Tormek Leather honing wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm confused about how much oil to put on the wheel the first time.

I'm confused about how much oil to put on from then on.

I'm confused about how much honing paste to use.

In other words I'm confused:BangHead:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
I'm confused about how much oil to put on the wheel the first time.

I'm confused about how much oil to put on from then on.

I'm confused about how much honing paste to use.

In other words I'm confused:BangHead:

Now I am confused too.:lol: I didn't know you had to oil the wheel.:eusa_thin All I have ever used was the honing paste.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve,

Just us drop or two of mineral oil. It doesn't take much. I acutally used my dry for a good while. For the past I usually simply apply it to the bevel of the edge I'm sharpening. That is usually enough. If not, just add more. There is no right or wrong. I probably use too much when I do it, but that is ok. I get razor sharp edges.

You can use the guide if you want, but I hone freehand. I just start with the blade against the wheel, but bevel off the wheel and then raise the back end up until the bevel is riding on the wheel. After you do the bevel flip it over and remove the burr by honing the back of the blade in the same manner. It should only take you 20-30 seconds to hone a blade.

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
On the video, it showed getting it pretty wet all the way around. That way, it doesn't take as much honing compound to get it going. I have just put a dab of paste on here and there after that.

Did you get the videos? If not, I can loan them to you. I got both the VHS and DVD.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Travis Porter said:
On the video, it showed getting it pretty wet all the way around. That way, it doesn't take as much honing compound to get it going. I have just put a dab of paste on here and there after that.

Did you get the videos? If not, I can loan them to you. I got both the VHS and DVD.
I've watched the video on their website, but didn't see that part.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I don't think that one is on the web. It is definitively on the DVD. The DVD is not worth what you pay for it though. It only has 6 demo's, with set up being one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS