Too big of a hurry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Sunday I was cutting some tenon cheeks on the TS with my tenoning jig. I set up for the cut and ran a couple of scrap pieces through to get the measurement right. When I put the first piece in I realized that I had the cut off piece between the blade and jig. Then I thought I've only got a few to do. As anyone with a grain Of sense would predict, on about the third tenon the cut off cheek caught and was thrown into my stomach. I was afraid to look at first. Because I am well padded in that area I escaped with only a small cut and an ugly bruise. The sad part is I knew better. :saw:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ouch. Glad you escaped with a small cut & bruise - and a big dent to your ego. It only takes one piece.....

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Larry,

I'm glad the injury was minor. This sounds like something too many of us have done. (I appreciate the warning for me to think and behave.)

Ray

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
It is amazing what a fastball a table saw has!

Good to hear the lesson was learned without to much damage.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've done it, more than once, but only got hit only once and it hurt like hades. When we're in a hurry and know better it's kind of like a bug going towards a light, we know better, but we've got to do it. Then when it happens it's like a train wreck, no matter how fast it happens you can picture it slow motion, all the time saying "I knew I shouldn't have done this".

I hope vereything feels better soon.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks that gives me a new one...."Honey, I'm not getting fat, it's kick-back protection" :widea::gar-La;:gar-La;
I am glad to hear it wasn't worse. And thanks for the reminder, threads like these are always helpful to keep safety fresh in our minds. Although my heart drops every time I see a thread title like this.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am glad that all you wound up with was a small cut and an ugly bruise, don't think that I have ever seen a pretty bruise though.:rotflm: Thanks for the safety reminder though.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Ouch, glad you're ok.

Reminds me of the time I was cutting some 1/4" aluminum on my TS. A offcut got caught in the blade and shot back at me. I moved as fast as I could, it tore my shirt and continued to put a dent in the steel door 10 ft behind me. That's when I quit for the day, besides, I had to go check my pants.

be safe!

TBone

New User
Tommy
Glad you're ok. Thanks for the reminder. Safety is something for which we all need reminding.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Glad you're okay, Larry. I've only had one real kickback and it bruised me, too -- i.e., I was lucky. It felt like getting punched in the stomach. I'm a lot more careful around the TS now.

:kermit: Steve

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Larry, I did that very thing one time too, several years ago, and got the same result. Being padded there I was afraid to look but since I didn't see blood oozing through my fingers I figured it was safe to look. I was very slightly cut and badly bruised, and it hurt like the dickens!! No matter how long it takes now, I'm not in that big of a hurry now. I'm glad you're ok, and the padding there has to be helpful. You can say it is one good reason to be 'healthy' around the midsection. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS