Tree down from storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
We have an oak tree down from a storm. The trunk is about 3.5 feet in diameter and has about 12 feet of trunk before the first limb.Is this enough wood to think about cutting into boards. The tree is located in SC about 15 miles from Waxhaw.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Give Randy - Woodbutcher - a shout. He's in Waxhaw and I'm sure he'd be interested.

pete

J

jeff...

Give Randy - Woodbutcher - a shout. He's in Waxhaw and I'm sure he'd be interested.

pete

Pete was just thinking the same thing, send Randy (woodbutcher) a PM. Being oak and is over 24" diamater, it sound like it' might be a good log to QS. Depending on his mill capacity he might have to quater with a chainsaw before he puts it on the mill. Most guys I know who work with logs this big charge an hourly rate plus by the board foot quarter saw mill charge. If this is a yard tree expect to pay a damaged blade fee for log trash (metal / rocks / glass / etc...) as a lot of yard trees do have some trash.

Randy you got my number, I figured out a slick way to use a band mill to QS like the old timers did with a cicular mill. It's quite a bit easier than the way I was doing it and will give a lot more QS boards than the modified methods I've seen. Give me a shout and I'll explain it to you over the phone.

Thanks

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. Already talked with Randy and we have the ball rolling.Going to send him a picture tonight.

This tree was pulled up by the roots and is completely intact.May even have some limbs large enough to saw. It is in the middle of a pasture and has never had anything (fence wire) attached to it.

We have our first grandchild. A five week old little boy. This is going to turn into a lot of "stuff" for him.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks guys. Already talked with Randy and we have the ball rolling.Going to send him a picture tonight.

This tree was pulled up by the roots and is completely intact.May even have some limbs large enough to saw. It is in the middle of a pasture and has never had anything (fence wire) attached to it.

We have our first grandchild. A five week old little boy. This is going to turn into a lot of "stuff" for him.

Do I see a grandson gloat here?!?!?! GLOAT Grampa GLOAT!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

JohnW

New User
John
Yes...Best stealth gloat I've read in a long time. Congrats on the birth of your grandson. :eusa_danc

Good luck with the big oak. Should be a whole bunch of boards in that tree.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Forgot to metion the tree is not in my pasture. It has been given to me. Does this qualify as a real gloat.:lol:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Forgot to metion the tree is not in my pasture. It has been given to me. Does this qualify as a real gloat.:lol:

Congrats on the grandson,I just got my 2nd grandchild in Jan. the 1st granddaughter:eusa_danc .Sounds to me like you definitely got a gloat if the tree is on someone else's property.:icon_thum :icon_thum And it's a FREEBE!!!!

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:eusa_thin Hey halfblind, Jeff is right, we will have to split the log long ways first as I can only handle logs upto 31" D. We need to get together on this and figure out the plan of attack. There will be alot of lumber in that log, Close to 750+/- BF . Accroding to the international log rule, there is 725 BF in a 36" 12 foot log. Sounds like you found a small goldmine. :eusa_clap
BTW I am going to the Sawlex Sawmill Shootout in this weekend and I'll be back Saturday afternoon. Maybe we can get together then or Sunday afternoon. Oh and Congrads on your NEW Grandchild. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors