Tools I wish for

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A few things are missing from the market.

A stout drill press for woodworkers, multi-rib drive for lower vibration, long throw and a split head to adjust the quill slop. Don't need 18 speeds, 5 or 6 would do. I would suggest DP OEMs could sell the same machine for metal or wood by having two tables available. Seems obvious to me. Table adjustments need to come out of the dark ages. Someday I may find a good vintage one. Some of the Delta features are about right, but missing some and quality...

Hand router plane(s) with better depth adjustment. Put the rack on the cutter, not some sloppy lead screw. More cutter widths. Removeable front bridge.

Larger tables on band saws.

Dedicated shooting plane one can buy with only money.

Something like a Lyon trimmer, but with adjustments for the ways and built in clamping so it can trim a thinner amount. A shooting board/plane is not always the answer.

ALL stationary tool makers need to hire someone who understands fluid dynamics to take a serious look at dust collection. What I see even on industrial tools are mistakes we knew better about in 1900, or at least after Smith and Morrison post war.

Table saws with brakes for normal operation. It is not hard to keep the nut from spinning off. I suspect, and by my own laziness, many accidents are by impatience clearing work and waste as we don't wait for the blade to fully stop. Easy on universal motors, easy on 3-phase, but tricky on single phase induction motors.

All Table saws should have a tray that slides out to recover a dropped arbor nut.

Table Saws need multiple fence stops with micro adjustments. Kind of like on my 1898 Underwood typewriter for tab-stops.

They should offer fences in right, left, and center offset of the "T" I have never used my fence on the left. If it was offset on the T, I would have 5 inches more width for free. If I find a used fence, I may cut it apart and weld it back to make one.

Better angle and height digital readouts on table saws. Designed in, not hacked on with always dead batteries. Planers too. Calibration needs to be easy enough we would actually use it. I have a Wixe fence on my TS I almost never use and one on my DeWalt planer that again, I measure and crank more often.

A "stupid" mode on the Nova. Just speed, none of the complicated depth and stop stuff. The posts with a quick release nut do depth just fine. It would be nice if drill presses had a zero-counter weight you could engage so they could work easier as a taping machine.

If DeWalt made their planer for a 20A outlet and increased the HP by just a tad. Better, if they had a 220V version. It could then fully fill the gap between lunchbox and full stationary.

A better integrated Dust Deputy/vac system.

A much more convenient lid and bins for a ClearView. A DC should have restricted flow and full bin warnings. I am working out how to use a cheap HF multi-tool for a canister shaker.

Non-clogging plastic blast gates with a mounting bracket built in.

The Harvey Gryo DC but make the port moveable from front to top, end, or back.

I applaud companies like Bridge City for re-imagining tools, but John seems to have gotten carried away fixing things that don't need fixing. I have gained more respect for Veritas but holes in their lines. L-N I would have dismissed as just prestige until I bought one. Bench Dog helping the lower end with decent tools but cutters only so-so. Taylor tools also OK with some tune-up, but again, edges don't seem to hold up. Wood river I am mixed. They seem very good, but somehow when I grab a #4, it is my old Stanley type 16. Stanley seems to want to try with updated designs, but just too sloppy. Primus seems to be out of stock. I wonder if wood planes could stand some re-think.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have to look again. I went looking for something and did not find it. Saving up for a low angle block and some cutters for my #45

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Maybe they're missing from the market because there is no market for them.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member

A stout drill press for woodworkers, multi-rib drive for lower vibration, long throw and a split head to adjust the quill slop. Don't need 18 speeds, 5 or 6 would do. I would suggest DP OEMs could sell the same machine for metal or wood by having two tables available. Seems obvious to me. Table adjustments need to come out of the dark ages. Someday I may find a good vintage one. Some of the Delta features are about right, but missing some and quality...

Hand router plane(s) with better depth adjustment. Put the rack on the cutter, not some sloppy lead screw. More cutter widths. Removeable front bridge.

Dedicated shooting plane one can buy with only money.

Something like a Lyon trimmer, but with adjustments for the ways and built in clamping so it can trim a thinner amount. A shooting board/plane is not always the answer.

ALL stationary tool makers need to hire someone who understands fluid dynamics to take a serious look at dust collection. What I see even on industrial tools are mistakes we knew better about in 1900, or at least after Smith and Morrison post war.

Table saws with brakes for normal operation. It is not hard to keep the nut from spinning off. I suspect, and by my own laziness, many accidents are by impatience clearing work and waste as we don't wait for the blade to fully stop. Easy on universal motors, easy on 3-phase, but tricky on single phase induction motors.

All Table saws should have a tray that slides out to recover a dropped arbor nut.

Table Saws need multiple fence stops with micro adjustments. Kind of like on my 1898 Underwood typewriter for tab-stops.

They should offer fences in right, left, and center offset of the "T" I have never used my fence on the left. If it was offset on the T, I would have 5 inches more width for free. If I find a used fence, I may cut it apart and weld it back to make one.

Better angle and height digital readouts on table saws. Designed in, not hacked on with always dead batteries. Planers too. Calibration needs to be easy enough we would actually use it. I have a Wixe fence on my TS I almost never use and one on my DeWalt planer that again, I measure and crank more often.

A "stupid" mode on the Nova. Just speed, none of the complicated depth and stop stuff. The posts with a quick release nut do depth just fine. It would be nice if drill presses had a zero-counter weight you could engage so they could work easier as a taping machine.

If DeWalt made their planer for a 20A outlet and increased the HP by just a tad. Better, if they had a 220V version. It could then fully fill the gap between lunchbox and full stationary.

A better integrated Dust Deputy/vac system.

A much more convenient lid and bins for a ClearView. A DC should have restricted flow and full bin warnings. I am working out how to use a cheap HF multi-tool for a canister shaker.

Non-clogging plastic blast gates with a mounting bracket built in.

The Harvey Gryo DC but make the port moveable from front to top, end, or back.

I applaud companies like Bridge City for re-imagining tools, but John seems to have gotten carried away fixing things that don't need fixing. I have gained more respect for Veritas but holes in their lines. L-N I would have dismissed as just prestige until I bought one. Bench Dog helping the lower end with decent tools but cutters only so-so. Taylor tools also OK with some tune-up, but again, edges don't seem to hold up. Wood river I am mixed. They seem very good, but somehow when I grab a #4, it is my old Stanley type 16. Stanley seems to want to try with updated designs, but just too sloppy. Primus seems to be out of stock. I wonder if wood planes could stand some re-think.
Sounds like you need a different hobby.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User

There are some with a threaded mechanism that seems like it should work, but I haven't used one so I don't know how well they adjust or not. .

Yes!

Agreed. It seems like they've made dust collection a DIY item.

Yes, something between an Incra and what we have now which is nothing. If you have a task that requires that you go back and forth between a number of cuts, it would be nice to not have to fiddle with tapping your fence back and forth.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Gad, are some here that afraid of improvements? You want things to be harder than need be? Or do you believe every invention was already made in 1898? Do you use sharkskin for sandpaper, wooden planes, and only hide glue? Do you bleach cloth with urine and sunlight? Not me. I like the new 3M purple stuff, my iron planes, and PVA, CA, and epoxies. Clorox is great stuff. Some of my "wants" are simple corrections to existing products where they just have not thought it through. Some even class leading, but that does not mean they are perfect.

I have a lot of hobbies. Woodworking is only one. I have always been an inventor, which is necessary when restoring Little British Cars. I wish I had space and money for a milling machine, lathe, and 3D printer. I am trimming down my acoustic work as I have built amplifiers and speakers better than I can still hear. ( actually all my measurement stuff I should sell)

How big are markets? Never know until you try. Woodworking in particular supports a very large population of low volume manufacturing. Just got my K-M stop block. I use a WW scraper burnisher. A new dust hood 3D printed for my planer. ( yup, it does a little better job than the DeWalt factory port), a Froip dovetail saw, many Hock plane irons, LUX and Byrd cutter heads, etc. A bit of 3D printing might make my dustless band saw mods more elegant. Almost all parts for my

PS: "some" as I see Martin's post while I was typing :) I bet everyone can identify a little something that could be better. I do have and use some vintage tools, so I am no modernist by default. I appreciate a tool that A: works, B: is pleasing to use, C: is pleasing to look at. That combination is known as good industrial design.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Hand router plane(s) with better depth adjustment.

This simple adjustment “mechanism” works like a charm for me on my old #71.
- position the blade in the groove or dado
- loosen the thumbscrew and drop the blade onto the work
- tighten thumbscrew and make a trial cut
- tap the stem to lower the cutter (one light tap = about 1/32”)
- rinse and repeat
Note that taking a cut of more than 1/32” often makes a mess.
EC08EB8C-4D00-4C0D-B09A-DE11AC916F63.jpeg

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I don't have a #71, I have a Bench Dog. :(

Now, see how you have added a wood sole to make it a closed throat. I think a removable bridge so you could have either open or closed throat would be handy. I have a scrap of acrylic I am intending to make a removeable larger sole but I will attach it with threaded knobs, not screws so I don't need a tool to modify it. If I win the lottery, I guess I can just have one each way.

In truth, I think the original #71 adjustment is probably easier than my Bench Dog with the play in the threads, nut, bore, and notch. My point is either can be improved. Cleaning out a dado or face I am trying to tune more like 1/64 to clean the saw ridges or my cut drift. I think one could do a fine tooth rack and pinion and get the kind of micro adjustment it deserves. More complicated than a 71, but more direct than my B-D, or the L-N and Veritas. Even better if you could figure out the lock and strength, a screw like a micrometer.

Just saw a video on Wood by Wright for an improved card scraper burnisher. Good example of a small change to make things easier. Not that my old valve stem did not work just fine and my "upgrade" to a WW carbide burnisher is even slightly quicker. The Wright and even my old Triumph valve were both far easier to use than the short pointy burnisher I first bought even though you could get a decent burr with any of them. See, something very simple can still be improved with a little thought. An improvement does not mean the old way did not work, it just means it might be even better. It also does not mean we all have to upgrade. You could have a Bob Ross landscape on your wall, but I think a Turner is better. That does not mean his "happy clouds" were bad. Just Turner's were better even if not at all happy. I happen to be a big fan of JWMT.

My point of the Bridge City maybe going too far is for one, I would not like the metal tote on their planes. In their complication, they are a bit light. I don't see their all metal ( or for that matter Woodpeckers) squares to be more accurate and better than their earlier brass and rosewood. I think they perfected it, and then went too far for no benefit. I mostly use a Japanese combo square, all stainless and dead accurate, but I don't really like it. It's not friendly somehow. I have perfectly serviceable older real Marples bench chisels, but the Narlex cryo job is truly more enjoyable to use. Improved in small ways for hand force work, but I'll keep the Marples when I need to smack it with a hammer. I love my tiny L-N bronze pocket plane because it works so well and is so handy compared to a block plane, but it is a pain to adjust. It could be better.

Now folks, don't get a complex thinking your tools are all obsolete trash. If they work, they work. I just like to see what can be improved. My next project is a specific ZCI for the TS for when ripping half a blade width off an edge. I noticed the dust follows a very specific path and I think I can capture it when there is not room to swing the over-arm around.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
Now folks, don't get a complex thinking your tools are all obsolete trash.

I don't think that's exactly what people were thinking, maybe just poking fun at someone who seems to post a lot and know a lot!

I appreciate your wish list! The height adjustments on all consumer level drill presses are terrible. So many of the things you listed would be great. One fun, and often not fun, thing about woodworking is that we are inclined to make our own tools to fit our specific needs.

gator

George
Corporate Member
"They should offer fences in right, left, and center offset of the "T" I have never used my fence on the left. If it was offset on the T, I would have 5 inches more width for free. If I find a used fence, I may cut it apart and weld it back to make one."

Back when I had a Powermatic saw with an Accufence, I seldom used the fence on the left of the blade. I moved the fence rails to the right by 6" and gained that to the right of the blade. Went from 30" to 36" capacity to the right.

Forgot: Car I wished I had never sold = '55 MG TF1500

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
The only time I move the fence to the left of the blade is for beveled cuts. I have an older right-tilt saw and putting the fence on the right is more likely to invite kickback.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Improvements are only half the story - the other half is - How much extra would you pay to have these features/improvements?

Many here won't entertain the high price of Festool products. I suspect one of the reasons Festool prices are higher is because they offer a novel design that (often) works better. However, because their tool designs don't share parts commonality with the major tool manufacturers, it increases the overall cost (more R&D, higher manufacturing costs, plus a premium for these unique features).

And the third half is - How many people desire these improvements...

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Improvements are only half the story - the other half is - How much extra would you pay to have these features/improvements?
Some things like improved dust collection on band saws would cost hardly anything. I made a dust port for my Jet 14" band saw that cost me $6 in PVC pipe and magnets for which I paid retail prices. Jet wouldn't be paying retail and could realize economies of scale to reduce that to 2 or 3 bucks or even less and exponentially increase the machine's dust collection capability.

How many more BSs could they sell if they trumpeted its superior dust collection over the competition? They could easily charge $25 or $50 more for a $1300 saw. $50 is just a 4% price increase. Or they could keep the price the same and recoup the 2 or 3 bucks in increased sales.

People pay two, three, or four times as much for a Festool product over similar tools from other manufacturers in part because of their well thought out dust collection. People invest thousands of dollars in duct collectors, dust extractors, cyclones, piping, shrouds and adapters, but the most critical element of dust collection is right where the dust is generated and that's precisely where many manufacturers have failed us.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Some things like improved dust collection on band saws would cost hardly anything. I made a dust port for my Jet 14" band saw that cost me $6 in PVC pipe and magnets for which I paid retail prices. Jet wouldn't be paying retail and could realize economies of scale to reduce that to 2 or 3 bucks or even less and exponentially increase the machine's dust collection capability.

How many more BSs could they sell if they trumpeted its superior dust collection over the competition? They could easily charge $25 or $50 more for a $1300 saw. $50 is just a 4% price increase. Or they could keep the price the same and recoup the 2 or 3 bucks in increased sales.

People pay two, three, or four times as much for a Festool product over similar tools from other manufacturers in part because of their well thought out dust collection. People invest thousands of dollars in duct collectors, dust extractors, cyclones, piping, shrouds and adapters, but the most critical element of dust collection is right where the dust is generated and that's precisely where many manufacturers have failed us.
Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, Rikon, Laguna, and all the rest are in the reselling business, not the product development or innovation business. If you read about the origins of SawStop, the inventor tried to sell his technology to the big brands. No one was interested because again - they are not in the innovation business and the SawStop tech was unproven. In fact, the inventor did not want to manufacture table saws, but that was the only path open to him. Its very hard to innovate at a large company (I work at a Fortune 50 IT company, it really is impossible) - the easier path for large companies is to purchase small companies/start-ups that have a novel product like what your describing or to copy it.

You also have to view the opportunity cost from the large resellers perspective - in other words, what can't they invest in if they spend the money to improve their current bandsaw models that are already in high demand? From their point of view, its probably a better bet to spend the money on expanding their product line vs. tweaking an existing design that sells just fine.

You can probably tell by now that my day job is in finance and business operations, although not in the woodworking tool world, so these are educated guesses on my part.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS