This one tried my patience but I think it was worth it.

JayMan72

Jay
User
Hey all,

Here is my latest project. First time making a hollow form.

Special thanks to turner Jim McConnachie. He posted an Art Deco style hollow form that he had made and it was the inspiration that brought me to this project. It also got me out of my “turners block”.

Species:
Wenge
Coconut (The timber not the shells.)
Maple
Redheart
Maple and Black Veneer

Size:
10 1/2 x 4 3/4

Finish:
Friction Polish

Number of pieces:
222 (148 is just the top)

I hope you all enjoy this.

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpeg
    IMG_6503.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6504.jpeg
    IMG_6504.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6507.jpeg
    IMG_6507.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 100

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's beautiful! Nicely done.

I'm curious about working with coconut. I would expect this to be a rather soft, fibrous and spongy material. Do you have to do anything to harden it before working? Where did you get coconut?

JayMan72

Jay
User
That's beautiful! Nicely done.

I'm curious about working with coconut. I would expect this to be a rather soft, fibrous and spongy material. Do you have to do anything to harden it before working? Where did you get coconut?
Jim,

This Coconut lumber is basically like Black Palm. It's actually rather dense/heavy. Splinters like Black Palm and Wenge. Did not need to be stabilized at all.

The place I got it from explained to me that they got it from a Coconut plantation that had been abandoned like 30+ years ago. Normally Coconut trees only bare fruit for like 30 to 35 years and they don't normally ever get big enough to produce lumber. Because the plantation was abandoned, the tress just kept growing which made them large enough to actually be turned into lumber. In fact the place I got them from stated that all of the boards were initially 20 feet long so he cut all of them in half to get them to 10 foot lengths.

I might be able to work out a deal to get some up here if there is enough interest.

Mmkmm226

Matt
User
Hey all,

Here is my latest project. First time making a hollow form.

Special thanks to turner Jim McConnachie. He posted an Art Deco style hollow form that he had made and it was the inspiration that brought me to this project. It also got me out of my “turners block”.

Species:
Wenge
Coconut (The timber not the shells.)
Maple
Redheart
Maple and Black Veneer

Size:
10 1/2 x 4 3/4

Finish:
Friction Polish

Number of pieces:
222 (148 is just the top)