Triangle source for 6" steel studs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'm looking for a Triangle-area source for a couple 6" wide steel studs (actually the track that the studs would sit in).

Like this track: http://www.phillipsmfg.com/products/mcif/drywall.htm#Tracks

Not a stock item at the big boxes and while I can probably special-order, that seems to take months.

I need to make a large water tray for bending wooden bands.

Thanks,
-Mark

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Best source I know of is Triangle Material 919-469-2222. If they ask for a company name tell them it is for Inner-Tech --- Phil Soper They are in Cary Hope this helps

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Metal studs and accessories are also carried by companies such as Stock Supply co., Colonial Materials, C-K Supply Co., and Builder 1 Source if they are available in your area. Check the Yellow Pages - before they become extinct.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
+1 on Triangle Materials. They are located off James Jackson Avenue between Maynard Road and Cary Parkway. Sometimes I need just one piece of 5/8" wall board, and a couple of studs, and they treat me like one of their best customers. Ihave a steam box you are welcome to use. I used it on some curved benches three years ago and it's been stored ever since. Unfortunately, "gas can" steam generator rusted out, so you would need a large pot and a piece of plywood to make a lid.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Mark -

Could you use 6" aluminum gutter? Cut it to the right length and pop-rivet end-caps with silicone sealant.

George

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Interior Distributors on Alston Ave in Durham carry steel studs and tracks, they have 20ga and structural up to 16ga on the yard. I bought all c-shapes and tracks for my house from them.
Cheers,
Bernhard

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mark how long a piece do you need.....might can get you one for free:eusa_thin

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Phil, Dennis, Pete, Jeff, Bernhard - thanks for the tip(s). I'll make some calls on Monday.

Mike - re: steam-box. A steam box would be more versatile, but I think I need to KISS. A trough plus a hot plate and I'm in business.

Bruce - I appreciate the offer, but I'll be adding this to my long-term inventory of tools. I don't exactly work fast, ha ha.

George - aluminum gutter is a fall-back choice. I'm looking for steel for the durability, plus the C profile of the studs means I won't need to heat as much water as I would with the guttering.

Dirk - I need a min. of 6.5' of galvanized track. Let me know by PM if you have something to sell/trade/whatever.

Cheers,
-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Addendum - I bought a couple sticks of 1.25" x 8" x 10' galvanized metal track from Triangle Materials. Nice folks, easy to deal with for a walk-in sale.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS