've moved the fence, it is darn near impossible to get exactly the same measurement. Also the Incra fence rides on a front and back rail keeping it perfectly parallel at all times. Pretty sweet set up, might be a little rich for the budget though. My .02,

Dave:)

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday before the $50 off of $250 deal closed out on Amazon.... I went with the Delta Uni Fence, 30" width model. I like the idea of sliding the fence forward and back to allow it to be used as a crosscut stop, ect... I also like being able to lay the fence down very low, i just hope reality is as good as i envision it being using this feature... I have also eyed the add on fences you can buy to make it act like a normal looking fence :). I ended up paying $215 delivered to the house, should get it first week of March. Amazon screwed up by dropping the promotion code, but I called their customer service this morning (It's a call back system, took less than 30 seconds for them to call me and hook me to a real person) and they were very good about crediting the 50 bucks back to my account
P.S. very cool to see so many folks on the site today...
Gary

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Gary,

I'll be interested in your feedback on that fence. I've always liked the concept but have no experience with it in use.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
kota62 said:
.... I went with the Delta Uni Fence, 30" width model. I like the idea of sliding the fence forward and back to allow it to be used as a crosscut stop, ect... I also like being able to lay the fence down very low,

Gary,

I bought my Unisaw with the Delta Unifence for the same reason you did. I even bought the little "shorty" fence so I didn't have to walk around the protruding portion when I was dadoing, etc. I have never regretted choosing the Unifence over the Beismeyer. The one drawback I have though is that it is a little difficult to attach a wooden auxillary fence. I've never seen an good design for that.

Otherwise I think you'll really like that choice.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
hpetty said:
Gary,

I bought my Unisaw with the Delta Unifence for the same reason you did. I even bought the little "shorty" fence so I didn't have to walk around the protruding portion when I was dadoing, etc. I have never regretted choosing the Unifence over the Beismeyer. The one drawback I have though is that it is a little difficult to attach a wooden auxillary fence. I've never seen an good design for that.

Otherwise I think you'll really like that choice.

I found this site which might be useful
Gary
http://www.ttrackusa.com/

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Kota,
Is your old 1022 fence still working?
Is it the old style with the 2 bars?
Would you be interested in selling the one you removed?
e-mail me if you're interested in selling it.

yf
rmatthes@nc.rr.com

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Ron:
Sounds like a good idea, let me have the uni on for a week or so and i'll let you know
Gary

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
hpetty said:
Gary,

Check out http://christophermerril.net/ww/shop/bigafence htm

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Gary, I get down that way fairly regularly. The in laws live in St Pauls just a little south of you. Let me know what happens.
Thanks, Ron

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
junquecol said:
hpetty said:
Gary,

Check out http://christophermerril.net/ww/shop/bigafence htm

Bruce, I couldn't get that link didn't work for me.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks Gary. That looks like a decent auxiliary fence. I ended up with the Biesmeyer for my Unisaw only because I was concerned that it would be difficult to come up with a design for an auxiliary fence. I guess with enough thought it can be done......and done very well.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS