Thinking ShopFox..... Think again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
A couple of weeks ago I was working in the shop and I smelled something funny. I stopped what I was doing to take a look around. There, next to the door, was my dust collector with smoke coming out of the little black box that sits on top of the motor. The little black box contains the start capacitor and some wiring from the on/off switch. So, relying on my keen understanding and knowledge of motors and machinery, I pulled the plug out of the wall and the smoking stopped. Having now used up all of my keen understanding of motors and machinery, I tried calling "tech support" at ShopFox (Woodstock, Int) only to find out I needed to send them an email. So, I did. The next day, I got a phone call from the "tech". I explained what was happening with my dust collector and he suggested that I replace the capacitor. I agreed and attempted to order a replacement. "Oh no!" he said. "You can't order parts from us. We only deal with dealers. You'll have to order the part from a ShopFox dealer." And he proceeded to give me a list of dealers within 4,000 miles of my house. I called the dealer that I bought the equipment from (in Greenville, NC) only to find out that he was out of business. So I called the next dealer on the list. He didn't have the part, but could order it from ShopFox but not until January 3rd. And.... he doesn't accept credit cards so I would have to drive to his place of business to pay for it and pick it up. Forget it. Next on my list was Klingspor. Yes, Klingspor is a ShopFox dealer but they don't carry parts and won't (or can't) order them.

By now I'm getting steamed! I decide to go to the best motor shop in Greenville to see if I can get a replacement capacitor. He had one - same specs but a slightly longer size. I bought it, took it home- installed it, and ...... still smoking. Back to the phone to call Woodstock again. But they're closed until January 3rd - 'please try us again at that time'.

The question is "what good is ShopFox?" I can't be without a dust collector for a month while I try to figure out what's really wrong with this machine. I have no complaints about the ShopFox machinery - they're adequate for my needs. But, as they get older, I'll need parts for them. I can order Grizzley parts from Grizzley, Delta parts from Delta, etc. but I can't order ShopFox parts from ShopFox. How can they compete with the competition with no customer service at all? Needless to say, when replacement time comes, ShopFox will not be on my list.

Any body got a good deal on a broom?

Ernie

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I believe grizzly and shop fox are one in the same except for the paint. give grizzly a call and see if they can help. sounds like a wire may have shorted out in there. look to see if there are any bare or melted wires in the box. are you sure that is where the smoke is coming from?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ouch! Sounds like you are having a tough time. I wonder if you mailed a complaint to their Corporate Offices detailing what you said here if it would get any response? I would include a reminder that you are on several woodworking forums and would be happy to post on how they handle this!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I believe grizzly and shop fox are one in the same except for the paint. give grizzly a call and see if they can help. sounds like a wire may have shorted out in there. look to see if there are any bare or melted wires in the box. are you sure that is where the smoke is coming from?

Fred, I checked the Grizzly manual - the capacitors are not the same. As for the smoke, it's hard to tell if its coming from the capacitor or the wires. The smell, however, is definitely coming from the capacitor. I will check for bare or melted wires. If I find some, I'll get some help from someone who knows what they're doing. I sure don't.

Ed: Letter already sent - let's see what happens.

Ernie

manfre

New User
Manfre
Ouch! Sounds like you are having a tough time. I wonder if you mailed a complaint to their Corporate Offices detailing what you said here if it would get any response? I would include a reminder that you are on several woodworking forums and would be happy to post on how they handle this!

I'd mention how the experience with the dust collector already has its own post and is turning potential buyers away from the brand. To me, customer service is more important than the quality of the product. Event superb manufacturers have their oops moments and a quality product has the potential for being complete crap if their QA has an oops moment. CS can save the impression, but only if they are good.

Sully

New User
jay
With the new capacitor installed and the cover off, you should be able to isolate the origin of the smoke. Check to see if any of the wires have grounded out to the motor frame.

It sounds to me like something more serious than the capacitor. A short on a winding or a centrifugal switch with dirty contacts could also be a problem. You might want to take the endbells of the motor and give it a blast of air. If for one would not use it, until the problem has been isolated. Last thing you need is a fire.

$0.02
J

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Dust collector! That's a job for Alan of Washington!
He can have you straightened out mucho quick.

Joe: Already heard from Alan via PM. He's on the case.:eusa_danc

I for one would not use it, until the problem has been isolated. Last thing you need is a fire.
Jay: No chance of me using it 'till it's fixed. Even after it's fixed I'll be uncomfortable with it for a while.

Ernie

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have had nothing but top notch performance from the shop fox machines I own. Sorry you had trouble. I'd check with the vendor you purchased them from. They should be able to help. I know the vendor I bought mine from would bend over backward to help a customer.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I have had nothing but top notch performance from the shop fox machines I own. Sorry you had trouble. I'd check with the vendor you purchased them from. They should be able to help. I know the vendor I bought mine from would bend over backward to help a customer.

Tracy, I agree. I've had, and have, no qualms about the machinery. It's the lack of support and parts availability that are troublesome. Any machine, no matter the quality, will eventually need some replacement parts. When that happens, it's nice to know you can get what you need from the company that sold the machine in the first place.

My original vendor was absolutely first class. Not only did he deliver all the machinery into my shop, but he stayed the entire day and helped me set the machines up. Unfortunately, he recently went out of business - I guess his customer service was too good. My point is you shouldn't have to make many phone calls, write letters, etc. just to buy replacement parts. Why, in this day and age, does any company think our time is worth so little and theirs is worth so much? What if my table saw went down and I had a deadline to meet? Am I supposed to wait a month until someone decides to do me the honor of selling me a part? I don't think so.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Tracy, I agree. I've had, and have, no qualms about the machinery. It's the lack of support and parts availability that are troublesome. Any machine, no matter the quality, will eventually need some replacement parts. When that happens, it's nice to know you can get what you need from the company that sold the machine in the first place.

My original vendor was absolutely first class. Not only did he deliver all the machinery into my shop, but he stayed the entire day and helped me set the machines up. Unfortunately, he recently went out of business - I guess his customer service was too good. My point is you shouldn't have to make many phone calls, write letters, etc. just to buy replacement parts. Why, in this day and age, does any company think our time is worth so little and theirs is worth so much? What if my table saw went down and I had a deadline to meet? Am I supposed to wait a month until someone decides to do me the honor of selling me a part? I don't think so.

I would think that any shop fox vendor could help you at this stage in the game. If you need the vendor list I would think Shop Fox would supply this info to you. But I could be wrong....

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I would think that any shop fox vendor could help you at this stage in the game. If you need the vendor list I would think Shop Fox would supply this info to you. But I could be wrong....

Technically, yes. I've discovered, through my many phone calls, that many, if not the majority, of vendors are really re-sellers. They don't stock parts and some won't even order them for you. Even if this wasn't the case, ordering parts is still problematic. You call the dealer - the dealer either calls Woodstock and orders the part, or waits until he has a larger order and calls them in at the same time. Then you get to wait until Woodstock delivers the part to the dealer. Then the dealer calls you up to tell you your part is in. The part is not mailed directly to the consumer. So, you get to take a half day off to go pick up your $8.00 part. This might be a good way to do business for the company but it's not very good for the consumer. There is a better way - Grizzly does it and it's the same company!

FlyingRon

Ron
Did you try the woodworking source info over there------------------------>

I think he handles shopfox and he's probably sympathetic to your plight.

THe other issue is to forget shopfox and call up a motor place. Nothing particularly magic about these motors.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I agree with Ron, pull the motor and take it to your trusted motor shop. I like to pm motors periodically(clean, dip, bake, and bearings)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks for all your suggestions. If Alan can't figure out the problem (it would be the first time), I'll take the motor to a motor shop. I didn't think to call Rick, but he's now at the top of my dealer list. I'll let you all know what the problem is/was.

I'm sure I'll get it fixed, but my original reason for subjecting NCWW to my rant is the difficulty of getting parts. I guess I have to live with the fact that getting parts will be a matter of weeks instead of days.

Ernie

cptully

New User
Chris
Just a thought... I have a Rigid Table Saw that I am mostly happy with, but anybody who looks carefully will notice that it has non-stock hand wheels for the blade height and tilt. The original hand wheels were plastic and split after a few years of use. When I went looking for replacements, Rigid wanted ~$25 ea for more plastic. I called Grizzly on a whim, having seen metal hand wheels on their table saws. It took some careful measurement and explanation to the tech on the phone at Grizzly, but he happily helped me identify a Grizzly metal hand wheel that would fit the shaft of my Rigid TS, and sold me a pair of solid metal hand wheels for LESS than a single plastic one from Rigid! Guess which company I will be looking at for my next big machine?

How is this relevant here? Just an illustration of the opposite end of the customer service spectrum...

Good luck with ShopFox - I hope they listen to your letter!

Chris

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ernie,

I'm sorry you've had so many hoops to jump through with this, but thanks for sharing. I really look forward to knowing what the problem is and what the response is from Shop Fox. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Just a thought... I have a Rigid Table Saw that I am mostly happy with, but anybody who looks carefully will notice that it has non-stock hand wheels for the blade height and tilt. The original hand wheels were plastic and split after a few years of use. When I went looking for replacements, Rigid wanted ~$25 ea for more plastic. I called Grizzly on a whim, having seen metal hand wheels on their table saws. It took some careful measurement and explanation to the tech on the phone at Grizzly, but he happily helped me identify a Grizzly metal hand wheel that would fit the shaft of my Rigid TS, and sold me a pair of solid metal hand wheels for LESS than a single plastic one from Rigid! Guess which company I will be looking at for my next big machine?

How is this relevant here? Just an illustration of the opposite end of the customer service spectrum...

Chris

Thanks Chris - I rest my case!:wsmile:
Ernie

FlyingRon

Ron

Chris

Hmm...doesn't Grizzly sell Shop Fox stuff too? Maybe you should call Griz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS