Tiny wood gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a problem, although I have more pen blanks than can turn and create more almost every weekend, I can't pass up on the chance to get the next spectacular piece of wood to turn. So when I stopped by Klingspor today to see what was left still on sale, this little bugger was calling to me. I just couldn't leave it, it looked so lonely. And with 20% off on wood, the price wasn't too expensive..only $12.75 per pound :roll: :roll: I was able to justify it by looking at the cost of a single Amboyna pen blank for $5-10 a piece. I should be able to get a few out of this 3.6# slab. Although it's almost to pretty to slice up :eusa_droo

Amboyna_slab_001.jpg

Any tips on how to slice it, if I can bring myself to it??

Dave:) (currently trading Amboyna for other burl or nice pen kits :-D :-D :-D )

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave,
Just flatten the bottom so it will sit flat. It's already what it needs to be :mrgreen:

Roger

J

jeff...

Dave, if you simply can not bring yourself to cutting that chunk, let me know - I'll take it off your hands for you.

dozer

Mike
You could make a top for a jewelry box out of it and use the scraps for pen blanks...... Thats what I was going to do with it but decided to heed the boss's warning and not bring home any more wood.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thats what I was going to do with it but...

You saw in person and were able to resist it's force. You're a stronger man than I. 8-O :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is there any grain orientation to Amboyna that bring out the best in it or is it just all good????? :eusa_thin

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
it's all GOOD :lol: If you do decide to make pen blanks out of it try to cut it so the blaks will have same sap wood in them also the 2 tone effect is a fantastic look on the pen.

And I didn't buy the Amboyna because I bout the Buckeye Burl instead :rolf: just don't tell the boss.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
YOU SUCK

I have looked at that a couple of times :eusa_doh: We will need to talk I could help you slice it you:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
it's all GOOD :lol: If you do decide to make pen blanks out of it try to cut it so the blaks will have same sap wood in them also the 2 tone effect is a fantastic look on the pen.

And I didn't buy the Amboyna because I bout the Buckeye Burl instead :rolf: just don't tell the boss.

Thanks Mike, I saw some 2-tone Amboyna for sale on the IAP, it was the highest priced group of blanks offered @ $7.50 a piece. I should be able to get 5 or 6 out of this slab. That will just about cover my cost...plus the remaining 3/4 of the slab still left.
I am glad to hear that you have no more will-power than I...just different taste in burls:lol: :lol: Wanna trade some :-D

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Actually, three of us were looking at that burl, Dave-O. I had already "saved" $85 Sun, so I was broke! I'm still tryin' to figure out what happened: I went to the Cherry-fest, but didn't buy any wood. However, it WAS in the HF parking lot, and it WAS right across the street from Klingspors, and Jim also had an item I "Needed" so with all the sales, I saved so much I came home broke!??
Last time I went to a "fest", I saved a bunch on Black Walnut and came home broke!
Guess its some kinda Physics Law: Wood & Tools (W & T) are the opposite of $$, so when W & T increases, there is an equal and opposite transaction of $$. I guess "saving" is the catalyst that makes it happen??:rolf::rolf:

That IS a beautiful piece of burl!
Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Go, here's my funny math. I bought the burl for ~$46. I should be able to get ~20 pen blanks out of it. I would have spent $100+ to buy those blanks. So I have saved more money than I spent....right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's how I explained it to my wife, it's my story and I'm sticking to it :-D

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Dave...that is absolutely gorgeous...the amboyna certainly stands out as one of the all time top burls...especially with the sapwood mixed in. If you decide to give up pens, i'll be happy to help you out with the wood...

So, what do you think gang...do I have a better chance of seeing God or what!?!?! :rotflm:

Chris

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't know whether to tell you to dress for altitude or heat, but I really don't think you'll get much chance of snatchin' any of DaveO's Amboyna. (I think he's gone over to the "dark' side and doin' a right fine job of it too!!) However, after gettin' hit by lightning about 7 times and meteors 3 times, you may want to consider the lottery. Odds will be in your favor then, and if you win, maybe you'll be able to buy some!!:rolf::rolf:

Go

cskipper

Cathy
Gee, Dave, I've never turned any of this. You know that I'm a diehard pen fan, but it seems a shame to not make something larger out of this piece!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I'm glad you found that piece(not that I can afford such woods)
Worrying about how to cut it is a nice problem to have.
Every piece of wood I See I wonder how thin can I cut it and what kind of glue up can I put it in.
I realize that train of thought is scarerligous but that is how my weird mind thinks.
I don['t buy much expensive wood, instead I "dumpster dive" at local wood workers, roadside cast offs,and what ever.
Then again I probably buy more glue than most.
As far as the cost, ONE nice pen should MORE than pay for the burl, the rest are all profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors