The Ugly Dovetail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

New User
Tim
Some of you may have already seen this in other places. I did my first dovetail joint last night and learned a lot. Each time I do one I hope to learn a little bit more. I've made this short video (and actually showing it) for 2 reasons. 1-To document my progress so I can see how I've improved in a year or so, 2-Give you all a good laugh and show you that mistakes are made, but to learn you first have to JUST DO IT. [video=youtube;X4PIkGMRZFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4PIkGMRZFE[/video]

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Tim. I think that has happened to more people than will admit.

Hope you jumped right back on that horse and rode it home.

I don't know why I haven't noticed your posts before... I thought I saw 5 in the post count and it is actually 50.

I must be gone over that old hill...

Since you are in Thomasville, will you be coming to our monthly meeting at the Moose Cafe in the farmer's market of I-40 this Saturday evening?
We usually meet for lunch every third Thursday but once a quarter we meet on Saturday night for folks that can't take a long lunch.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Your dovetails are 100% better than mine....never made one. Thanks for sharing the video, I probably learned more from it than someone cutting a perfect dovetail!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve Coles and I once took a dovetail class from Roy Underhill. Not sure who's was worse, Steve's or mine. Both were pretty bad. Like most aspects in WW you get better with each one you do.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Date your practice joints and date them. You could also mark the problem areas. That way you have a running "hard copy" record to go along with your videos.

-G

b4man

New User
Barbara
You are the BOMB Timmy! Please come to our Triad Lunch Bunch on the 3rd Thursday. I need to meet you:icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tim,

Love the video. I agree that ya gotta jump in there and just do it in order to learn. Next is the retrospective analysis and the realization like how in the heck did I mess that up. Next time I'll... :confused:

Scott Meek

New User
Scott
I agree with Gazzer about dating your practice joints.

Not to hijack the post, but what is this about meeting at Moose Cafe? That's only 3 minutes from my house!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hey Scott,

A group of us around Greensboro meet every month at the Moose in the State Farmer's Market off I-40.

Wish we could meet at your local Moose but my lunch break is not that long.

cskipper

Cathy
There's no such thing as an ugly or failed dovetail. They are merely lessons learned and/or design modifications! :wsmile: As long as you don't give up you win!

Scott Meek

New User
Scott
Hey Scott,

A group of us around Greensboro meet every month at the Moose in the State Farmer's Market off I-40.

Wish we could meet at your local Moose but my lunch break is not that long.

Ahhh, I didn't realize there were multiple Moose Cafes, let alone both at farmer's markets.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS