Thinking of selling pecan/hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

I've got three pecan (I think) trees I'm going to be taking down and hopefully converting into lumber. It's too much for me so I'm interested in selling some of it. I should have about 2000bf when it's done. Haven't decided on a price since I'm not even sure it makes sense to sell it. I'm in the Chapel Hill area. You'd have to come get it.

Comments?

Thanks,
Mark

[to summarize the thread, they seem to be pignut hickory]

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If you have straight sections too small to mill or limbs that are 6' or more in length and 3" or more in diameter, I may be interested in them for bows. But I can only offer to take them as an alternative to the landfill. It's not just being cheap on my part (I am and have no problem admitting it); it's that I already have plenty (including some pecan) and I am finding more that people want hauled off faster than I can use it. I have quit looking actively. But pecan is preferable enough that I would figure out a place to store it.

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

Yeah, I'll bet I do have limbs like that you're welcome to. Let me get the other two trees down and I'll take a look.

Mark

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mark...let me know when you get It cut and how much...I would be interested in some..thanks.....

Dirk:eek:ccasion1

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm interested. I am considering either white oak or pecan for my next big project. I'd need somewhere in the 500-1000bf for the project, I think. I assume it'll be wet - which is ok if you've sealed the ends properly. I have space to air-dry and might consider building a cheap dehumidifier/kiln. When are you taking it down? I'll have time this weekend...

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

OK, I hate to admit this but I can't tell what the trees are. I have an oak that has to come down along with the three other trees. I think one is a walnut since it has a large brown center and the other two are hickories (or pecans) but I guess I won't know until I get the wood sliced up (hopefully in a few days). If only one is a walnut I'll probably keep that wood.

I'll let you all know what I end up with, unless someone has a foolproof way of figuring this out.

I've talked to a sawyer who said he'll come out some time next week.

Mark

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Take a picture of the branch/leaves and post it. We'll have better luck determining the species from the leaves than from the wood.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Chris beat me to the punch. :)

Make sure you get a branch. The pattern of the placement of multiple leaves relative to each other is as important as leaf shape (in fact probaby more important if you are already pretty sure it is some species of carya).

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi All,

Here's a pdf with some photos. The trees in back are a bit of a mess and it's tough to tell if I have all the leaves showing. They're not very thick but moderately tall. The trunk is sure interesting.

I really appreciate the id help.

http://www.audua.com/Files/yardwood.pdf

Mark

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

I took a long look and certainly the photo of pignut leaves I saw looked just like it and the description/habitat matches well. That's great! I really appreciate the help.

The trunks are pretty straight and long so I'll bet the lumber is really pretty, albeit harder than heck to massage. If I hadn't just built a 300lb workbench I'd probably use this for it. Instead I've got at least a bed in mind.

Well, next to see how many bf I get out of it and what it looks like.

I was thinking about trying some steam bending and I hear it's pretty easy with non-kiln/wet lumber - sounds perfect for bent table legs or chair legs/seats.

Regards,
Mark

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mark, 2000 board feet from three logs sounds a bit high to me, unless you're working with the size of logs that I normally work with...

If you can tell me the od and approximate lengths of your logs I'll calculate an estimated board footage for you.

As an example, I bought a white oak log today that measures 39" across and 17' long. It has around 900 board feet of usable lumber in it.

Scott

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

OK, Just to make sure I'm not losing my mind I went out at 10:30pm and measured my logs with a flashlight. I only measured one side of each log for width (maybe including bark but rounding down to the nearest inch) and I'm sure I missed a couple of logs. They're pretty skinny (no 40" logs there) but moderately straight.

Length Width
(front tree)
15ft 8in
16 8
12 12
8 12
8 9
8 9
15 18
16 18
(back trees)
16 16
20 9
11 12
10 17
28 16
38 14
17 10

Thanks,
Mark

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hmm, that's a lot more than 3 threes!

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you a specific breakdown (for some reason I'm not able to paste the copy from Excel...). Measured on the Doyle scale (more accurate for smaller logs) your logs should yield 1370 bd ft. According to the International scale they would yield 1842 bd ft.

I have found that Doyle is more accurate for smaller logs, and International more accurate for larger ones (over 30" diameter).

Regards,

Scott

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

Thanks a bunch for the help. That kind of jibed with my rough guess given the yield on that big log. The three trees were skinnier than I thought given their height (80+ft). Well, it's still a lot of hickory.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS