Tools, Tools, Oh Happy Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Tools, Tools everywhere! :eek: This is insane with the economy in shreads and all these discounts by Rockler, Woodcraft, Woodworking shops, Pennstate, and anyone who has your email. :confused_ I cannot resist some of these discounts.:eusa_doh: :dontknow: Rockler just sent me an email with 20% off and free shipping. This is Sunday morning and I should be getting ready for church and what am I doing; Ordering from Rockler and when I checked out $74.56 GONE! :help:And I "Have to" :widea:go to Raleigh today for my Grandson's Birthday Party and I know what is in Raleigh, Yep Woodcraft and The woorkworking Store. :icon_cheeI will end up going out of retirement to pay for the things I have coming in. :nah: I wonder if I can get a "Bailout"? :rotflm::no: Maybe I can tell LOL that I am going to get a "Bailout." I know her reply!:realmad: You cannot work in the shop for 2 weeks! :slap: Oh I am going to need help!:BangHead:

Terry:gar-Cr:tool::eusa_thin:gar-La;

Bryan S

Bryan
I hear ya Terry. There's a few deals I'd love to jump on but I better not right now.:cry_smile

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I know I'm weak, ordered a few things.....will power weakening.

Right now, I'm using the excuse of... Wait till the after-Christmas sale/discounts.

Tough Sledding to say the least.

Hang in there !

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I know I'm weak, ordered a few things.....will power weakening.

Right now, I'm using the excuse of... Wait till the after-Christmas sale/discounts.

Tough Sledding to say the least.

Hang in there !

By the time the after Christmas sales/discounts come I am going to be in B-I-G trouble because I want a 14" Rikon Bandsaw for resawing. I have been working on my PO Mail Box Coin Banks and some other things that is going to require a new Bandsaw. There are NO excuses for me as I have an onset of WG disease. It seems to hit this website the most I have ever seen. You try and resist but before you know it forces cause you to fall in a deep trance and off you go! I think that amoug us are discount terrorist making us fall quickly. You know we are in danger of WMD's Terry

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
By the time the after Christmas sales/discounts come I am going to be in B-I-G trouble because I want a 14" Rikon Bandsaw for resawing. I have been working on my PO Mail Box Coin Banks and some other things that is going to require a new Bandsaw. There are NO excuses for me as I have an onset of WG disease. It seems to hit this website the most I have ever seen. You try and resist but before you know it forces cause you to fall in a deep trance and off you go! I think that amoug us are discount terrorist making us fall quickly. You know we are in danger of WMD's Terry

OH MY! Now your in trouble :rotflm:

You mean like this one?
MattsShop3.JPG

Had for about a year now and just love. I bought at Klingspor before the $150-200 price increase. Good saw,table and fence good too!

Oh man, where does it end?:rolf:

All I can say is Pray. Pray for the "killer deal":rotflm:

Best of Luck
Matt

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Matt - What do you think about the Rikon Jointer?
I have one that I'm not very happy with (or should that be with which I am not very happy?) :dontknow:

pete

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Hey Matt - What do you think about the Rikon Jointer?
I have one that I'm not very happy with (or should that be with which I am not very happy?) :dontknow:

pete

Pete, sorry it took so long to respond, I am in shop, working on Gifts.

It's my first jointer, and have nothing to compare too. I do like it for several reasons:
-Enclosed base: good built in dust collection.
-Tool-less belt change, 2 speeds
-More horsepower than Delta's
-Front wheel adjustsments
-Fairly smooth and quiet and powerful.

I bought a Woodcraft when on sale which included an extra pair of planer knives, for under $400.00 plus tax.

The only thing I've have an issue with is the Poly Belt. It seems to be fussy. Needs adjusting fairly often. It seems to get stretched more than ordinary V or the Link type Belts. When stretched or loose, and when the motor brakes (slows down quickly) when shut off, the motor and belt shimmy/vibrates and sounds like it is breaking. Doesn't sound good.

It took me awhile to figure out what was happening and why. The Poly belt is like a big rubberband that stretches out and needs adjustment.

But when tensioned properly, it runs really well. Overall I am happy with.

If it this issue continues, I may experiment with the Link Style belt (which I keep one on hand). to see how it works, or get an original replacement belt (in case I got a bad belt).

I hope this helps! Let me know!
Matt

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
OH MY! Now your in trouble :rotflm:

You mean like this one?
MattsShop3.JPG

Had for about a year now and just love. I bought at Klingspor before the $150-200 price increase. Good saw,table and fence good too!

Oh man, where does it end?:rolf:

All I can say is Pray. Pray for the "killer deal":rotflm:

Best of Luck
Matt

You just had to show the picture and I started drooling.:cry_smile I want one so bad. I told LOML to get the kids to get it and she told me if I wanted it bad enough I would have to ask them myself. :embarrassed: Of course that won't happen. But I will have one very soon! I have a terrible fever for one and I think if I get it my fever will go away for at least a week. But I am working on a new design for some special wood (that I need the Rikon for). Won't try and cut this wood with my Craftsman.:roll: I pray that the LOML don't have a killer deal on me! :argue:
Terry:gar-Cr

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
When stretched or loose, and when the motor brakes (slows down quickly) when shut off, the motor and belt shimmy/vibrates and sounds like it is breaking. Doesn't sound good.

If it this issue continues, I may experiment with the Link Style belt (which I keep one on hand). to see how it works, or get an original replacement belt (in case I got a bad belt).

Mine does the same thing. I also had a hard time getting the pulleys lined up correctly. I called them up a while back and they are well aware of the problem. No real fix but they did send me a new belt; no charge.

I've thought about trying a link belt. Let me know if you give it a try.

pete

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Mine does the same thing. I also had a hard time getting the pulleys lined up correctly. I called them up a while back and they are well aware of the problem. No real fix but they did send me a new belt; no charge.

I've thought about trying a link belt. Let me know if you give it a try.

pete

Will do!

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we're on the same page.

Matt

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I feel your pain. I needed a new 2 1/2" hose for a shop vacuum. Hose and two extension wands costs almost $30. HD has 9 gallon shop vac on sale for $24.99. Comes with hose, extensions, and floor attachment. Now I still need a hose as I now have another shop vac. By the way, does the Rikon band saw "lean" as shown in he pictures? Look at vertical line of window casing, and compare to vertical line of BS. Looks like saw is about to fall over.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I feel your pain. I needed a new 2 1/2" hose for a shop vacuum. Hose and two extension wands costs almost $30. HD has 9 gallon shop vac on sale for $24.99. Comes with hose, extensions, and floor attachment. Now I still need a hose as I now have another shop vac. By the way, does the Rikon band saw "lean" as shown in he pictures? Look at vertical line of window casing, and compare to vertical line of BS. Looks like saw is about to fall over.

I have seen other people do that trick. It's a mobile base. Pop the wheels up and roll it around. Drop them all to use it. But when you push it out of the way but will likely use it again soon, you can just drop the wheels at one end as a brake.

EDIT - on closer ispection, it looks like he has the 3 wheel base and it is in the position to roll.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I have seen other people do that trick. It's a mobile base. Pop the wheels up and roll it around. Drop them all to use it. But when you push it out of the way but will likely use it again soon, you can just drop the wheels at one end as a brake.

EDIT - on closer ispection, it looks like he has the 3 wheel base and it is in the position to roll.

Your right Andy, its the leaning tower of B.Saw. Its on a HTC 2000 mobile base with the wheels in the "upright" position, but not landing.

The saw is also designed with an angled post, to give it more of a dynamic look.

I keep the wheels engaged so I can just pull away from wall when cutting longer pisas.:rotflm: Oh, wait, did I get that mixed up again?:gar-Bi

BTW, any luck with your Ryobi TS ad?

Matt

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
BTW, any luck with your Ryobi TS ad?

Matt

Maybe, kinda... I had it on CL for sale also and ended up cancelling here and there because I had enough responses on CL to be pretty confiident it would sell. I have 2 CL buyers that I have talked to (not just email) that say they each definitely want it, but not badly enough to actually come and get it yet. :rolleyes:

I have such a small shop that I only have space for a couple of stationary tools. ANd even though the little screamers are technically bench tops, I wouldn't want to use one except for small parts unless it was secured pretty well (I tried a workmate clone for a while and that was tippy) so I consider it a stationary tool.

I actually may not replace the TS, which might shock the furniture building folks, but I really don't use it that often. I have a very good PC circy saw and rail system, a chop saw, a "real" BS (14" w/riser) and recently added a benchtop router system (not really much of a gloat; I already had the router and a rail system and the table is just one of those sheet metal jobs). Anyway, between those various tools there really isn't much I could do on the TS that I can't still do. It's just more trouble to do something repeatably. A good scroll saw is actually higher on my list than a TS, but not in the near future. I could sure use one for the segmentation projects I am just starting! But I have a workaround for that (will post once I get a bit more done on them)...

EDIT - I just noticed your little screamer on the left in your photo on a nice mobile stand; I think you understand 'zactly what I mean by it being a stationary tool no matter what the box says. :)

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Maybe, kinda... I had it on CL for sale also and ended up cancelling here and there because I had enough responses on CL to be pretty confiident it would sell. I have 2 CL buyers that I have talked to (not just email) that say they each definitely want it, but not badly enough to actually come and get it yet. :rolleyes:

I have such a small shop that I only have space for a couple of stationary tools. ANd even though the little screamers are technically bench tops, I wouldn't want to use one except for small parts unless it was secured pretty well (I tried a workmate clone for a while and that was tippy) so I consider it a stationary tool.

I actually may not replace the TS, which might shock the furniture building folks, but I really don't use it that often. I have a very good PC circy saw and rail system, a chop saw, a "real" BS (14" w/riser) and recently added a benchtop router system (not really much of a gloat; I already had the router and a rail system and the table is just one of those sheet metal jobs). Anyway, between those various tools there really isn't much I could do on the TS that I can't still do. It's just more trouble to do something repeatably. A good scroll saw is actually higher on my list than a TS, but not in the near future. I could sure use one for the segmentation projects I am just starting! But I have a workaround for that (will post once I get a bit more done on them)...

EDIT - I just noticed your little screamer on the left in your photo on a nice mobile stand; I think you understand 'zactly what I mean by it being a stationary tool no matter what the box says. :)

Andy,
I think Matt leaves it that way so he doesn't have to move the table to cut 45's:rotflm: No I can't do that to Matt, :confused_it is the base! Thanks Matt!:gar-La; Terry

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Oh wow, now I know why my dovetail cuts have been looking so funny:rolf:

Matt,
You may be cutting funny dovetails, but I want to cut funny too! I still like the Rikon. Maybe I can get mine to angle the other way and we can cut dovetails both ways. :rolf: I sure like it whan a plan comes together!:eusa_clapTerry

tinman

New User
x0x0x0x0
Tools003.jpg
Terry,
You might want to take a look at this Grizzly-it's green also-and if you were wanting to actually do some resawing I think it's up to the job. Grizzly had this on sale the 21" resaw w/3hp motor-I couldn't pass it up!

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Tools003.jpg
Terry,
You might want to take a look at this Grizzly-it's green also-and if you were wanting to actually do some resawing I think it's up to the job. Grizzly had this on sale the 21" resaw w/3hp motor-I couldn't pass it up!
Ken,
That's not a BS, its a Green Monster!:eek: I could put a whole redwood in that and still have room!:eusa_pray:notworthy:
Looks Great! Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS