THIS is why I love this group!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
After last year’s Extravaganza I bought a new Dewalt Scroll Saw. I already had a stand because the person that got my old saw didn’t want the stand.
Why this matters:
I didn’t have a stand to put the teaching saw on at the extravaganza (it was mine and I am using it).
I remembered about a wheelchair stand we used years ago for an event, this was in my shop buried somewhere in the back. Did they want to buy a stand for the teaching saw or do they want me to bring this wheelchair stand? I dug it out, cleaned it up, it was in good condition. But wouldn’t work for the general public. So a new stand was purchased.

During the course of the second day at the Extravaganza I was asked to teach a teenager in a wheelchair. HE LOVED IT! Even though his nose was just above the table! The dad said that he has a scroll saw at home and he will get in on something that the boy can use. When they walked away I RAN to Phil and STARTED to explain everything and ask if I could give this wheelchair stand away he just read my mind and said YES! I found the family and explained what we wanted to do.

This past Sunday my son and I drove to Myrtle beach and delivered the wheelchair stand that had just been collecting dust.

Funny how things work out. I just wanted my Dewalt back. If I didn’t would I have even thought about the stand hidden in the back of my shop.

1698862373529.jpeg

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Awesome story! I can attest to the fact that Berta RAN after the family as I was an eye witness. Way to go Berta and NCWW.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Awesome Berta. I’m so happy you were able to help this young fellow out.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wonderful story. IIRC, these handicap adaptable stands were first used at Wounded Warrior Outreach and Klingspor events. Their visibility seems to have waned some over the years but I believe if they are given a more prominent presence at these events they will go a long way towards encouraging handicapped individuals to explore an outlet heretofore not thought about.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Awesome story! Things happen and people meet for reasons, and when the reason is kindness it makes the world a bit better.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is AWESOME!!!
VERY thoughtful and a good use of a product (resource) that we were not using that someone now gets a LOT of use out of!!!

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
Devin is a great guy and a buddy of mine and he comments on every post I do on my YouTube page, he is a long time fan of mine and has wanted to scroll saw like me for ages. I finally got to meet him and his Mom and Dad, who is also an amazing woodworker when I was on vacation in Myrtle Beach SC.
I invited them to the Woodworking Extravaganza and to my surprise they showed up! Both Richard and Matt can attest that I got emotional seeing them, for them to drive that far to see me and attend an amazing woodworking show was very humbling to me.
Berta then mentioned to me if he (Devin) wanted to learn to scroll and mentioned the lift she had at home.
Nobody knows how happy I am that Devin is now able to scroll and he is so happy.
I LOVE The NC Woodworkers and the Woodworking Community!

Attachments

• 394275017_7274637995902931_746266816156703209_n.jpg
    394275017_7274637995902931_746266816156703209_n.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 69
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 71
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 72

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great gesture on your part Berta! And big shout out to NCWW for helping this young man out

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Devin is a great guy and a buddy of mine and he comments on every post I do on my YouTube page, he is a long time fan of mine and has wanted to scroll saw like me for ages. I finally got to meet him and his Mom and Dad, who is also an amazing woodworker when I was on vacation in Myrtle Beach SC.
I invited them to the Woodworking Extravaganza and to my surprise they showed up! Both Richard and Matt can attest that I got emotional seeing them, for them to drive that far to see me and attend an amazing woodworking show was very humbling to me.
Berta then mentioned to me if he (Devin) wanted to learn to scroll and mentioned the lift she had at home.
Nobody knows how happy I am that Devin is now able to scroll and he is so happy.
I LOVE The NC Woodworkers and the Woodworking Community!
I did enjoy teaching him. He was so eager to learn!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS