This Evenings Project ... a Serving Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, the weekend has been busy but I was able to squeeze in a couple hours Sunday afternoon to build a prototype serving tray. Since it appears to have been a success, I plan on making a set for my mother (yes, getting started in Christmas gifts for next year! :lol:)

Just a dry fit so far ... it still needs sanding and finish ...

P1010037.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010038.JPG

It is made of Brazilian Cherry with a 1/4" plywood base covered with cork.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice :eusa_clap , I like the idea of the cork covered base. Where did you find the cork material to do that?

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I picked the cork up on a roll at Michael's for $5 with the 50% coupon. It's peel-n-stick style, which is really nice.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Jeremy - good project . . .

Could be a great time to cut some angled dovetails :eusa_danc

pete

RobD

New User
Rob
Wow, that is almost exactly the style of serving tray I have on my project list. I hope mine turn out half as nice as your's did.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Jeremy, I like the tray. Apparently you're much more productive in the shop than me. Pretty spiffy for a couple hours work. :icon_thum

Maybe I should show this post to LOML..."see, honey, Jeremy is much more productive than me. It's because he has all of these really nice tools/machines"...how's that logic? :lol:

Chuck

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Excellent idea! Only caution I will give is that cork stains easily. So tell Mama to be careful when she is serving tea and biscuits...Nice work, Jeremy.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Only caution I will give is that cork stains easily.

Interesting to hear that ... I was reading another article that said cork was a naturally stain-resistant material ... I guess I need to find out if I should coat it with something. D'oh! :slap:

PS - I have to say the idea is not my original ... it is based on one I saw in a magazine a couple years (?) ago. I'm just finally making it. It's a simple, but good, project if you're tight on time.

RobD

New User
Rob
Do you happen to still know which mag/issue? I am still on the new side of woodworking and have found that my success rate isn't that great when I don't go from a plan.

DavidF

New User
David
Is the base in a dado in the sides as well? It looks flush to the ends of the handles from the photo. Would it not bend under load if it isn't?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Is the base in a dado in the sides as well? It looks flush to the ends of the handles from the photo. Would it not bend under load if it isn't?

The dado is in the sides and ends and the bottom rests in all of them. There is a 30degree half-lap (?) joint consealing the edges too. If I've built it right, when I build multiple they will rest in each other with a minor modification.

DavidF

New User
David
The dado is in the sides and ends and the bottom rests in all of them. There is a 30degree half-lap (?) joint consealing the edges too. If I've built it right, when I build multiple they will rest in each other with a minor modification.

Ah, ok. Sounds great. I really must make something similar for serving afternoon tea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS