Thinkin' Spring.....Picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
We will recheck with the park but we think it okey to bring a cooker in the park. Also since we have a few people on Weight watchers could we cookup some chicken breats too?
dick

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dick and Rita and Picnic commitee. On the Jordon lake issue(s) this is what I rember from years past. The "100" person shelters cost $85. Last year we had the picnic at Ebenezer Picnic "A" The facility was great, It easily handled our 160 people and withe addition of those portable 10x10 shelters and extra tables that people brought, we were able to spread out a bit.

When I went to reserve the area, I was told about a private area like you described and but it was $2500 for the day . $2500 vs $85 :nah: So I asked if any the areas could handle 150 people and they recommended Ebenezer. The only problem was that the $5 per extra person optionwas no longer available:swoon: So, let the tears roll:cry_smile and explained how little organization couldn't afford $2500:no:, they called someone on the phone and the next thing I knew they reserved the area at $85 and wrote down that we could have 150 people.:eusa_danc

Of course every year the process has changed, so Idon'tknow what the rules are this year. I also don't know if white oak was the place theywere talking about last year for $2500 and it is just price reduced or this is a new place.

Anyway, if we don't cater and do it the way people seem to be suggesting, then as treasurer, I can say we can afford it, if $1500 is necessary.

The next question is how many people can we expect? Assuming we don't charge and don't do anything to make anyone feel that they have to donate are anything else and we make all users of the site feel welcome as we have every other year. Then I can safely predict close to 200. When the you guys put up a poll, I've acouple of rules of thumb that will let us get a pretty good extimate.

Glennbear

Glenn
I checked out Dick's pictures of White Oak and it is indeed an awesome looking structure. As I recall from last year we did have some minor "table space" issues and I think White Oak would eliminate such problems. When the point is reached for "who brings what?" I am in for my several coolers and the ice. :wsmile:

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Sign me up for the committee - to assist in planning , doing or whatever, before and after the event.
Pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sign me up for the committee - to assist in planning , doing or whatever, before and after the event.
Pete

Consider yourself part of the Picnic Planning commitee. Thanks for offering to help :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, Here are some of the logistics of a BBQ for 400 that we did last year at State Fair with Campers on a Mission (They minister to fair workers.) 190 pounds of pork shoulders, 100 pounds of both potatoes, and cabbage, 20 pounds of House Autry hush puppy mix (with onions), four gallons of cooking oil, thirty gallons of ice tea, ten large cans of baked beans. I have a couple of cookers, large pots and burners, slaw cutter that will process 100 pounds of cabbage in about 30 minutes, hush puppy mixer, dropper, and fryer along with water kegs to keep tea in. My ice maker makes 400 pound a day, so ice shouldn't be a problem. Easiest way to get pork is through Nahunta at farmers market, and produce from R&H right behind there. Only problem is produce has to be picked up by 2:00PM, as that when they close for the day. In May, pork could be picked up at same time. I have and extra ref,. it could be kept in. It takes about 10 hard working people to pull this off. but now comes the fun part- clean up. Oh I left out country ham and biscutt mix- the cooks do get hungry.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So you are going to be part of the planning committee :cool:
Thanks for volunteering. Steve told me that you suggested the pig picking/shoulder roast and I think it's pure genius :icon_thum
I would love to be able to plan for 400 but more realistically we are probably looking at 200 max.
I think that if we can handle the meat, the rest of the membership can chip in the sides, deserts, and beverages.
Scott has offered his cooker, which is the sweetest thing I've ever seen (not surprising). I am sure that we can come up with at least 10 good hardworking cooks to get this going and many more to help with the clean-up.
I think that we have a good plan here.

DavidF

New User
David
I don't think I can help much with the planning as work is taking me out of State/Country a lot leading up to the picnic, but I will be there early to help set up.

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
I went to the Jordan Lake office today and talked to them about White Oak. Since I am an ex employee they put us down as a possiblity for White Oak on May 16.....I need to tell them one way or another by this time next month. We are written in the book so for now no one else can take it. This doesn't comitt us but it will help keep others from reserving it on that date. The price is now $1250 for it for all day....8am to 9pm.
Cookers are ok..but you cann;t get in before 8am.
they do have horse shoes for the horse shoe pits and will supply one volley ball.
They would like it if we can have a downloaded card or anything that is able to let the ticket booth operator know that people are with our group so they don't let in anyone who isn't a member into the area.
The park entrance is right on Hwy Rt 64.
If anyone (Dave-O or Steve) want to see the place before we finalize the reservation just let me know and I will call them and they will open the gate for us...they need a hour notice before we will need it open to make sure it is open for us.
If there are any questions you have just let me know and if I don't know the answer I can get it.
There is electricity if we need it also bathrooms and water avalible.

On another note if I bring chicken breasts how many do you think I will need?
Rita

gator

George
Corporate Member
Dave -

I'm too far away to get involved in much of the planning, but, like DavidF, I can get there early to help with any set-up and I can volunteer to do the reception table and sign members in and hand out name badges.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I went to the Jordan Lake office today and talked to them about White Oak. Since I am an ex employee they put us down as a possiblity for White Oak on May 16.....I need to tell them one way or another by this time next month. We are written in the book so for now no one else can take it. This doesn't comitt us but it will help keep others from reserving it on that date. The price is now $1250 for it for all day....8am to 9pm.
Cookers are ok..but you cann;t get in before 8am.
they do have horse shoes for the horse shoe pits and will supply one volley ball.
They would like it if we can have a downloaded card or anything that is able to let the ticket booth operator know that people are with our group so they don't let in anyone who isn't a member into the area.
The park entrance is right on Hwy Rt 64.
If anyone (Dave-O or Steve) want to see the place before we finalize the reservation just let me know and I will call them and they will open the gate for us...they need a hour notice before we will need it open to make sure it is open for us.
If there are any questions you have just let me know and if I don't know the answer I can get it.
There is electricity if we need it also bathrooms and water avalible.

On another note if I bring chicken breasts how many do you think I will need?
Rita

Rita, thank-you very much for looking into this and getting it tentatively booked, at a great rate. I have a feeling that we will have to use it. We were pushing the occupation limit at the shelter last year. I sure hope that we will have a bigger turn-out this year. I or the Planning Committee are going to start a poll to get a preliminary count of folks hoping to attend so we can determine if we need the larger facility. We should be able to confirm within a month.
Thanks again :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,

Count me in for the commitee. I also have a 20' x 20' canopy setup, and a few very large pots and pans.
Let me know when you need me.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Excellent Jimmy, consider yourself counted.

I think that we have a great 4 member committe now. Y'all will be designated as so, and I will soon send out your marching orders :gar-Bi

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Dave,
As always I will be willing to furnish ALL of the HD Knives, Forks, Spoons, Napkins, Large Cups, Plates, Table Covers, Hand Wipes and of course Deviled Horseradish Eggs (4 dozen just for you) This should help one area for the committee to put this on there list and block out as complete. If they need more I will be glad to help out. Terry

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,

Count me out for the commitee. After talking it over with the LOML, we've decided that I will not have the time to be on the commitee. I will, however, be available for set up and beh able to help on the day of.

I'm sorry for any inconveniences that this has caused, hopefully someone else can step up and take my place.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Thanks Terry, you Rock, especially with the Deviled Eggs.

I want you too remember these deviled eggs! I have added a ZIP :help:to them. I tried them out at Christmas with my son and he said that they had a BIG ZIP :eek:you won't forget, and he wanted more. Fixed him 3 dozen and no one else got any of them. Enjoy! Terry:gar-La;:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS