Travelled far and wide for wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Yesterday, I braved the rain to track down some wood. First stop was Newton, where I met with new member Chris (liftnaleg1). Chris is a very nice fellow. We had a great visit and I got to see some of his turnings. He does great work. Chris promptly loaded my truck with some extremely nice cherry burl. Here's what's left after I took my 125# piece out. BTW, he has more if you're looking for some awesome cherry burl!

In addition to the cherry burl that nearly filled my truck bed he loaded me up with small pieces that I can use for stoppers, pens, etc.

After leaving Newton, I headed to metropolitan Albemarle where Jackleg hooked me up with 100bf of some sweet lookin' cypress. After loading the cypress and throwing some burl back on top, I was headed home to Hillsborough. Whew... what a drive!

Thanks Reggie... thanks Chris... I'm set for a while now.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a day well spent. I remember you saying that you would visit this weekend. I wish I could have been in the Metropolitan of Albemarle for the meeting.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Nice haul, do you think you have enough burls.The metro area of Albemarle:eek: wow,now that was some driving.Look forward to seeing some of those burls turned.
Hey Chris,you got anymore,want to trade some?PM me
Greg

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
SWEEETTT!!! Can I stake claim on the one in the far right in the top pic??? PLEASE!!!

BTW: Give me a call to set up a time n place to swap that Maple...man it is some sweet wood!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
And you guys think I'm crazy? I pale in comparison to what some people will do to spin a chunk of wood :) Dude the darkside has got a hold of you, but wait there may be hope for you yet - you did mention acquiring cypress "lumber???" from Reggie, so your not totally lost - yet. Really it's ok to admitt you may needs some help - you have a strong support structure right here, ain't that right Earl?

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
It was great meeting you also....I enjoyed the lesson on the wolverine sharpener...Guys I have a ton burl freshly hauled to the garage...I would love to trade for some maple burl or oak burl...Or any other kinds of nice firgured or spalted woods. I love tigered maple or curly maple. I just love maple period...I think woodartz will tell you I give you alot more than any other place will or you have to ask for...While we were talking I just kept throwing pieces in his truck bed. He had so much we had to start putting it in his cab. He had to ask me to stop...lol

You want believe this but Saturday afternoon after you left I went bought my Jet Bandsaw( 14" resaw) yeehallll. I ran wood from the land to the garage I have probablt two times as much as I had when you came...Also I found some burled walnut, and burled dogwood...Don't worry it had already been downed by wind. Guys when I bought my bandsaw the guy gave me 500bf of cherry that is 35 years old and is all straight and finished. I will try and get some more pics of all the burls and Cherry later tomorrow after I play in the 8" of snow we are getting. Thanks for the wonderful pin also.

Don't want to hijak the thread, but let me know if you guys want to do some trading or purchase some burl.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Yep, every once in a while I have to make something flat. The cypress will be used for some Adirondack chairs. Of course, I'll sell those to pay for more turning blanks :gar-La;.

And you guys think I'm crazy? I pale in comparison to what some people will do to spin a chunk of wood :) Dude the darkside has got a hold of you, but wait there may be hope for you yet - you did mention acquiring cypress "lumber???" from Reggie, so your not totally lost - yet. Really it's ok to admitt you may needs some help - you have a strong support structure right here, ain't that right Earl?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Way to go...
People on here are like that battery rabbit
just keep going and going and going-

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
woodartz, don't forget to send me some pics of your projects you do with the wood. I cut another load today in the snow...My kids love coming and doing this with me so we made an afternoon of it. I cut wood and they rode the 4wheeler in the snow...We all were in heaven.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS