Today's Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Well I started off this morning bright and early pulling a load of 1x7 flat sawn and 4/4 quartersawn sycamore to Scott's kiln (pictures taken last night)

We unloaded and everything went well, they were stacking the kiln carts when I left. So I head up 440 to US 1 on my way to pick up logs, low and behold it was wall to wall cars when I hit Capital Blvd. Stop and go, stop and go... bumper to bumper.... Well during one of these stops, I stopped but my trailer didn't want to go. All I could see was smoke back there and a screeching sound coming from one wheel. I managed to pull into the strip mall by Lifeway and found a curb, jockeyed the trailer over the curb so the front wheel was off the ground and determine the brake drum froze on that wheel. Off comes the tire and I filled up at Quiznos for lunch...

Frozen brake drum and what happens to a perfectly good tire when the brakes freeze and you can't get off the road because of traffic soon enough :-(

After lunch, it's off to pick up logs. While at the loggers, this deer dog comes up to me and must have thought I was his owner or something. He leaned his head against my leg and everywhere I went he was right there beside me. I got ready to leave and the dog jumped in the back of my pickup - like it was time to go home or something. It took me about 10 mins to convince the dog I was leaving and he was staying. I even threw a stick and jumped in the truck and headed on down the road. Here comes the dog with the stick in his mouth and jumps in the back of the pickup (as I'm driving yet). He was trained pretty well because he understood and loud commanding SIT and STAY command. I escaped and he stayed... :-D sorry no doggie pictures...

Yep call me foolish, I've been called worse, but I still hauled logs home. I didn't pick up all I wanted and was a little lighter this load than usual only because my trailer had three tires. But I picked up some ambrosia maple to fill a customer order and could not resist a few more sycamores to play with, you know?

Maple and Sycamore load:

Ambrosia Maple closeup:

Ambrosia Sycamore closeup:

Man what a weird day Now just have to fix the brakes on that one wheel and get a new tire :-(. But at least I got some pretty logs :-D

Thanks

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hey Jeff,

Looks like a nice haul.

That largest diameter log on the passenger side... it that sycamore? It looks pretty clear. As you know from the last trip... right up my alley.

Please pencil me in for some greenies from that one. At least the same (100bf) as last time. :eusa_danc

Thanks,
-Kevin

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The ruined tire sucks but I'm glad you were able to get the trailer off the road okay. Why does bad luck like that always seem to happen in the worst place?

The dog thing sounds pretty funny! :lol: :lol:

The ambrosia maple look interesting. :eusa_thin

Chuck

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Nice haul Jeff and the tire deal sucks especially on Capitol Blvd. Come to think of it there's been few times that I've been on that road when traffic didn't suck.

J

jeff...

Hey Jeff,

Looks like a nice haul.

That largest diameter log on the passenger side... it that sycamore? It looks pretty clear. As you know from the last trip... right up my alley.

Please pencil me in for some greenies from that one. At least the same (100bf) as last time. :eusa_danc

Thanks,
-Kevin

Kevin, I grabbed that log thinking you mentioned your looking for minimal ambrosia. It's got a really well defined oval grain pattern so it should QS into 4/4 thick for appearance pretty well. It's also 16' long, but I'm going to cut it back to two 8'ers. I'll get a hold of you when I got it sliced up.

Thanks

J

jeff...

The ruined tire sucks but I'm glad you were able to get the trailer off the road okay. Why does bad luck like that always seem to happen in the worst place?

The dog thing sounds pretty funny! :lol: :lol:

The ambrosia maple look interesting. :eusa_thin

Chuck

I think it's called Murphy's law? What can happen will happen or something like that.

I still need to dig into the root cause of the brake locking up. All that stop and go on capital really gave my brakes a work out, being empty was probably worse than if I would have had a little weight on the trailer.. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS