Tru Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I have been using Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil on gunstocks for many years. Might be beter stuff now, but I'm a mite stubborn, so I stick with it.
This little rifle, an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun, was purchased by my best friend back in 1969. It is the first gun I ever hunted with. Back then my Dad would not allow me to own a gun, so I had to borrow this one. My friend suffered a stroke when he was only 39 and he gave this rifle to me.

I still shoot it, but it was showing some age.

Ithaca001.jpg

I gave it a "$1.98 re-do". The stock I finished with Tru Oil, rubbed out a bit with rottenstone, the aluminum reciever and lever just a simple flat black Krylon spray job. The bluing on the steel was still good so it was left untouched.

007.jpg

004-5.jpg

006-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

I love this little gun!!!!!!!!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice job Tom! Gotta love Tru-Oil. Did you steam out the dents? It looks super smooth.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Actually, there were no dents to speak of, despite appearances in the top picture. The blemishes sanded out pretty easily.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tom,

That's a nifty restoration. You're friend would be proud of this legacy and your care for it. :thumbs_up

jimwill48

James
I had on of those cute little single shots when I was a teenager. My brother gave it to me for my birthday, wish I still had it. Good job on the refurbish...jw

jhreed

New User
james
You did a great job on the rifle. I loved the story, it brought tears to my eyes. You have a treasure!
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS