Tools for inlay work

Status
Not open for further replies.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm interested in doing some inlay work and am curious about what sort of traditional tools were used for cutting the fine grooves that are required for the banding (curved and straight). I made a scratch stock that does a good job of cutting a 1/16" wide groove that is parallel to an edge. What about the tools and methods used for cutting curved grooves? Some of the more recent articles I've read mention the use of rotary tools with dental bits, but I'd prefer to go "old school" and use hand tools. Veritas offer these: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=69875&cat=1. I've also seen a wheel design that scores going in one direction and cleans the groove when going in the opposite direction. What tools were used in the 18/19th century when the Federal style was popularized?

Thanks,
Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, welcome to NCWW. It would be helpful if you go to the Who we are forum and tell us a bit about yourself. I do some inlay work but I use a scrollsaw.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have recently started doing some inlay work. I have used a dermal with a Veritas base, but VERY much prefer using pure hand tools for the line and berry inlay.
Steve Latta designed a very nice set of inlay tools, they are sold by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Maine.

Here are some photos of my curved work
IMG_4094.jpg
IMG_4097.jpg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
I live in NE Raleigh. Feel free to stop by and test drive these tools

When you need to order your inlay material, Matt is the only source to consider

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Phil! I believe I met you at Klingspor's in Cary at their last showcase event. I recall discussing tooling with you at that time and you mentioned Steve Latta. Are you able to cut free-form grooves using Steve's design (by free-form I mean curves that are *not* arcs from a circle)?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
What tools were used in the 18/19th century when the Federal style was popularized?

You asked about the 18th century and the Fed style? Here's one example.

B52.JPG

Here is the piece of brass for the finial before it is put in place and tapped with a hammer lightly.
B61.JPG

B7.JPG

release_parts_4_.jpg

The piece below is "pierced" brass like many of the late period escutcheon plates on pulls for cabinets.
A_3_1.JPG

C72.JPG

1-22_Mar_2018_024.JPG

This is one of the ways it was done with brass. I have inlet many inlays of bone and horn in parts of rifles I have built. Horn was an easy material to heat and bend into objects to use-- combs etc.

mz21.jpg

This is graphite being applied. It promotes the flow of lead or babbet.

nc2.jpg

I am doing a muzzle-cap in the near future in my shop here in Durham. If you want to come by, let me know and perhaps I can show you something?

Last edited:

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work on the gun stock! My initial interest was in the tool(s) used for curved string inlay. I prefer hand tools, but will use a Dremel to follow a template if that gives me the best results. I was curious what specialized hand tools were used in the 18th century for doing string inlay.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice work on the gun stock! My initial interest was in the tool(s) used for curved string inlay. I prefer hand tools, but will use a Dremel to follow a template if that gives me the best results. I was curious what specialized hand tools were used in the 18th century for doing string inlay.

Pattern work in the periods I have studied did not exist for the most part. I focused on the Rococo period of carving and inlay ideas. Here is a photo of Wallace Gusler's work. This is nothing but a screw driver shaped with a file for cutting/compressing the grain.

wgus.jpg

gunsmith1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS